CD48134 - 1/48 F-94A/B Starfire

Sweet!  I have probably three of these things laying around waiting for some cool markings.

Would love to see a F-94 just like the one in this pic. 178th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 119th Fighter Group, North Dakota Air National Guard.  Notice the anti icing boots on wings and horizontal stabs.  Trying to find close-ups of the nose and badge.    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F-94_North_Dakota_ANG_in_flight_1950s.jpg

F-94_North_Dakota_ANG_in_flight_1950s.jpg

Edited by Drifterdon
49 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

Gotta do the 59th FIS (and in 1/72 scale - the Heller kit decals are tragic):

6331134447_ba92fcc0c8_z_zpsuvbedftd.jpg

Paul,

Hobbycraft did a 1/48 release with these markings and they were equally horrific.   Experts Choice still has a pair of decals available but they are very basic and without any data or details.  

Agree, gotta have this one too.  And check out the silver outline around the USAF and insignia on wing and fuselage.  Heck, even looks like data has silver behind it.

Don

Here's my 1/72 Sword F-94B with the yellow decals from the old Heller kit. The national insignia and lettering are from aftermarket sheets. I put the USAF lettering onto silver trim film decal sheet, then carefully cut each letter out with a silver border around it, then applied that to the model. Lots of fun!

F-94Bweb_zpshe4blenb.jpg

11 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Here's my 1/72 Sword F-94B with the yellow decals from the old Heller kit. The national insignia and lettering are from aftermarket sheets. I put the USAF lettering onto silver trim film decal sheet, then carefully cut each letter out with a silver border around it, then applied that to the model. Lots of fun!

F-94Bweb_zpshe4blenb.jpg

Great build Paul.   As always, stellar work.

Thanks, Drifterdon! "Stellar" - I like that considering the subject! Here's the entire family (all 1/72, of course). Airfix P-80A Shooting Star, Sword F-80C Shooting Star, Platz T-33A Shooting Star, Sword F-94B Starfire, and Emhar F-94C Starfire.

Starfamilyweb1_zpsno0joa1g.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW!  That's Logan Airport in Boston. It wasn't called "International" then, although I remember BOAC and Air France (piston engined) airliners there.  As you drove in, you could see the hanger and ramp for the fighters, sharing the runways with civil traffic.  Simpler times. Love the gull on 15500's tip tank.

Edited by Air Pirate
spelling

That is a very nice photo of the 101st FIS, 102nd FIG MASS ANG ramp at Logan.  What is interesting to note is the variation of the markings: e.g. F-94A 15500 with a shark mouth.  While it looks like the tip tank seagull markings are uniform, only birds #3 & 4 have the seagull badge on the nose. Also of interest are the three TB-25K radar trainers, C-47 & T-6 squadron hacks parked in the background.  The C-119 must be visiting, as the MASS ANG never flew those. 

The 133rd FIS, 157th FG, NH ANG flew both the F-94A & B for a few years in the mid 1950s, before converting to F-86Ls.  I know I have a couple of b&w photos back at home and will see if I can upload them here.  NH also flew the T-33 as a companion trainer.  I have a photo of a T-33 port side with a large "Wildcat" badge on the nose.  I will check the other F-94 photos when I get home.

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
8 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

That's actually a project Gunval F-94B with a Vulcan canon in the nose.    Linky here.  

Well, isn't that interesting.  Note the differences in the schemes on 15500 . . . . The ramps scene shows it with tip tanks, fuselage lightning stripe, shark mouth and aft MASS ANG markings.  The book photos shows the plane a little differently.  Thanks for clarifying!!

• 5 months later...

Not sure if North Dakota ANG F-94A's have been done in decal form before; but this will be one of the options on the F-94A/B sheet finally coming in April:

ndak_profile.jpg 

A technical note here: Note that the serial number on some of the ANG aircraft during this period is not painted using the typical USAF block letter standard with 45-degree corners - it is a rather different style with rounded corners, that I don't recall seeing documented anywhere. I notice that it was used on the F-94, F-51H and a bunch of other ANG types in the early 1950s - but curiously, never on front-line USAF aircraft. I designed a full set of digits for it while designing the F-51H sheet, and it should come handy for designing the many accurate ANG sheets in the pipeline.   

Edited by KursadA