F4H-1 Phantom Prototype Brigade Models

Hello Phantom Phans.

This WIP is for the forthcoming Brigade Models conversion set for Academys F-4B into the prototype F4H-1. I have obtained from Kevin a pre production test shot of the mouldings as seen at SMW this year. This does not include canopies or decals as they are not ready yet.

Availability of the set should be March next year. Kevin has agreed to add a second seat so later small radome aircraft can be built. Any changes for this will be up to the modeller, as the main purpose here is for a first flight aircraft.

Also, there are no instructions (I suspect I may be writing them now).

Onto what you will get. This first picture shows what you get. This first pic shows the parts, except for canopy, decals, and the pitot probe, which I do have.

IMG_2826_zpsxu7hb7vz.jpg

This pic shows where to cut on the wings (for the perforated airbrakes) and the fuselage.

IMG_2827_zps6ug0trzb.jpg

Close up of the wing where the airbrake goes. Note that either the wing can be cut, or alternatively, the resin part could be used as a master to drill your own holes in the wing.

IMG_2829_zpsmscmzopa.jpg

Here is a close up of the fuselage cut point.

IMG_2830_zpsxp6kmwob.jpg

And the cut made.

IMG_2832_zpsomhtyypl.jpg

Another part that needs cutting is the forward under fuselage (part F40)

IMG_2834_zpsfenvlc8i.jpg

The resin intakes and the kit trunking is being joined. Some fettling may be required for a perfect fit.

IMG_2835_zpsntlbbmal.jpg

Airbrakes being sorted.

IMG_2837_zpsftuchg8b.jpg

Airbrakes fitted. Note that the gap is my fault, not the kits (my cutting skills still need work).

IMG_2838_zps1lyyhcls.jpg

First look at the front fuselage. The black parts are kit parts. They mate to the resin perfectly.

IMG_2842_zpsmu3r2gdz.jpg

That is all for this introductory part.

Ted

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Depending on the price I am very interested. Any decal info?

The decals have not been produced yet, but it will only feature the 1st aircraft at the first flight according to Brigade Models.

Price is about £37.99 and available from Hannants UK.

• 2 months later...

Progress on this one has been a bit slow due to other commitments but here as promised is the next instalment in the prototype Phantom (just in time for it's 60th anniversary).

This shows the completed cockpit (minus seat) installed in the fuselage. The Academy parts were used for panels in the front, while I left the rear panel devoid of instrumentation.

IMG_2904_zpswlpiibo9.jpg

IMG_2905_zpsgtb0cf0h.jpg

I've started assembling the fuselage here, with the internal details being added.

IMG_2909_zpshd1wfehl.jpg

IMG_2909_zpshd1wfehl.jpg

Here I am putting thge fuselage upper half on, and attempting to mate the Brigade Models parts to the rest. The cut I made on the fuselage was not accurate, but is easily sorted. In this case it is probably easier to leave a gap to fill later, but I'm sure everone building the kit will have their own ideas.

IMG_2910_zpsyoc3xzdl.jpg

IMG_2911_zpstychb3yn.jpg

The Brigade Models arrestor hook is shown here. Later it was to drop off, and still needs refitting.

IMG_2914_zpstkj2jlge.jpg

Here is the Mcdonnell seat shown with a Martin Baker Mk 7 seat for comparison. The kit will include 2 seats for those wishing to do the prototype later in life, or a later airframe, though extra work will be needed for that option.

IMG_2916_zpsbrh7bxte.jpg

This shot shows the seat installed, but I then took it out again to avoid damaging it.

IMG_2917_zpshjlzzm5w.jpg

Here I have removed the lower pitot tube as it was not fitted until later in the program.

IMG_2981_zps19mte65p.jpg

Here I have painted the grey and white parts of the fuselage.

IMG_2982_zpso7eqslon.jpg

IMG_2983_zpsjccggf17.jpg

One thing missing from the conversion is an additional fairing behind the arrestor hook. First is the standard look to the area, the rest of the shots show the fairing in whit milliput.

IMG_2984_zpsp0pl2cya.jpg

IMG_2986_zpsjfo4zs31.jpg

IMG_2988_zpsurhwxeqp.jpg

IMG_2989_zpsr6twwmsq.jpg

Next is the undercarriage legs being added. Straightforward enough, exactly as per Academy standard.

IMG_2990_zps4xyozyxc.jpg

IMG_2992_zpsznonkopu.jpg

Thats as far as I have got so far.

Ted

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm a huge fan of the F-4 Phantoms. This is definitely a "Game-changer" as far as the F-4

is concerned. Your process and results are working and looking good so far. I take-it the

scale of the model is 1/72? I'll be needing some information on ordering one of these.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 11:49 PM, The Underdog said:

I'm a huge fan of the F-4 Phantoms. This is definitely a "Game-changer" as far as the F-4

is concerned. Your process and results are working and looking good so far. I take-it the

scale of the model is 1/72? I'll be needing some information on ordering one of these.

The Brigade 1/48 F4H-1 resin set is currently available for backorder from Hannants. (They get a few in every month or so.)  While you are at it, purchase a Master 48079 B-58 brass pitot tube as a substitute for the bent resin pitot in the Briagde box.

Edited by Dutch
5 hours ago, Dutch said:

The Brigade 1/48 F4H-1 resin set is currently available for backorder from Hannants. (They get a few in every month or so.)  While you are at it, purchase a Master 48079 B-58 brass pitot tube as well as a substitute for the bent resin pitot in the Briagde box.

Dutch,

Thanks for the reply and helpful information with the links. It will be very cool in having

this Phantom model as part of the collection!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/28/2020 at 2:35 PM, Ishthe47guy said:

Dave Klauss needs to come out of the hidy-hole he's been in since 2009, lol.  I missed out on getting the Cutting Edge conversion set by a matter of weeks.

This conversion was one of the most expensive resin sets I ever bought and is now very rare and hard to find !

• 3 weeks later...

While it's a 1/72 scale model versus the subject 1/48 scale, this model was built from a Hasegawa F4 kit only -- no aftermarket parts, resin, or vacuform.  All out of the Hasegawa box, plus some home-made decals:

2v2HMseEzxfzdhW.jpg

Exacting, detailed instructions and needed artwork (in 1/72 scale!) can be found  HERE, in the build thread.

I don't know why you couldn't do the same thing in 1/48th!

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
wrong link
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...