1/72 Ryan PT-22 Recruit G-RLWG ( PT-20 kit with resin conversion )

• 4 weeks later...

There's not much in the way of markings on the Ryan and since the model is to be mounted in a picture frame, and the underside won't be seen, I didn't bother printing the underside registration.

pt22_38.jpg

On one side of the rudder, there's a tiny Stars & Stripes flag. I found a small one in the spares pile and while it was too big, I was able to trim it down to the right size. While there aren't enough stripes now, it is so small that it's the impression that matters, not complete accuracy.

pt22_39.jpg

The fuselage registrations applied. I had a bit of a problem with the edges curling up, but after lots of Microsol and gentle pressing with a small brush, they un-curled and lay flat.

pt22_40.jpg

I had some spare black decals which were cut to form the wing walkways. I still need to cut a very thin strip which goes along the wing joint, just outboard of the wing strut.

pt22_41.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
spelling

Tonight I cut some black decal paper for the wing joints and also some small pieces for the elevator trim tabs. I only wanted the decal for a straight edge and would touch in the back of the tab with black paint.

pt22_42.jpg

I used a mini sanding drum to thin down the resin block that was the feed for the cylinder castings. Each cylinder was separated and the base sanded with a needle file. I didn't want to use cyano to attach them in case I got them in slightly the wrong position, so instead I used PVA glue to attach them to the nose. The resin prop was cut free and the blades reshaped as the chord ws too broad. The wheels were also painted yesterday and are shown along with the prop.

pt22_43.jpg

The pitot head was made from some 0.7mm copper wire, turned in my minidrill to shape the end. Handling the model with the rigging on was starting to get tricky.

pt22_50.jpg

The wheel hubs and prop spinner were painted next, with a white undercoat for the spinner first. The blades would be painted later.

pt22_51.jpg

The vac formed windscreens took some trimming due to their small size and my fat fingers! They were attached with dilute PVA glue which is still drying in this shot.

pt22_54.jpg

Once the prop blades were painted wood and had dried, the tip and leading edge reinforcing was painted on, then the prop was glued in place.

pt22_55.jpg

Once the last details have been done, the model will be ready to fit into its A4 box frame ( which I still need to buy! ). I already have the background graphics printed, so the final framing shouldn't take long. 

I'm still amazed at my brush painting of the black scallops around the nose. I don't think I've ever painted such smooth lines freehand and amazingly identical on the other side!

pt22_58.jpg

pt22_59.jpg

The last jobs on the model were touching in the windscreen frames and the black patches on the bracing wire attachments. Lots of slow breathing and waiting for my hand to be still to touch in the black on the wings. I really didn't want to mess up the yellow!

With that done, I brought my DSLR and tripod into the workshop for some pictures with a high f number to give a better depth of field than the compact camera I recorded the build with. Before taking those, I threaded a long length of M3 studding into the mounting hole in the bottom of the model and clamped the other end in a small portable vice. The aircraft was then taken outdoors where I had a nice blue sky fo some flying pictures. The ground pictures followed on a 15 inch square base with a printed background that I normally use for "studio shots".

pt22_60.jpg

A little photo editing added me to the cockpit and some rotation to the prop, in addition to editing out the M3 studding which supported the model.

pt22_61.jpg

Amongst other jobs today, I got the background picture glued down and the hole drilled to mount the model. The picture and backboard were then nailed to the 3D box frame. The tabs around the box hold the box onto the picture frame via small screws.

pt22_70.jpg

I ran out of time and had to get my daughter from school, so didn't have time to pilot drill the frame and screw it all together, but there was just enough time to place the frame and mount card over the box for a picture. The glass was left out to avoid reflections for the picture. I should be able to get the glass cleaned and the final assembly done in the morning.

pt22_71.jpg