AH-64D in 1:72 by Academy

I think the Apache was the first attack helicopter that I´ve ever heard of (even though I´m born and raised in Germany). Somewhen during the 80ies my uncle (who has been my modelling "role-model") mentionend that Revell will issue this new US Attack helo in 1:32 scale and how he looked forward getting the kit.

dCbZfg2.jpg

Actually that specific 1:32 kit still waits to get started by my uncle, who shifted his interest to RC-models during time.

zYBTbNt.jpg

For me this small episode was shaping enough, so that my first model that I had chosen, bought and finished was the AH-64A in 1/72 by Italeri. This must have been around 1988, I think.

8wKtIPF.jpg

I later built the Revell-issue of the Apache as well as the "D"-version by Italeri, but for some reason I haven´t bothered with the mainstay of US Army Aviation for decades...

8lOaWi7.jpg

This changed about 4 weeks ago. One of my work-collegues in the neighbouring department has some helicopter-themes in his working portfolio. Because of that he has been a grateful recipient for some of my finished helos, so far a Mi-24, a Tiger UHT and a RAH-66 Comanche. "You don´t happen to have an Apache?", he asked me four weeks ago. And, since I recently learned that the Academy-kit of the AH-64D received very good critics, I ordered one.

o2RzEVO.jpg

The build itself was very pleasant and real fun! I just added some pilots and built it completely OOB.

A4vE6Kp.jpg

Only downside in my eyes is the rotor. If the kit would have a different rotor-mast-solution, it would have been possible to keep the rotor turning but the Longbow-radar stationary. Now the radar is turning with the rotor, which is not pleasing the kid that uses to play with his model-helicopters...

ETnnzUS.jpg

JquCjbl.jpg

I made a small mistake during the build, when I painted the anti-collision-lights in green and red instead of just silver. Well, I´ll surely will do another Apache and then do it right.

uZiH6ur.jpg

I aimed to get a quite stainy look by painting the Apache with Revell Nato-Oliv 46 first and then adding big patches of the slightly darker Revell 42. The clear matt coat reduced some of the effect, but it still looks the way I want it.

Mpy6U7R.jpg

vEheMiB.jpg

My next Apache will be the "late version" which contains marking for a 1st Cavalry Bird (yellow horse patch!) which is an absolutely must for me!

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.
49 minutes ago, Hajo L. said:

My next Apache will be the "late version" which contains marking for a 1st Cavalry Bird (yellow horse patch!) which is an absolutely must for me!

Looks good!

Did you know that the 1st CAV ist currently on TDY in Germany?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you!

My usual technique is to simply put a small drop of paint on an even surface and then stick the whole launcher with the rocket heads first into that "puddle". This way only the tips are getting paint.

If I remember correctly with the rockets here I used a thin brush and - similar to dry-brushing - painted the tips with that.

HAJO

Oh wow, so someone *finally* came out with an accurate 1/72 AH-64D while I was away from my modelling desk? That wasn't a decade too soon. :) I may definitely have to get one...

The helicopter looks awesome, how easy was the main rotor assembly? (I still have nightmares about the Italeri H-60 family in 1/72... which are not helped by having four of them in my stash...)

What rotor assembly?....The new Academy Apache has a one piece rotor (hub and blades as one) smack in the middle of one of the sprues. The kit (I have "early", "late" and "British" releases) is a work of art compared to prior releases. With all the optional parts and sprues it is clear that someone did a great deal of research before they put out the kit.