Operation: Resurrection. Part 1 - AFX BA 737-200

So I've come across a few models I began as a youngster as I was cleaning out my parents' basement and have decided to take on the challenge of resurrecting them into something I can be proud of. I humbly ask the members here to perhaps help me along the way as I will have many questions about techniques and steps to take.

There's admittedly a lot of work to be done, and I consider myself a brand newb to this hobby.  When I built these models, I basically used masking tape, and either paint brushes or spray cans from Lowes.  I had never heard of airbrushing or seam filling...so you can imagine these are in rough shape.  

The models I will be taking on are as follows:

1) British Airways Airfix 737-200; No windscreen. Awful paint. No landing gear left.  Would like to make into a US Air bare metal scheme.

2) AAL Minicraft MD-80; Fuselage painted poorly with chrome spray paint; would like to strip paint and do Alclad II

3) AAL Mincraft 757; same as above

4) AAL Revell 767; Fuselage joined painted, and decaled poorly. Have another set of AA decals but would like to Alclad 

5) British Airways Revell 767; split fuselage painted/decaled. Would like to convert to UAL 767.

So as I begin, here's some pics of my first challenge. At the very least I hope to use these to hone and learn some new skills. 

This is the 737. My near term goal is to use Testors ELO to remove the paint/decals, then use squadron green putty to fill the seams and windows. Since I don't have a windscreen, I plan on using small styrene strips to make the posts and then maybe Micro Kristal Kleer for the panes.  Anyone have any suggestions or advice about getting it cleaned up to start?

Thanks a bunch!

enhanceenhanceenhanceenhance

It looks like you have some fairly good joint separations between the main assemblies (wings, fuselage, horizontal stabilizers and the one engine). Some time spent with a sanding stick to further clean them up will be necessary but it shouldn't be too arduous. To remove the paint you have a few options, all will require patience and perhaps multiple attempts.

Option #1 is to use fume free Easy Off oven cleaner (but I do find the non-fume free yellow can works better for some reason).

-put the parts in Ziploc bags (fuselage in one, wings in another) and spray the oven cleaner in the bags and seal them. Do this is a well ventilated area like outside if possible, watch your eyes, and try to avoid too much hand/finger contact with the Easy Off.

-let everything sit for 24 hours.

- take the parts out or dump them into a sink with the stopper in place and rinse them off with very warm water (NOT boiling obviously... just hot enough that your hands can stand the temperature). A shower type handle like you see on kitchen sinks works well.

-the paint should wash away but may need some help with an old tooth brush.

-you may need to repeat the process again if some of the paint is being stubborn.

-let the parts air dry and inspect.

-wet sand the parts to smooth everything out and remove any possible chemical residue.

-let air dry.

Begin re-assembly and enjoy!

Option #2 is the same process as Option #1 except you would use "Castrol Super Clean"  to soak the parts in and plastic bins (Tupperware type bins) rather then Ziploc bags.  THIS ^^^ WORKS BETTER WITH ENAMEL PAINTS IMHO.

Option #3 use "Simple Green" from Lowe's and follow the same steps as Option #2 (plastic bins).

Option #4 you may need to try one or two of the above if the paint is being particularly stubborn.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Regards,

Don

Don has some good suggestions for stripping models 320, I usually oven cleaner as I have noticed ELO is very expensive here (@$30 for a bottle).

So are you wasting time with ELO? Probably not, if you already have, it use it. As Don mentions, one application may not be enough.

I may suggest that rather than worrying about using pillars clear cement for the windscreen panels, just fill the opening with card and use a windscreen decal. Most aftermarket decal sheets come with a windsreen decal and some companies are offering photo real windscreens as well. After all, there is no cockpit interior to speak of unless you are going to scratch build something to go in there.

I've had good luck with Super Clean. The enamel paint on my last model I stripped just fell off of the model after a 24 hour soak. You can reuse Super Clean if you pour it through a coffee filter in a funnel. 

If you put a "looking for" ad up on this and the Airlinercafe forums, you might find someone with a spare clear cockpit section from a Minicraft or Daco 737 kit that might be a little easier to install than trying to fill the cockpit opening with plastic card. You can still paint over it and use window decals, if you prefer.

Ben

Ok so I bought Purple Power today for $7 bucks at an auto store. Super clean was 13.   

3 hours into the first soak with several pieces.  The chrome paint on the MD-80 and 757 is pretty much all gone. The British Airways blue is now more of a teal color on the 737.  None of the testors enamel painted surfaces seem to be affected yet.

I used about 3/4 of the gallon to cover the pieces. Is it possible to reuse when done?

Edited by 320 Driver

Ok so I bought Purple Power today for $7 bucks at an auto store. Super clean was 13.   

3 hours into the first soak with several pieces.  The chrome paint on the MD-80 and 757 is pretty much all gone. The British Airways blue is now more of a teal color on the 737.  None of the testors enamel painted surfaces seem to be affected yet.

I used about 3/4 of the gallon to cover the pieces. Is it possible to reuse when done?

So for an update, after soaking all the models in Purple Power, and doing a ton of scrubbing, I finally have what I think are workable bases to start over. 

I did need to use copious amounts of Goof-Off to get rid of stubborn paint and the plastic seems to have come through it unscathed.  Pics later.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to duplicate the flap hinges as they apparently disappeared in the paint stripping process? Also, best way to fill in the cockpit since I don't have a windshield?

For the cockpit windows, you can cut out bits of styrene to the dimensions given in the second post of this forum: LINK    I looked, but unfortunately,  I don't have a spare cockpit section from the Daco or Minicraft kit to send to you. Anyone else here have one they can donate to 320 Driver?

You'll probably have to carve new hinges from styrene, unless they are floating around in the Purple Power somewhere. Try pouring it through a coffee filter and see if they turn up. It shouldn't dissolve plastic.

Cheers!

Ben

Well I used plumber putty, wood glue and pieces of sprue to fill the cockpit, then epoxied it. Filled the remainder with Squadrom green putty.  It's a bit of a mess now and I think I sanded with too much grit but we'll see.  This model is really just to work on some techniques at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's where we are. Stripped paint via use of Purple Power, Testors ELO, and finally Goof Off (which worked the best).  Filled in the cockpit with plumbers putty, pieces of styrene, scrap plastic, super glue, squadron putty and Perfect plastic.  Filled in one side of windows with Squad...other side with PPP.  Lots of sanding/filling the body.

Aircraft is primed with Tamiya Gray.  Next steps are painting gloss block for fuselage then I guess Voodoo gray for the wings nose and fairings.  

enhanceenhanceenhanceenhance

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...