First Airbrush and Compressor

Pulling my hair out trying to figure out the best value airbrush/compressor as I start getting into the hobby. Found a compressor/tank/regulator today made by Paasche for $130 and  PAASCHE A/B for 80.  But then there are starter kits with compressor and 3 airbrushed for like $100.  Anyone have any advice?  Would like to stay within $200 for the whole shebang but want something easy to use/clean and is durable.  Thanks!

As someone who has recently come back to the hobby after a 30 year layoff, the best advice I can give is to go with the best you can afford.  When I first started again, I dusted off an old Paasche H, and while it was ok, it was not until I got my Paasche Talon that I learned how much fun airbrushing can be.  I am currently looking at purchasing an Iwata HP-CS or C-Plus.  I have heard these are even better.  As far as my compressor is concerned, I already had a small Bostitch compressor in my garage for use with my nail guns, so I use that.  It is noisy, so it stays in the garage and I run a hose through the house to my hobby corner, to the dismay of SWMBO.  But this is temporary as I will be building a storage shed/hobby room in my backyard and can put everything out there.  It can be daunting as you do not want to waste money, but most airbrushes will do the trick for you.  Personally, my abilities are the limiting factor, but I hope to rectify that and decided long ago to always buy the best equipment I can afford.  If you have the time and inclination, I can recommend watching Paul Budzik's Youtube videos on airbrushing and going to Don's Airbrush Tips.  They both do a good job in breaking down what you might want and need in an airbrush.  But most of all, have fun with the hobby.  This is what we are supposed to be doing for fun.

When I started to get back into this hobby about 6 years ago I did something similar and went with a "starter airbrush" set up.  Now if you feel like hobby is something you really enjoy and want to get back in to I would say go with something more high quality.  The airbrush I would recommend is the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline 2 in 1 (It's about $180-200, but worth every cent, well made, easy to clean, fix/instal new nozzles) and I personally would recommend a silentaire compressor (The loud noise of most standard compressors drives me nuts, they are pricey but WELL worth it, especially if you have a spouse around).

Dan

If you are in the USA and have a hobby lobby nearby you can print a 40% off coupon for a single item, per day.  They seem to focus on the Iwata brand.    Michaels has a similar deal this weeks coupon is for 50% off a single regularly priced item.  This can be especially effective for general supplies, IF you have either or both near you, 

BUT, before you buy, look at dnl42's link to dons airbrush tips.  There is much to be learned at that site.  As with this hobby(and life), the better educated you become, the better consumer you become.    

The Paasche AB Turbo is the High end Illustrator brush from Paasche. It really is for inks and really thin mediums of which model paints do not fall into that category. I don't think it will perform as designed with the higher hobby paint viscosities. I recently bought one for ironically 80 bucks and the seller said he tested it and it worked but I don't think it does as the needle does not move with the trigger.  I have an airbrush collection and it is a good thing I basically bought it as a display piece.

Also I have Googled for info on the AB and there are some you tube videos on it. It has the reputation of being very finicky and can be hard to 'tune' to work properly, but everything I read says once you can dial it in, it is unbeatable. Also it makes a really cool noise in operation! :-)

Anyway my go to hobby brush has always been a Paasche H. I have the same one my Dad bought me almost 40 years ago. Very well made tool. I also have a double action V and it is very robust as well. I hope to get a Talon someday as well. I think a model hobby starter brush is one of these and not a AB Turbo. 

Max Bryant

Edited by mightymax
spelling

Most of what is available today are decent airbrushes. The biggest hurdle is just mastering the art of airbrushing as the results can be spectacular or disappointing. You will need to get used to the different paints available and their consistencies for good atomization and a smooth finish.

26 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

The biggest hurdle is just mastering the art of airbrushing as the results can be spectacular or disappointing. You will need to get used to the different paints available and their consistencies for good atomization and a smooth finish.

This is quite true. Once you get your airbrush, make sure you spend time learning to use it. Paint formulation, paint consistency, airbrush pressure, spraying distance, and climate all need to be correct. I live in a relatively dry climate, so humidity isn't an issue. I can also spray in my garage attached workshop with that big door open, so I have good ventilation.

I spray at about 1 atm, ~15 PSI. I thin paints to the consistency of 1% milk.

This is really a tough question.   Based on my experience and long odyssey through the hobby I have very strong opinions on what airbrushes I like.  However, what works for me, may not work for others. And what works for others often does not work for me.   A lot of it depends what you are building.  What scale and subject matter do you like to build the most?  If you are building cars , a paasche H might suit your needs perfectly.  If you build 1/700 scale ships, a fine detail airbrush may fit your needs best.

A compressor and airbrush are a big investment to start up with. At the same time, if you go too cheap, you may find you want to upgrade both pretty quickly.  I agree you should check out Don's airbush tips, and I would suggest Paul Budzik's videos on you tube.  He does a really good job explaining the different kinds of airbrushes, and the best use for each one. 

3 hours ago, 320 Driver said:

Great info. Thanks to all of you. I'm thinking of starting with this compressor/regulator from amazon; do you guys see an issue with this that I'm missing?

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-D3000R-Compressor-Regulator-Moisture/dp/B001CJPWYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1511140605&sr=1-1&keywords=paasche+compressor

That compressor should be suitable, it has a regulator and a tank. My only suggestion would be to look for videos on youtube to see how loud it is, and whether the noise it makes is acceptable for your living situation. 

I'll 2nd Kurt's suggestion about looking for reviews and a video on the compressor and tank especially for the noise issues if you are using it inside your home. 

As far as a air brush goes, you want an internal, not an external air brush. I've had both, and the external; a Paasche H is great for wide area applications but not detail for close up work. I strongly recommend both Don's site and Paul's videos. Paul really goes into the nuts and bolts of the differences that will be a big help. Even if you have to save for a while longer to get the right AB, it's well worth it in the long run.

Joel