EWR VJ-101C-X2 1/72 VTOL fighter from A&A Models

Always a sucker for the oddball, I recently purchased this latest kit from Ukrainian manufacturer A&A Models...

It is a kit of the German design for a VTOL fighter - the EWR VJ-101 - with four engines in swivelling wing tip nacelles backed up with two more mounted vertically behind the cockpit - making SIX in all.

vj101_001.jpg

Moulded by Modelsvit on behalf of A&A Models the kit represents the second prototype and is neatly moulded in mid-grey plastic with fine engraved detail...

vj101_002.jpg

Fuselage sprues.

vj101_003.jpg

Parts for the swivelling wingtip nacelles - which can be made to work (though not in unison!)

vj101_004.jpg

Wings and things.

vj101_005.jpg

Boarding ladder, ejection seat and two choices of clear canopy - open or closed.

vj101_006.jpg

Canopy masks, etched harness and decal sheet.

vj101_007.jpg

Paint and decal guide for the second prototype - quoting Humbrol numbers.

This looks to be a very nice comprehensive kit, well moulded and packaged with different display options - the inclusion of canopy masks and etched brass now appears to be the norm with these kits from the Ukraine - western manufacturers please take note!

The box sides indicate that A&A will be kitting the first prototype VJ-101C-X1 - plus the VAK-191 VTOL strike aircraft :thumbsup:

I can't wait to get started........

Ken

Ken

Oddball for sure but looks bery interesting and will be following with great intetest. If memory serves me correctly in the pre- Harrier days, there were all sorts of ideas and experimental designs for VTOL aircraft. Nice to see new subjects coming out rather then the same over and over again👍

Peter

Some progress......

Parts for the Martin-Baker GA7 ejection seat - minus the firing handle and two smaller plastic parts.......

vj101_008.jpg

Assembled seat - with etched firing handle....

vj101_009.jpg

Seat and five-part cockpit - complete with rudder pedals but minus the control column.

vj101_010.jpg

Cockpit 'bathtub' and seat - decals are inluded for the side panels....

vj101_011.jpg

It will look good under a coat of paint - honest!

Ken

A little progress - all the 'internals' are assembled and ready to go into the fuselage half....

vj101_012.jpg

Note that I have changed the firing handles on the ejection seat - internet photos of the VJ-101C show that the MB7 seat has twin firing handles - not the single loop that A&A have provided in etched-brass.

Ken

The two swivelling wingtip pods are each made up from no less than EIGHTEEN parts........

vj101_015.jpg

If the pods are to be made moveable, they have to be assembled in-situ on each wigtip - because there is a collar that goes on the inside half of the pod to hold it in place.....

vj101_016.jpg

The outer half - plus the front and rear components are then added.

All the parts needed some 'fettling' to get the best fit - but they will still need some filler along the various joints.

Ken

I don't normally go for 'working' parts on a model - but A&A provide the feature of rotating wingtip engine pods - so I've gone with it........

Look at the photo and make a zhooooozhing/whiring sound to accompany it :whistle:

vj101_017.jpg

Note that the engine intakes and cones are separate parts - not fitted yet.

Ken