F-4H1 VF-74 "First in Phantoms"

Hello everybody...

With Academy now having a very nice early Phantom available in 1/48...not that the old Hasegawa was really bad...I might want to dig up a project that I have not followed since I was about 10 or so. Like probaly the vast majority of modellers my age I had the "Jack of all Trades" Airfix Phantom 2 in 1/72. My favourite version was the "red lightning" bird...:-)

So we have the -B Phantom now, we also have Bryan's (Hypersonic) super nice early wing tanks, unsloted stabalizers and the Navy MB5 seats...but do we have decals? I am after the 1961 cruise on the Forrestal like in the picture shown...

F4H-1_Phantom_II_VF-74_in_flight_1961.jp

thanks

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

Not to change the subject, but is this phantom carrying a towed target? I'm wondering what the red fin-like shape is under the starboard drop tank, and also what the dark tube and cone is visible just behind the tank's pylon.

BTW I too built this Airfix kit. I did it as the Israeli F-4E with the cannon pods. Lots of Brrrrtttt...

Uwe,

You might consider useing an old Eagle Strike sheet # 48008 Phantoms Phorever Pt.3 for some  the VF-74 markings.

Even thoe it is for a F-4J you could use the Red Lightning bolt and the white VF-74.

Or if you can find it there was a sheet for a F-4H-1 Phantom II with the VF-74 markings by Experts - Choice # 48-48.

As far as the USS FORRESTAL markings you might try CAM Decals #48-A024a U.S. Aircraft Carrier Names.

Make certain that the F-4 you build is equipped with the McDonnell Douglas ejection seat and the rudder is Gull Grey not white.

Hope this is helpful 🤔

Cheers,

Mr.Happy(In name only)

Superscale sheet 48-857 has similar markings for F-4J 153711 AJ 201 with VF-74 but on USS America

Edited by habu2
Correcting autocorrect on my #%+* phone... :(