Since the Sea Fury is almost finished and there's two months to go I'm going to attempt a third kit.

It's an old boxing of the Fairey Firefly.

I need advice. I've ordered a sheet of decals from Mike Belcher that includes two RCN Firefly schemes. One is the EDSG over sky grey and the other is an earlier, pre-maple leaf roundel in temperate sea scheme.

Which would you rather see? I can work on the wings and paint the little dudes, but I have to decide before I work on the cockpit as it will determine whether it's black or interior green.

YUhwJpB.jpg

Do the EDSG/Sky Grey as we need more CDN Naval Maple Leafs !  Most decal people don't even realize they are different from the same vintage Air Force leafs or even worse , like in the Sword Seafire 15 or AZ Chipmunks, use modern maple leafs regardless of the time period. Belcher knows the difference. While the early Canadian machines did use roundels I view them as little different than run of the mill British markings and this is the Canadian group build.....

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, RCAFFAN said:

Do the EDSG/Sky Grey as we need more CDN Naval Maple Leafs !  Most decal people don't even realize they are different from the same vintage Air Force leafs or even worse , like in the Sword Seafire 15 or AZ Chipmunks, use modern maple leafs regardless of the time period. Belcher knows the difference. While the early Canadian machines did use roundels I view them as little different than run of the mill British markings and this is the Canadian group build.....

I was leaning that way too. Even if I don't get the Belcher decals I've got an old sheet printed by IPMS Canada that's got the right leafs. I'm hoping Mike gets them to me though, the IPMS sheet is something like 25 years old.

Personally I hope that your IPMS sheet is just fine but that could be because I have two of them also. For what it is worth, they were fine when I last used them on a Hobbycraft Banshee (kit decals sucked) but that was a number of years ago. Hope Mike comes through for you. He's certainly delivered for me in the past....

17 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

Personally I hope that your IPMS sheet is just fine but that could be because I have two of them also. For what it is worth, they were fine when I last used them on a Hobbycraft Banshee (kit decals sucked) but that was a number of years ago. Hope Mike comes through for you. He's certainly delivered for me in the past....

It's been bleaching in the window for about three weeks now. It's a lot better than when I first taped it up but there's still some yellowing. And...I don't know how much better it's going to get this season now that the autumn rains have started.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Fuselage and wings are assembled, rescribed, reriveted and redzused. I whittled the seat backs so they're not foot-thick slabs and I painted the little dudes after some whittling on them too. I have the clear parts Future dipped. I haven't decided if I'll glue them to the fuselage before or after I paint the frames. It's is going to get decals from the IPMS sheet. I received the sheet from Mike Belcher but the schemes on it are all for early Mk Is and this kit is a 5.

MFnCHKH.jpg
0prgHav.jpg

OZnbWLD.jpg

QqMjy90.jpg

mqr0jsQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The big parts are glued together and there's some paint on the little parts.

There's also a coat of Tamiya gray primer on the airframe. The rivets look pretty good.

Now that the B-17 and Sea Fury are done I can shift to "make it so" gear on this.

ZlCDsGz.jpg

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
  • 3 weeks later...

Two weeks to go in the group build, I should be able to bring the Firefly in on time. It's all painted and the stickers are next.

GyVke5r.jpg

Here's a shot with some extra light to show the rivets.

T63BPbG.jpg

How I masked the tail demarcations

m4Bu8uu.jpg

Paint done and airframe futured. Also painted the coaming under the windscreen and the exhaust area. Tamiya Nato black for the coaming and the recess and MM jet exhaust for the stacks. The leading edge of the wing took quite a while to mask with the tanks and masking the 20mm shrouds.

99gVX5a.jpg

one more shot to show the -18°C winter sky.

Looks really good so far. Too bad you guys are getting the short end of the weather right now.  5 degrees C here today and was +15 C on Monday and Tuesday so not much snow around here except on the local ski hill across the valley where they make it.....Guess it keeps you in to work on models though. Got to go as package just arrived from Hannants :woo:

I sympathize with your weather in VT. Just subtract a further 10 to 15 degrees C, and you get our weather here. I recall flying into Burlington from Bagotville to fight against the ANG F-16s in the fall. We would take off from here, fight in airspace to the NorthEast of Burlington, then land for debrief, lunch, and brief, before doing it again then recovering back in Bagotville. Those guys from the 158th were super nice and great in flight as well.

It would be snow-covered here, and the leaves were still on the trees with a beautiful clear blue fall sky and green grass in Burlington. It's not Florida, but it beats the weather we've had in Eastern/Central Canada for the last several years!

Looking really nice. Great job on the paint.

ALF

The model is complete. The finishing touches are decals from the same IPMS Canada sheet I used on the Sea Fury,  panel line wash using "War Pigs" pastel wash, an antenna using Uschi "Rig that thing" fine elastic and a final varnish of a 50/50 mix of Testors Dull Coat and Gloss Coat.

iushT4J.jpg

e8aCJyo.jpg

lxjQZ4k.jpg

Tx9KYoF.jpg