OK, guys, I have been away from ARC for quite a while as life got in the way.  But I'm back with a question that no one has been able to answer.  The issue is the color call-outs for the 1/32 Italeri F-35.  Many will agree that FS 36118 (topside F-16 standard dark gray) just isn't the right color (as per the Italeri instructions).  I read somewhere that RLM 75 was a close match for the main frame, but have not been able to nail down that color sprayed on all the access panels and doors for lower RCS capability.  It's driving me nuts.  I tried contacting Lockheed Martin in TX, but repeated calls to their media people shoots to voicemail, while written inquiries go unanswered.  Any one in this clan know the secret numbers for this panel line paint?  Thanks for your help.  Happy Turkey!

JA

Lately it seems the A model is have glass all over, but the nose is a different color.  Any idea what the nose should be?  I ask based upon the recent photos of the A model on the F-35 news thread in general discussion where the ram panels are very toned down.

Mike

What really fries me is that there are so many variations in colors and shades.  You are saying it's "Have Glass" all over - and I am not challenging or criticizing that by any means - but simply Google images for the F-35 and see how many different variations there are.  Michael Benolkin of Cybermodeler Online has shots from his private stash - up close and personal images that look much different from other video images on You Tube of taxiing planes all over the world.  Some have lighter patches by the intakes, others don't, for example.  But I have already called in an order for the "Have Glass" bottles from that new start-up, MRP, otherwise known as "Mr. Paint," before the Japanese paint maker sat him down for a talk on branding.

That said, I appreciate your input and will blame you if this kit doesn't turn out like I'd like it to - HAH!  Hopefully my client will love it as I will make it look as good as I can by dumping the kit masks and doing the masking the old fashioned way.  Note: those Italeri masks don't fit well, and have way too much glue on them.  Pull them off the wrong way and you'll leave goobers behind that will either have to be sanded off, which will remove the paint, or you'll need Goo-Gone or thinner to remove the glue and the paint at the same time.  Welcome to our world, eh?

JA

The newest F-35's off the line appear to be painted overall the 36170 color save certain areas like the nose and around the intake. The earlier F-35's appear to have several panels and leading edges in a lighter color. As with every model check references of the jet you want to build. Also please note we are early in the lifespan of the F-35 and the color scheme is evolving. Don't get too wrapped around the axle worrying about what exact color goes where. Do your research and press on and enjoy your hobby!