HB...Tomcat, issues summary?

Hello all

Got a cheap HB Tomcat the other day...I know it's not perfect! Is there a summary threat somewhere pointing out all the issues? I know of the intakes...but what else should/could be done.

Might convert her to an early-A, measured out Darren's boat tail and it looks like it could be fitting. I concider that build as "experimental"... ;-)

cheers

uwe

Edited by anj4de

I've got both the A and the B. Other than the intakes, the rivet detail is a bit extreme. While there are rivets in some of those places, they are flush and you don't see them on the real thing. On the B/D, the NACA vents just behind the gun muzzle are too close together. If you weren't a Tomcat nut, you probably wouldn't notice. It bugs me, though, as it just looks odd. Detail is very nice throughout. I haven't build mine yet, so I can't comment on fit. If you got it cheap, you're ahead of the game. My personal ranking is second behind Tamiya. Some will argue that the Hasegawa kit is better, but it depends on what you're looking for. I want ease of build, so I put the HB kit second. Let me know if  the boat tail fits. 

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned, but I have seen on all HB A,B,D is the following: The main landing gear struts are too long. This causes the back of the Tomcat to be a little too raised. The real thing, to my eyes, sits lower in the back. 

Here are links to two fantastic builds. I am linking them to illustrate the point. In both cases the build and craftsmanship are excellent.

(1) http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/296350-148-hobbyboss-f-14b-tomcat-jolly-rogers-last-cruise/

(2) http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/300982-148-f-14b-vf-143-ag102/

I have not measured it or anything, but to my eye the real Tomcat sits lower in the back ever so slightly.

Thanks for the hints...

The Phoenix pallets are part of the spare sprue from Tamiya that I ordered...and weapons I have also left from Tamiya and some other kits...

I will cross check the landing gear with the Tamiya ones and the plans. I am rather looking fwd to start the surgery on the intakes...once the Tamiya parts for comparison are here.

The two builds posted earlier are absolutely stunning. I will have to check in my decals stash...I have a feeling I might have VF-103 last cruise as well in which case I would stick to the -B and later have a VF-84 Tomcat 1st cruise and a VF-103 last criuse next to each other! "Fear the Bones" :-)

cheers

Uwe

...back from the basement...that was quick! Found the decals...a huge sheet from VF Decals...

I also found two Zotz VF-103 last cruise sheets in 1/32! If anybody is interested in one...trading only! ;-)

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

Found what I think is another issue with the HB kit...and hence potentially also with the big Trumpeter version. The fuselage belly between the engines is curved torwards the intakes...front! I tried to hold on the fwd Phoenix pallets and they sick away and have to be forced down which makes then curved as well. I cross checked the Tamiya bird, there the belly is flat. Same on the Monogram bird! I do not think it's only my kit that has that since the fit otherwise is great! Fixing this blows everything out of proportion, it can be done...yes---but it would be major fuselage surgery. Compared to this, fixing the ZM Phantom fuselage would be a piece of cake even though I do not know yet how to takle this one...

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

I think I got the intakes sorted...

It was as I thought, the outside of the intake parts is too high. Also the flexible ramps in the intake have a slightly wrong angle. All this summs up into the known issues. After getting the spare Tamiya intakes I was able to correct the HB ones and with patience , force and the help of CA glue I was able to correct the mis allignment of the intakes. Took a couple of pics...

All in all I would not do that again...the Tamiya bird is soo much better. I would only recommend this to someone who bought the HB kit at full price when it came out since selling would create a big loss...for all the folks unsure yet, get Tamiya!!!

20171113_125335_zpsjcmp8wcz.jpg

HB%20Belly_zpsnotmyjd1.jpg

front%20view_zpsdzuztmkq.jpg

20171113_141331_zpsasimbc5x.jpg

Intake%20left%20side_zpsswlkp8l5.jpg

Intake%20right%20side_zpsgowyln8y.jpg

front%20view_zpstcl8ndj8.jpg