1:35 - Sikorsky HH-60G Pave Hawk & MH-60L Black Hawk by Kitty Hawk - 3D renders+box art

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great interior anyway. Just the seats themselves looks too far from the back frame, and I think this frame should be placed also a bit further back. Anyway, it's a small detail easy to correct, and the whole looks excellent

• 2 weeks later...

Kitty Hawk just announced over on FB that the 1st release of the  new MH-60L will be to distributors in April. No word on the price though.

I'm pumped!!!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
14 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Kitty Hawk just announced over on FB that the 1st release of the  new MH-60L will be to distributors in April. No word on the price though.

I'm pumped!!!

Tim

Saw that too.  Hopefully it will be early April and both the MH-60L and HH-60G kits.  Hope the Navy Hawks follow closely behind too.

• 1 year later...

Do not buy the Kitty Hawk HH60 unless you are a master scratch builder! instructions were all effed up and hull pieces dont line up at all. My daughters bought this for me as a gift, my first KH but it will be my last. Back to Tamiya exclusively...if they dont make something then I dont build it. My skill level?, between "advanced amateur" and mid- level. I joined this forum just to warn you. (but its a cool forum so ill stay)

Edited by Steve G
53 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Do not buy the Kitty Hawk HH60 unless you are a master scratch builder! instructions were all effed up and hull pieces dont line up at all. My daughters bout this for me as a gift, my first KH but it will be my last. Back to Tamiya exclusively...if they dont make something then I dont build it. My skill level?, between "advanced amateur" and mid- level. I joined this forum just to warn you. (but its a cool forum so ill stay)

Steve, contact Sophia Lynm at Kitty Hawk. She will get you the replacement fuselage halves.

As far as the instructions, yeah there are some mistakes, but you can ask us and we can  help you get through them. The new H-60 kits are the only good representation of the real helicopters. The Academy kits are crap and are not even shaped correctly. Numerous builders here including myself have either already built the kits or are building them right now. Give them another chance!!!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

I agree with what Tim says above. 

I have built the MH-60L as MH-60A Super 65 from Op Gothic Serpent (Black Hawk Down) https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=287040&page=1 

And the HH-60G as one from the Alaska Air Guard with Werner's Wings skis on it. https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=15165

The kits are great and full of details.  I highly recommend them.  They are light years ahead of Academy's H-60s. 

The only issue with them is that the internal cabin/cockpit parts are a little too wide to fit inside the fuselage w/o seams at the top and bottom.  It isn't big, but is there.  Some have cut/sanded down the sides of the floor and roof to make them fit better.  I tried leaving the side bulkheads loose and securing them to the fuselage sides like on the Academy kits.  It works and reduces the gaps, but they still required filling.  I will cut/sand down the floor and ceiling sides a bit on the next one and see how that works.

Check out my builds for some tips on them as well.

Back to Tamiya exclusively...if they dont make something then I dont build it.

I wouldn't limit myself to Tamiya if I were you.  They may fall together, but are usually lacking in detail and are not the most accurate at all.  They have a limited inventory too.  There are lots of other great kits out there that you would be missing out on.

Edited by HeavyArty
On 11/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Steve G said:

Do not buy the Kitty Hawk HH60 unless you are a master scratch builder! instructions were all effed up and hull pieces dont line up at all. My daughters bout this for me as a gift, my first KH but it will be my last. Back to Tamiya exclusively...if they dont make something then I dont build it. My skill level?, between "advanced amateur" and mid- level. I joined this forum just to warn you. (but its a cool forum so ill stay)

If you look at new kits from these various Chinese companies, Tamiya starts to look so dated. Their details are basic and although their molding, packaging is top class, it still feels Tamiya is stuck in 90s. 

27 minutes ago, stalal said:

If you look at new kits from these various Chinese companies, Tamiya starts to look so dated. Their details are basic and although their molding, packaging is top class, it still feels Tamiya is stuck in 90s. 

Lol...   Have you built any of Tamiya’s latest 32nd scale kits?   Trumpeter, KH, Kinetic, Hobbyboss, etc aren’t even close.   Tamiya’s detailing and ease of assembly is first rate, quality is extremely high and you don’t see amateur mistakes like warped fuselages, inaccurate shapes, mistakes on instructions, etc.   

Edited by 11bee

Just because you replied, I will not throw out the baby with the bathwater. I will give KH another chance. I may reach out to KH indeed, however I was able to get the fuselage halves together with a little putty. My big issue was building the engine compartment! The directions were way off and once they were glued together (too early in the process) I had to gut them, put the lids on and move on. I was greatly disappointed. Now im in salvage mode just to make it look decent. A shame because i went all out on the interior and the cockpit.

9 hours ago, 11bee said:

Lol...   Have you built any of Tamiya’s latest 32nd scale kits?   Trumpeter, KH, Kinetic, Hobbyboss, etc aren’t even close.   Tamiya’s detailing and ease of assembly is first rate, quality is extremely high and you don’t see amateur mistakes like warped fuselages, inaccurate shapes, mistakes on instructions, etc.   

Yes. Absolutely. Their 32nd scale kits are superb. My post was about their 48th scale planes and 35th scale armor. 

1 hour ago, stalal said:

Yes. Absolutely. Their 32nd scale kits are superb. My post was about their 48th scale planes and 35th scale armor. 

Ahh. That’s a bit different.  I think their P-38 was well received (I haven’t built it).  I do agree on their armor offerings getting a bit dated.  They aren’t bad, just not quite up to the level of Miniart and some of the others.  

11 hours ago, 11bee said:

Ahh. That’s a bit different.  I think their P-38 was well received (I haven’t built it).  I do agree on their armor offerings getting a bit dated.  They aren’t bad, just not quite up to the level of Miniart and some of the others.  

Dont wont to derail the thread but just one more point on Tamiya. I have not built a better engineered kit than Tamiya 32nd scale Zero. Their innovate ideas in the kit are better than their Spitfire I have built too. 

Having said this, just look at Bronco kits in 35th scale armor and their attention to detail. The quality of fit is amazing. The  molding is sharp and detailed step by step instructions are very comprehensive. This I think is the future of our modeling world.