P-3 Orion sheet ideas

Oh, like , I'm not gonna chime in on this one... :rolleyes:

I'll throw VP-26 on the pile of course. This is a 2011 photo from just before the move to Jacksonville. The "Trident" logo looks a bit small on this bird. As always the 17 stars on the tail tip for the fallen crews.

19143812_1365877820175625_47875829218343

This litho shows 777 with the "Trident running through the modex numbers on the nose...pretty cool!

1146.jpg

and maybe some VP-92, here's a P-3C in their final overall Gloss Gull Gray scheme:

2385.jpg

As well as the old South Weymouth NAS P-3B days, with the "Spirit" fleet;

VP-92_P-3_A_150515_1975.jpg

VP-92_P-3_A_150515_1975.jpg

5267.jpg

5268.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Going back to the Iranian fleet of birds...they do indeed still operate the P-3F model.

These pics were taking a couple years ago in the Persian Gulf while "rigging" on a USN carrier. You can see the AVQ-2 searchlight is still carried...I'm trying to find measurements on those to scratch build one. A P-3B/F conversion set would be nice. Note the KA-74A camera bay under the nose. You can see here how the paint scheme is cleaned up as compared to the older photo, also a cool looking logo on the nose. *Also note the recessed panel lines! :rolleyes:

P-3_F-_IRIAF-buzzes-_USS-_Lincoln-tower.

7182417897_84db5ab931_b.jpg

P-3_F-intercepted-685x513.jpg

P-3_F-intercepted-nose.jpg

P-3_F-intercepted-window-685x513.jpg

Kafuri_AS-12_Aircraft.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Great suggestions - thanks, as always. I recently finished the base drawings and will start finalizing the options as soon as I am done with the Dove / Devon sheets I am working on right now.

Kursad,

I am anxiously awaiting your P-3 Orion sheet(s).  I have a collection of 35 1:144 Lockheed P-3 Orion projects (3 built) with one L-188 Electra project thrown in for good measure! I still need 1:144 decals for: Brazil, Chile, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Portugal, Spain, USC&BP (dome), NOAA WP-3D and many USN VP/VPU/VQ/VW & (NATC, NRL, VXN, PMTC) squadrons. I will send you a CD with beaucoup pics.

R/ Dutch

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Dutch said:

You are going to do more than one sheet, right?  Might there be room for a RP-3A/D from VXN-8?

qqq.JPG

Definitely more than one sheet - just like the Neptunes (there are 2 more new Neptune sheets coming), these will share the same stencil/common marking sheets.

I have high-resolution nose art photos of a few of Project Magnet aircraft; I am not sure which one I will be doing yet. 

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, I said Dark Engine Gray for the VQ-1 scheme above, but I doubt I am correct.  After some searching on the web, I have not been able to locate the actual color for the EP-3B photo above.  I am petty sure that the fuselage top is Gloss White or Gloss Insignia White.  The radome looks to be flat black.  So the fuselage, wings and tail appears to be either gloss black or a very dark blue. Does anyone know for sure? R/ Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

BTW, I said Dark Engine Gray for the VQ-1 scheme above, but I doubt I am correct.  After some searching on the web, I have not been able to locate the actual color for the EP-3B photo above.  I am petty sure that the fuselage top is Gloss White or Gloss Insignia White.  The radome looks to be flat black.  So the fuselage, wings and tail appears to be either gloss black or a very dark blue. Does anyone know for sure? R/ Dutch

OK, some of the the early EP-3Bs were "black" with white added (BuNo 149678 and 149669)...this was because they started life as P-3A  "Bat Rack" aircraft painted overall gloss black and operated by the CIA and the ROCAF (Taiwan). When they were returned to the Navy and modified, they left the black and painted the white top. The photo of aircraft "31" may or may not be one of those two, can't see the BuNo.

The official Navy scheme for early P-3s was FS 26081 "Sea Plane Gray" and white. somewhere along the line, "Sea Plane Gray" started being called "Engine Gray". But FS 26081is what that color is on Navy patrol, flying boats , and helicopters of that era.

The 2011 Centenial schemes in the photos above show a gloss black and white bird and a Sea Plane Gray and white bird to pretty good effect.

Nice pics, Hooker! 

Andy you are probably right!  Thanks Bro!  The three special P-3As were: 149669, 149673 & 149678.  669 & 678 became EP-3B Bat rack and 673 became a UP-3A.  Both Bat Racks kept their black/white color scheme into the early 1970s based on photos from VP Navy website.

EP-3B 149678 = PR-31  LGG/W by Feb 1973

EP-3B 149669 = PR-32  LGG/W by Mar 1974

BTW, the only difference between Engine Gray, Seaplane Gray & Dark Gunship Gray is the lustre.  Essentially, they are the same FS tonal number.

Engine Gray = FS16081 (i.e. gloss)

Seaplane Gray = FS26081 (i.e. semi-gloss)

Dark Gunship Gray = FS36081 (i.e. matte)

Edited by Dutch
Add additional info, Correct FS number
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, McFly said:

Don´t forget VP-40 "Fighting Marlins" in White/Grey scheme

Hasegawa did markings for this in a recent release; and I am afraid this is one scheme I will not include - there are many others on the sheet that were never part of a kit decal sheet.

Edited by KursadA