Great representation if this aircraft Bob.  I have a few questions for you.  Are those the kit decals?  If not what set did you use?  Also if the checkerboard is a decal, could you elaborate a little on how you accomplished this?  Was it simply repeated coats of micro-set and sol?  Thanks in advance as this bird and quite a few other checker nose are on my "to do" list...

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, those are the kit decals from the Aces of the 8th boxing. And yes, the checkerboards are all kit decals. I used Gunze Mr Mark Setter and Softner as my decal solutions and the decals responded brilliantly to those solutions. I highly recommend these solutions for Tamiya and Hasegawa decals. The Setter was particularly valuable as it made the decal slightly pliable but still relatively strong so I could use a damp cotton bud to push-pull and manipulate into position without tearing much. After the Setter dried, I then hit the decals with a final coat of Softner to finish them off. After laying down one side, I was able to match the checks pretty nicely for subsequent pieces and overlap around all the curves, details, etc. A lot of careful slow tedious work, but I was rather pleased with the end result. I know a lot of people don't like Tamiya decals, but those in this boxing are superb. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-10-31 at 9:28 AM, modelingbob said:

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, those are the kit decals from the Aces of the 8th boxing. And yes, the checkerboards are all kit decals. I used Gunze Mr Mark Setter and Softner as my decal solutions and the decals responded brilliantly to those solutions. I highly recommend these solutions for Tamiya and Hasegawa decals. The Setter was particularly valuable as it made the decal slightly pliable but still relatively strong so I could use a damp cotton bud to push-pull and manipulate into position without tearing much. After the Setter dried, I then hit the decals with a final coat of Softner to finish them off. After laying down one side, I was able to match the checks pretty nicely for subsequent pieces and overlap around all the curves, details, etc. A lot of careful slow tedious work, but I was rather pleased with the end result. I know a lot of people don't like Tamiya decals, but those in this boxing are superb. 

I think in this boxing the decals are produced by Invisaclear.