1/48 Kitty Hawk Su-35S Flanker-E, Russian Air Force, 2014

Hi all!

I present to you my latest project, the 1/48 Kitty Hawk Su-35S Flanker-E, "Red 08" in the unique Eggplant Dark Gray scheme of the Russian Air Force, circa 2014.

This is really a great kit that has excellent fit almost everywhere, with the wing joins being the notable exception.  The kit is not without other issues, however.  The exhaust nozzles are molded in the straight position which would only be correct for a powered up machine, not drooped at rest.  The stinger tail has flare boxes on the top, which is only correct for the prototypes and early production aircraft.  Luckily for me, I wanted to do an early production Eggplant Gray aircraft so the stinger tail is correct OOB for my build.  If one wants to do a current in-service aircraft, this would not be correct.

Aftermarket used were the AMUR Reaver thrust vectoring nozzle to fix the droop issue, and Begemot Decals.  The Begemot Decal sheet includes all the needed stencils for both the aircraft and weapons.  The weapons are all OOB, and they are very nice, although I am no expert on the real ones, so I cannot comment on accuracy.  But they look pretty accurate to me.  I think this kit includes pretty much every Russian missile, bomb, and rocket pod currently in use.  This will be a nice addition to my weapons bin ( The KH Fitter was the same way, so I am set with Russian Ordnance for a while!)  I used copper wire for the static wicks, some thin scrap parts for the 4 straight probes near the nose cone, and a piece of scrap clear sprue to simulate the interior of the IRST.

So, one of the things I really wanted to concentrate on this build was the metalwork.  The real aircraft have an amazing array of colors from the heat-stressed titanium, and I am quite pleased with how that turned out.  It does look a bit exaggerated in some pics, but in person the look is about perfect.  The AMUR Nozzles are quite nice and are easy to remove from casting blocks, clean up, paint, and assemble. Very happy with these.

I really enjoyed building this kit, and recommend it to everyone.  I know the GWH Su-35 is coming, and I will be getting that one as well to do a blue camo in-service jet.  But for someone wanting to do the splinter camo prototype or an early batch Eggplant jet, I would say get this kit.   Hope you enjoy!

Kit: 1/48 Kitty Hawk Su-35S Flanker-E

Decals: Begemot 48-039 Su-35 "New Generation of the Flanker"

Aftermarket: A.M.U.R. Reaver Thrust Vectoring Nozzles

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Gray 1200 (main aircraft primer base) and Mr. Surfacer Black 1500,   Akan Sukhoi Cockpit Blue-Gray, Mr Paint MRP-205 Eggplant Dark Gray, MRP-196 Light Blue, and MRP-032 Green for Wheels, Gunze Aqueous H305 Gunship Gray and H308 FS FS36375 Light Ghost Gray , Tamiya Rubber Black, Clear Blue, and Clear Yellow, Gunze Mr Color GX2 Gloss Black (gloss black primer for metalwork) and Alclad II Hot Metal Violet, Airframe Aluminum, Gold Titanium, and Jet Exhaust. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 10:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Medium and Deep Gray panel washes.

396453-16625-22.jpg

396463-16625-62.jpg

396472-16625-87.jpg

396460-16625-84.jpg

396477-16625-74.jpg

396465-16625-44.jpg

396457-16625-79.jpg

396479-16625-34.jpg

396462-16625-76.jpg

396452-16625-83.jpg

On 10/29/2017 at 8:06 PM, Janissary said:

Awesomeness all around!

Thanks Janissary!

16 hours ago, rom said:

great work!

Thanks, rom, I really appreciate that!

14 hours ago, sjelic said:

Great looking in that paint, I like it a lot, great contrast with dark overall and metal art in the rear, now I should get one :rolleyes: and didn't plan to...

Thanks Sasa!  I think that contrast is really what makes the model so interesting to look at.  Hehe, yes, you should get one!  :-)

10 hours ago, Silenoz said:

very nice work... metal parts are looking very good, as is the whole plane actually... 

Thanks Silenoz!

9 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Congrats on a very well done model !!

Thanks again Red for you kind words and support!

5 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Beautiful job, Fighting-Eighty Four!   You weren't kidding when you told me not to blink or I might miss it.

Thanks CJ!  Haha, yeah, I wasn't kidding!  I build very quickly, and this one took me almost exactly one month.  That seems to be my rate, one about every 3-4 weeks.

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

Awesome job.  I really like the metal work- looks very realistic!  I’m looking forward to your build of the GWH Su-35!

Steve

Thanks Steve, metalwork is my favorite thing to do of all modelling tasks.  I also look forward to my GWH Su-35 lol.  Now only if someone would release an Su-30SM.  I would build it right away if that happened!  :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 1:56 PM, Solo said:

Very nice model, especially the metalwork is really good.

I am going to make this model soon, so it is good to hear that here is no fitting issues.

Good job.

Thanks Solo!   I think you will really enjoy building this, I know I did.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:34 PM, kike said:

Mighty good!! great model!!

Thanks kike! It means a lot coming from you, I am a HUGE fan of your Venezuelan Su-30!

On 11/4/2017 at 1:19 AM, kotey said:

Great job amd thank you for use our decals.

Thanks Andrey!  I have used your decals several times now and always are top notch.  Thanks for providing such great products for us modellers!

On 11/5/2017 at 3:25 PM, R Spreckley said:

Stunning 

Thanks Richard!

On 11/13/2017 at 5:25 AM, CaptainObvious said:

Yet another awesome finish.

Kudos!

Thanks Cap, I always appreciate your feedback!

On 11/27/2017 at 11:35 AM, DanW said:

Very nice job on this one. I got one today (Chinese AF). What bothers me is canopy. It's very thick on sides. Seems strange. Was yours similar? 

Thanks Dan!  I didn't really notice the canopy being too thick, and it doesn't seem to be noticeable on the finished model.

On 1/28/2018 at 5:54 PM, B.Sin said:

Beautiful work!

Thanks Brad!  I appreciate the kind words.

On 1/28/2018 at 6:17 PM, The Madhatter said:

this looks suitably menacing! nice load out too

Thanks Mh!  It does look menacing in that color with all that ordnance... and that was my intention!  :-)

Beautiful work!! I like the engines covers and nozzels, very artistic.

I am waiting for GWH one, but seeing this one I am considering KH now. Seems like it has nice surface details. Generally I like KH kits, no matter what some other might say.