Looking for computer-aided magnifier

Hello,

I recently ran into some really tiny white alphanumeric decals that are unfortunately printed on light blue paper. With a 10X loupe, and a strong light held just so, I can see them, but the working distance is too small to get a blade under it to cut the decals apart (sheet film).

What I am looking for is some kind of camera or whatever, that would let me see the object on screen, yet have enough room to be able to get two tools or fingers in place to hold and trim the decals!. I don't think the regular USB microscopes would be of much use, as the working distance is way too small. I would like to be able to adjust the magnification through software, rather than mechanically changing focus.

Any ideas, or better yet, feedback from someone who has done it!

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

I sense your pain. I've trying to do the stencil work on my F6F Hellcat, and Eduard's white decals on blue paper is nearly impossible to see. I'm using a 5x Optivisor but still really struggling. I'm thinking of getting just the 7x lenses, and manually switching them out as needed.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Joel,

That's probably a good idea. I just picked up a pair of 6x reading glasses on E-Bay, and in conjunction with my 3x (I think)  magnifier desktop light, seems like that lets me see them and has enough working space. Wii know more after the holidays. Meanwhile, still looking...

Ed

On 11/20/2017 at 9:32 PM, TheRealMrEd said:

What I am looking for is some kind of camera or whatever, that would let me see the object on screen, yet have enough room to be able to get two tools or fingers in place to hold and trim the decals!. I don't think the regular USB microscopes would be of much use, as the working distance is way too small. I would like to be able to adjust the magnification through software, rather than mechanically changing focus.

Recently I took a simple and cheap USB camera apart, and to my surprise it had an adjustable focus inside. The lens above the image-sensing chip was threaded, and had quite a focus range. I can make it focus at maybe 10 mm distance, and read the text of tiny decals. For example the ones on the ailerons and flaps of this tiny UAV model. I was amazed, and it's great fun to play with. Maybe it works for your problem.

Rob

rq7-20.jpg

Edited by Rob de Bie