Reshaping Boeing Noses

Yeah, the Airfix 727 nose is off (too pointy) and if I remember correctly the cockpit glass isn't that stellar either which helps contribute to the overall incorrect look. I know it doesn't help you, but I opted for the Revell 727 as it is generally considered to be more accurate. Compare the Airfix and Revell noses and its quite noticeable. Those who have fixed the Airfix nose have generally hacked it up and replaced it with a nose from the Revell kit or a combination of Revell and Minicraft (and/or Daco):

http://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=74

I think there is/was a resin nose correction made ("Authentic Airliners" I think made it?) but  I have no idea if its still available. Bottom line, it will require some surgery.

Personally, since you're just getting back into modeling again, I'd keep it simple and just go with the Airfix kit as is and then grab a Revell 727 to build OOB later:

974548-15610-77-pristine.jpg

But it's obviously your choice.

Regards,

Don.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can spot a weird nose, you are there!

Trust your eyesight and a couple of good photos. File or sand the excess. Use filler to build up shortfalls. Scale modelling is making miniature sculptures, so act like a sculptor!

Problems will include making the left side match the right and overdoing it (go easy at first). Learning will take time, swearing and spoilt kits. But you’ll probably enjoy it, and that’s what matters!

---

The 707 replacement nose is too deep for a 727.

Edited by skippiebg2

Here is a graphic showing where the Airfix 727 nose departs from true. Basically, it is skewed upwards. The glazing aperture is in the right place, though.

The biggest difference you can make to it would involve sanding off some of the top of the nosecone. You can leave it at that...

If you want, however, you can also remove an infinitesimal amount of material off the canopy area with a couple strokes of a sanding stick. (Get some for ladies' fingernail shaping from a drugstore.) This would have an amazing visual impact completely out of proportion to the 20 second effort -- I guarantee that! You'd be looking at a Boeing then, and not just some anonymous jet.

Adding material is much more challenging than removing it, probably because it is always messier. I'd leave it for a future time...

Still, if you want... You can apply several layers (definitely not one lump, but several thin layers, each allowed to dry in an unhurried manner, and each given a key to adhere to the previous one!) of polystyrene modelling filler to the underside of the nosecone. (Alternatively, you can glue a layer of plastic card there, or use two-part epoxy fillers, but let's not get too technical...) Basically, the underside of the rear part of the nosecone and the underside of the flightdeck need to come down by half a millimetre or so, and the straight horizontal part of the fuselage underside has to start a tad nearer (1/2 in.-odd) to the front -- at the forward end of the nose gear well, not behind it. You then need to fair all the filler in by additional thin applications of filler and careful sanding. Once everything is dry, you need to give this area more primer (and to sand it judiciously) to make sure it will blend in with the rest and not betray signs of distress.

Er-r-... that's it! (Don't be angry with yourself or others if filler chips off, you botch it some other way, or you overdo things on your first attempt. Happens even to experienced modellers...)

No need to order replacement noses from the Antipodes, no need to chop the native nose off and cannibalise another one from another kit... Just plain enjoyment!

Airfix 727 nose issues.jpg

Edited by skippiebg2