As my compressor slowly weeps (need advice)

So recently I have noticed that my compressor (brand X bought at the hobby store when my last one died) is no longer shutting off when I am not spraying which would seem to suggest that it is either not meeting the upper PSI to shut down or the shut off is wonky. In addition to this issue the compressor which once ran quiet runs loud and clangy for maybe 5 minutes after switching it on and in this state produces no air pressure whatsoever. After the initial clangy run it reverts to a quieter running and starts producing air pressure. In addition to these two problems I have had moisture in the line and inconsistent airflow and an inability to regulate pressure below 20 psi or so. 

Fair to say I am not a happy camper.....especially as I found a comparable model on Amazon for around $60 while I had the bright orange SALE sticker on my unit starting at me with it's $159 price.......

Compressor is three years old and I think it is time to replace it......

I do not currently have a budget for a nice grex or iwata compressor in the $300-$400 range so I was hoping to get some recommendations on compressors at a good price point. 

Also would you recommend a tankless compressor or one with a tank? I have only ever used the former. My first compressor I used from when I was a teenager to pretty recently (With a big modeling hiatus in there). It was bought from MicroMark and had no regulator. It ran around 25 psi and this made detail work challenging. My second compressor is the current Sir Clangsalot and it is regulated and that was certainly a step up but both are tankless. Is there a benefit in airflow or compressor life for going with a compressor with a tank? 

Thanks in advance

Zach

I picked up a compressor at Lowes for about $80.  It's reasonably quiet and puts our plenty of air pressure.  One thing I've notice is that the air tank will hold a charge for more than two weeks.  Nice for those time when I need to do a 15 second touch up.  The last Lowes compressor lasted over ten years so this one should be around for awhile.

HTH, Dave

I'm in a similar situation with my small tankless compressor not working right making me consider another.  

There was another thread about compressors recently that I read and did research on the various recommendations.  Having a tank was considered almost a must-have...A California Air Tools Model (2010a I think) was highly recommended by many.   Looks good to me though I haven’t made the commitment yet.  

FWIW, I don't consider a tank a must-have. My Iwata compressor is so quiet that I can have a normal conversation with my wife across the garage while I'm spraying. I also don't see an impact to paint flow while I'm spraying Mr Color, which is a lacquer, and I would expect to show such issues with its very thin coating.

Having written that, my Iwata compressor was not cheap. But it is soooo much better than the tool compressor I was using--and it has a tank.

I don't know how well this works for a lot of people, but I got a CO2 tank with a pressure regulator valve, and it works well for me - no noise, constant pressure.  It does need refilling, and I haven't been building much so that's been OK for me, but it might be an issue for someone who uses it a lot.

I tried a tankless compressor years ago and maybe it was cheap, but it made the paint come out in spurts, which is why I started using a tanked compressor, then on to the CO2 tank when that one needed to be replaced.

I post for you all the air there that's leaking
While my compressor gently weeps
I look at the floor and I see its dripping
Still my compressor gently weeps
I don't know how nobody told you how to unfold your manual
I don't know how someone controlled you
I bought and now I should sell you
I look at the compressor and smells like it's burning  
With every mistake we must surely be learning
I don't know how you were quiet
You were reliant too
I don't know how you were supplying
An now I'm pricing you
I post for you all  the compressor there that's weeping
While my compressor gently weeps
Look at this post you all

I have the California Airtool's 2010A compressor and enjoy it. It is very quiet and has a 2 gallon tank. I got it at Home Depot for just over 200.00. They have a smaller unit that has a 1 gallon tank. That is cheaper, here is a link to it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-1-0-Gal-Light-and-Quiet-Steel-Tank-Electric-Portable-Air-Compressor-1P1060S/300500747

6 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:
I post for you all the air there that's leaking
I look at the floor and I see its dripping
I don't know how nobody told you how to unfold your manual
I don't know how someone controlled you
I bought and now I should sell you
I look at the compressor and smells like it's burning  
With every mistake we must surely be learning