Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
wisco8

1/48 Italeri F7F-3 Tigercat

Recommended Posts

26590698269_f4710bdd65_b.jpgDSC02121 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

26590697569_473fbcdd81_b.jpgDSC02122 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

37652228224_3b4d839783_b.jpgDSC02123 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

26590696409_670fb4e0a5_b.jpgDSC02124 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

37652224204_6cf4e309ea_b.jpgDSC02125 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

37652223544_6cfa3427fb_b.jpgDSC02126 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

37652222364_446024a38e_b.jpgDSC02127 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

37652220964_48f472b740_b.jpgDSC02128 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

37652221474_e5fc2a060a_b.jpgDSC02129 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

38366162271_0b523dee74_b.jpgDSC02130 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

38366166301_dabcfef608_b.jpgDSC02132 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

37652216724_10a03b8d5a_b.jpgDSC02133 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

26590691779_3618e9e091_b.jpgDSC02134 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

37652214454_07eab10101_b.jpgDSC02135 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

38366164961_5c947e8d29_b.jpgDSC02136 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

38366164721_27dc028188_b.jpgDSC02138 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

38366164251_c0bfd3a1c3_b.jpgDSC02139 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

38366163421_d892f5a55c_b.jpgDSC02142 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an outstanding effort on that reissue. Most impressive for sure.

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Just an outstanding effort on that reissue. Most impressive for sure.

Joel

Thank you Joel, I had fun building it, but I really had fun using the oils to blend the panels and add the exhaust. If you notice, on this kit the props are backwards. Here is a link for a good replacement set.  http://obscureco.com/product_pages/OBS48003/OBS48003.html

                                   Best regards, Steve :O)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

She looks great. Really nice workmanship!

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Thank you, I will be putting in an order for replacement props. I can make the band for the prop hubs and I have plenty of prop decals. The person I built it for wanted me to not use any nose weights because the stress would have eventually warped the landing gear. I pinned the box and the 55 gallon drum and attach them to the rear section of the rudder so its not a tail dragger.  There is metal landing gear available as an aftermarket set. I want to do the fire bomber version so all the goodies will be on that one.

                                  Thank you again for the kind compliment, best regards, Steve :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve,

   The correct amount of nose wt really won't add any stress to the front landing gear strut as it's just counter balancing rear end excess weight. It's nothing more then what a see saw is that balances dead neutral.  Now excess nose wt is a completely different issue to deal with.  That being said, your solution is both ingenious and looks darn good too.

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Steve,

   The correct amount of nose wt really won't add any stress to the front landing gear strut as it's just counter balancing rear end excess weight. It's nothing more then what a see saw is that balances dead neutral.  Now excess nose wt is a completely different issue to deal with.  That being said, your solution is both ingenious and looks darn good too.

Joel

Thank you Joel :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice job on that cool cat wisco8😎👍:salute:

Cheers,

Mr.Happy(In name only)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

Very nice job on that cool cat wisco8😎👍:salute:

Cheers,

Mr.Happy(In name only)

Thank you Mr Happy. I really enjoyed building this kit even though the props are backwards, I will get a replacement set.

Best regards, Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Steve,

 

I'm just thinking aloud here.
Since you have already decided to do something about the props, would reversing the existing ones work?
U can cut off the individual blades and reassemble them twisted 180 degrees.
or just cut off the center dome part (just about where the red lines are) flip the entire disc 180 and reattach the dome.

In both cases, some drilling and pinning may have to be done for strength.
Would that look right? Or is the chord wrong too?
Apologies if I missed something. 

 

Best Regards
CO
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a stunning build! The paint fade and weathering looks awesome. Great job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bravo! Most outstanding effort!

 

Adding to what Joel said, nose weight sufficient to keep it from sitting on its tail puts a load on the main landing gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

She looks great. Really nice workmanship!

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I was actually thinking of cutting the hub off and applying it on the back side, but has already been shipped to Florida. That would have been exactly what I would have done.

            Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MA Cooke said:

What a stunning build! The paint fade and weathering looks awesome. Great job!

Thank you, I had fun building her up. Hope to do the fire bomber next.

Best regards, Steve :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Bravo! Most outstanding effort!

 

Adding to what Joel said, nose weight sufficient to keep it from sitting on its tail puts a load on the main landing gear.

Thank you, I would try at least one with weight added, I do have three more kits. If it weren't for the box and drum disguise I would have had to go with the weights.

Best regards, Steve :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Bravo! Most outstanding effort!

 

Adding to what Joel said, nose weight sufficient to keep it from sitting on its tail puts a load on the main landing gear.

True, but the main gear is strong enough to hold the weight.  Just make sure you protect the little tie-down rings on the bottom of the struts; they are NOT strong enough to hold up.  It takes a LOT of weight - pretty much every empty spot in the nose, plus the whole nacelle forward of the main gear bay needs to be filled with lead to (barely) hold the nose down.

It is prototypical to prop up the tail, though, or to just let it rock back on the tail as long as you extend the nose oleo.  There are photos of Tigercats in that pose - empty fuel tanks lets the CG shift so it sits on the tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

True, but the main gear is strong enough to hold the weight.  Just make sure you protect the little tie-down rings on the bottom of the struts; they are NOT strong enough to hold up.  It takes a LOT of weight - pretty much every empty spot in the nose, plus the whole nacelle forward of the main gear bay needs to be filled with lead to (barely) hold the nose down.

It is prototypical to prop up the tail, though, or to just let it rock back on the tail as long as you extend the nose oleo.  There are photos of Tigercats in that pose - empty fuel tanks lets the CG shift so it sits on the tail.

Joe,

   That's something I would never have assumed of the actual aircraft, although it sounds logical. going to try and find some photos online of the real deal with the tail end propped up. 

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic!!!

I have see Bad Kitty at airshows, such a beautiful plane to see fly.

You have done  the F7F justice!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2017 at 12:13 AM, vise101 said:

Fantastic!!!

I have see Bad Kitty at airshows, such a beautiful plane to see fly.

You have done  the F7F justice!!!

Thank you vise101!! :rolleyes: As this being my first Tiger cat with no research, one mistake I did make was the tail fins on the rockets should have been angled to 45 degree angles. I have three more to get it right :doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2017 at 7:24 AM, Rocat said:

Lovely Tiger-cat!

Thank you Rocat :rolleyes:  I had fun with this kit. Not to much flash at all and the parts fit very nicely. I did find out that the Italeri kit comes with the plastic tires instead of the melting ones. :rolleyes:

                            Best regards, Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×