P-3 Orion sheet ideas

18 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

Argentina......(Yes, a few sheets were released, but none of them are currently available)

LockheedP3BOrionsmall.jpg

There's a couple different sets still available on eBay offered by Dekls, including Argentine Orions. 1/72 and 1/44 scales.

Edited by r0t0rdr1ver
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, KursadA said:

Great suggestions, all - many thanks for your help. I have the base drawings almost ready and you will see a series of comprehensive Orion sheets within a few months; both US and foreign.

I did not have this one in mind (due to lack of references), but I don't think I can say "no" to my very first customer ever - so I will make sure there will be an Iranian option on the foreign P-3 sheet.

You're a good man Kursad.

• 4 months later...

Kursad

An Iranian Navy P-3F would be great for those that have not built it as yet. I have already built mine using a decal sheet from so long ago. It was not quite right and in fact was actually missing decals, specifically rescue arrows. Had to use 2 sheets to get enough. It is one of my favourite models I have built with its wonderful 3 tone blue scheme.

I think I will take some pics and post them here if I can.

17 hours ago, DrGlueblob said:

How about "Double Nuts" a Phoenix based firebomber back in the 90s. Or any firebomber, for that matter. I've got two ARII kits in 1/144 awaiting..

Draw Decal has offered the Aero Union P-3 Aerostar decals in 1/200, 1/144, & 1/72 since 2011.  Lone Star Models of Texas offered a resin Aerostar conversion in 1/72.  Here is a photo album of one built by Ray Seppala of Australia.  In 1/144 you will have to scratch your own retardant tank, unless some enterprising ARC member can 3D print one. (Hint, hint!)

[Sorry Kursad, I wasn't supposed to mention any other decal makers name or product here, lest any more baby seals die! My humble apologies to all the mother & baby seals.]

Edited by Dutch
On 11/24/2017 at 4:41 PM, KursadA said:

Great suggestions, all - many thanks for your help. I have the base drawings almost ready and you will see a series of comprehensive Orion sheets within a few months; both US and foreign.

I did not have this one in mind (due to lack of references), but I don't think I can say "no" to my very first customer ever - so I will make sure there will be an Iranian option on the foreign P-3 sheet.

Didnt they have a blue scheme and a brown scheme?

7 hours ago, Spectre711 said:

Didnt they have a blue scheme and a brown scheme?

2 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

I've only ever seen images of the blue camo scheme, that is not to say that a brown scheme exists.

They were delivered in the standard USN white over grey scheme in 1975, but was repainted in the three blues over grey shortly thereafter......

5-256-Pre-delivery-cs-1975-NAS-Moffet-Fieldl.jpg

1 hour ago, Johnopfor said:

They were delivered in the standard USN white over grey scheme in 1975, but was repainted in the three blues over grey shortly thereafter......

5-256-Pre-delivery-cs-1975-NAS-Moffet-Fieldl.jpg

Yes, indeed John. I did a little research and one was hastily painted in the blue camo for the 1975 Paris Airshow, later the paint was tidied up with a full repaint.  You can see where the serials and national markings were taped over for the camo paint in the linked picture

I believe there were only 5 aircraft in the fleet and one was lost in 1985. So 4 left and none in the brown scheme suggested

John & Ray, 

Some more info for the topic of Iranian P-3F Orions.  Six P-3F were delivered to the IRINA (Iranian Naval Aviation) between July 1974 & Jan 1975.  They were all delivered in the standard white over gull gray USN scheme. During a visit to Lockheed Burbank by the Shah for the roll-out of the first example, he expected something more dramatic for his aircraft.  This was right before the Paris Air Show, where his aircraft was to be displayed.  So, the last one (#5-261) was hastily painted in the three tone blue / gray scheme.  The Shah liked it so much, that all the other aircraft were similarly painted just prior to delivery.  During training, IRINA crew were based at Moffett and used standard USN P-3 training birds at VP-31 as well as flying their own aircraft in the USN Scheme.  But AFAIK, due to contractual stipulations, Lockheed pilots made the delivery flights in the blue camo birds.  Three more P-3s were ordered in late 1978, but were not delivered because of the revolution in 1979.  They were completed as standard P-3C and delivered to the USN.

The second aircraft (#5-257, re-serialled as 5-876) was lost in in Feb 1985 at Shiraz airbase.  There are currently two or three flying examples, the others being used for spare parts.  None were painted in a tan or brown camo, all are in the three tone blue / lt gray paint scheme.

R/ Dutch

009.jpg

Edited by Dutch
On 4/19/2018 at 10:24 PM, Trojan Thunder said:

Yes, indeed John. I did a little research and one was hastily painted in the blue camo for the 1975 Paris Airshow, later the paint was tidied up with a full repaint.  You can see where the serials and national markings were taped over for the camo paint in the linked picture

I believe there were only 5 aircraft in the fleet and one was lost in 1985. So 4 left and none in the brown scheme suggested

Maybe it was experimental but I'm looking around for the photos now.  They could be lost.

I remember seeing an article a couple months agi in an aviation magazine. I think it was Combat Aircraft and the article was about the current status of the aircraft of the Iran including the naval ones. If I remember correctly the Orions were being refurbished with the help of another nation. The articl4e had pictures of them on the tarmac and they looked good.