Hi All,

Can someone tell me when the Kiowa Warrier got the new, wider engine/intake mountings?   They are definitely NOT represented on the 72nd scale Italeri kit!

Also, when are we going to get some resin love for updates on 1/72nd helicopters, especially complete E.C.M. gear, weapon racks/pylons, cockpits, etc. to bring our kits to latest standards?  (Although, putting a SOLID resin engine housing on the Italeri kit would destroy the landing skids!)

Sure wish I could start my own resin accessories company, maybe call it "Helo Love".  (patent pending! :-)

Thanks,

WARDOG

Sorry but 1/72nd scale resin stuff doesn't sell.  Decals don't do much better.  As far as the wider cowling goes, sometime around 1996 I think.  I could be wrong.  Our unarmed ones didn't have them and when 3/4 Cav replaced us in Bosnia they didn't have them either.  When we got our new helicopters in 1996 we had them.

Floyd

Some of the the late-service OH-58Ds had the wider engine air intake removed. So it would then be case of just adding the late-service antenna fit, RWRs and flares kit, and 50-cal gun and ammo box on the left side with rockets or Hellfire on the right weapons station.  

oh-58d-kiowa-warrior.jpg?w=624

maxresdefault.jpg

LD.

If anyone has access to Ft Campbell, they've got a OH-58D on static display. It still has all the gear in back and it looks like the MMS is complete, too.

I just haven't been able to photos yet, whenever I go to the PX or pharmacy, I forget to take my camera. :dontknow:

Thanks for the info and pics Gents, 

Floyd, I know you're on the front lines as far as how sales are going for 72nd scale stuff and I'm sorry to hear that 72nd scale stuff doesn't sell too well.  I'm strictly a 72nd scale guy for space (...The final frontier!) reasons and because of the wider variety of subjects like fighters, cargo, etc. types.  That being said, I WISH a LOT of your stuff was in 72nd scale, I would have a HUGH pile of it by now!

I also wish that my scratch-building skills were better so that I could make my own mods (especially the interior for a UH-60 "Dust-off" bird,  but we all know what we can do with "wishes".

Loach Driver and Don, please share your photos with us!

Appreciate ALL the help,

WARDOG

Maybe it was to save some weight. I'd imagine all the various electronic systems on a late-service OH-58D have added extra weight overall so maybe the intakes were one place weight could be trimmed down. Hopefully Floyd will have the inside story on this mod to the late-service Ds.

LD.

22 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

Maybe it was to save some weight. I'd imagine all the various electronic systems on a late-service OH-58D have added extra weight overall so maybe the intakes were one place weight could be trimmed down. Hopefully Floyd will have the inside story on this mod to the late-service Ds

It is always about weight.  They determined that the Mk.66 didn't have as much effect on the Warrior.  Then you can remove it and add more fuel or ammo.  Its always about weight.  Sometimes it is safety related, CABS, but normally it is weight.

Floyd