Mission Model Paints

How many of you have tried Mission Model Paints? I have now sprayed a test card and the lower half of a 1/72 F/A-18A kit and I have to say this stuff sprays nice. I have tried the Vallejo paints and they are pretty good themselves but I am leaning towards Mission Model Paints. I'll post pics as soon as I get the Hornet's top half painted. 

Honestly, I've taken a pass on trying out any more new lines of acrylic paints as there just seems to be a new brand every month or so. I've settle on Mig Ammo for specific colors and Tamiya for basic colors and easy 2 color mixes where the Mig line doesn't have that color. I'm also going to be testing out the Akan line as my brother just loves them. 

For me the real difference in how paints react to air brushing is their base. I don't really like water based paints like Life Color as an example. I just couldn't solve the tip clogging nor spitting issues. Like so many of us when we came back into the hobby, we started off with Tamiya paints rather then going back to the enamel paints that we used in the 70s. Tamiya paints aren't water based, they're alcohol based, and air brush differently. I'm use to those properties, and prefer other paints within that base medium. 

At this point, I'm looking at purchasing a spray booth and trying out Mr. Color Lacquers and the new Tamiya Lacquers when they're released shortly.

Joel

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Honestly, I've taken a pass on trying out any more new lines of acrylic paints as there just seems to be a new brand every month or so. I've settle on Mig Ammo for specific colors and Tamiya for basic colors and easy 2 color mixes where the Mig line doesn't have that color. I'm also going to be testing out the Akan line as my brother just loves them. 

For me the real difference in how paints react to air brushing is their base. I don't really like water based paints like Life Color as an example. I just couldn't solve the tip clogging nor spitting issues. Like so many of us when we came back into the hobby, we started off with Tamiya paints rather then going back to the enamel paints that we used in the 70s. Tamiya paints aren't water based, they're alcohol based, and air brush differently. I'm use to those properties, and prefer other paints within that base medium. 

At this point, I'm looking at purchasing a spray booth and trying out Mr. Color Lacquers and the new Tamiya Lacquers when they're released shortly.

Joel

I would like to try Tamiya and Mr. Paint myself. Tamiya paint range doesn't cover some of my needs and when I go to order Mr. Paint half of the colors I want are not in stock anywhere. For now I am going with the Mission line. 

I saw the Mission Models demo at the NATs and I was really impressed.  

I have purchased several colors and tried them out on a paint hulk, and I agree, they spray very well. The paint goes on smooth and you can spray fine lines.  They go on smooth enough where  you can apply decals without a clear coat. I tested this on my paint hulk as well.  I did not experience any tip dry.  Just be sure to follow the guidance on thinning on the website. They work a little differently than other paints.  I did not even need to turn on my spray booth, it was a little weird to airbrush with out the noise of the spray booth. 

And yes, I agree with you, Tamiya is good paint, but they just do not have  many of the colors I need.  MRP is probably the greatest paint ever, but it is very hard to find. 

Mission Paints aren't available from my usual online resources: Sprue Brothers, & Scale Hobbyist.com.  I know that UMM-USA carries them, his shipping takes a lot longer, and honestly just ordering a few bottles of paint always seems to led to ordering other things I really don't need.

As for MRP paints, I use them exclusively for interior colors as they even have Salmon. you can get them from Hobbyworld-USA.

Joel

I understand that there are resources out there for Mission paints, but  I tend to buy needed colors along with AM parts and decals for up coming builds if I have the model or not in my small stash. It's just not worth the postage/shipping for a few bottles of paint as a separate purchase, so I'll stick to my two regular online sources. 

Joel

The paint looks nice and smooth, but it's hard to tell from photographs one way or the other. 

I've also just seen that AK paints has come out with a line of military lacquer colors.  Seems like lacquer based paints are making a comeback these days

Joel

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Seems like lacquer based paints are making a comeback these days

They are, without doubt, the best type of paint... While they're intolerant of poor airbrushing practice, the rewards far exceed the effort!

Saw a few ads from AK paints that now they have a full lacquer line of colors equal to their acrylic line, but I've yet to find a single online retailer who carries AK products that has their new line of paints.

Joel