Sparrow & Sidewinder underwing F/A-18 Hornet

HI,

I'm looking pylons for my F/A-18 Hornet A/C with the Kinetic kit.

For AIM-7M Sparrow:

aim7_001.jpg

I find reference on Reid Air & Daco books with LAU-115 launcher.

For AIM-9L/M Sidewinder, it used the same LAU-115 launcher with 2 LAU-127 rails.

tumblr_nhv84xvhdt1txx6x7o2_1280.jpg?w=62

Here with AIM-120 and AIM-9 on Canadian Hornet.

Does LAU-115 launcher exist in 1/48 ?

Thanks for your help

SPang

Attach Squadron Models makes the LAU-115/LAU-127 combo (called "the Monster" out in the fleet). There is a seller on EBay called "rebelalpha" who has them for sale. I've bought loads of stuff from that seller and he's great, very well trusted.

For the legacy Hornet, the Monster was configured with LAU-7's up to around 2005, after that LAU-127's were use. For the Super Hornet, it has always been LAU-127's, so depending on the platform and time frame you are doing will determine what launchers you would use.

If you are going to do a "Monster" during the Desert Storm era you are going to want to use LAU-7's and the LAU-115C/A picture below in Finn's post. The earlier LAU-115A/A's (did not have the strongback like the one pictured below) were out of service by D/S. Also, you can only do a LAU-115 with AIM-9M Sidewinders on the outboard stations, if you are just hanging AIM-7's, outboard only on the F-18A/B, outboard and inboard on F-18C/D/A+/A++/C+.

hth

8 hours ago, Finn said:

Also the LAU-115 changed over the years:

US_Navy_051108-N-6652A-162_An_Aviation_O

Jari

8 hours ago, GW8345 said:

If you are going to do a "Monster" during the Desert Storm era you are going to want to use LAU-7's and the LAU-115C/A picture below in Finn's post. The earlier LAU-115A/A's (did not have the strongback like the one pictured below) were out of service by D/S. Also, you can only do a LAU-115 with AIM-9M Sidewinders on the outboard stations, if you are just hanging AIM-7's, outboard only on the F-18A/B, outboard and inboard on F-18C/D/A+/A++/C+.

hth

Actually, we (MAG-11 Marines) had 115A/A at Sheik Isa during ODS. I have photos of Hornets from VMFA-314 and VMFA-235 with them and AIM-7 loaded.

6 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Actually, we (MAG-11 Marines) had 115A/A at Sheik Isa during ODS. I have photos of Hornets from VMFA-314 and VMFA-235 with them and AIM-7 loaded.

My mistake, I thought they had all been converted over to C/A's. It might be that they removed the A/As from the carriers since they couldn't take the arrested landing very well.

On 6. November 2017 at 9:35 PM, spang said:

HI,

For AIM-9L/M Sidewinder, it used the same LAU-115 launcher with 2 LAU-127 rails.

tumblr_nhv84xvhdt1txx6x7o2_1280.jpg?w=62

Here with AIM-120 and AIM-9 on Canadian Hornet.

Is this the current QRA load out in Canada? Would the wingtips be empty?

Thanks

Scout

6 minutes ago, SCOUT712 said:

Is this the current QRA load out in Canada? Would the wingtips be empty?

Thanks

Scout

Canadian CF-188 Hornet flies over Lithuania on November 20, 2014 for NATO Baltic Air Policing 

B3HzP6HIEAAU3IC.jpg

SPang

Here is another one with two AIM-120:

cf188f16fapwg201404370015.jpg

a training load with LGB practice round, empty LAU-115 and you can make out flares (just below the seeker head of the targeting pod) on the left side and chaff (blue) on the right:

ck01-2016-0510-215-cropped.jpg

Jari