Nose turret fitted to the Lancaster. I've left off the plastic guns and will fit thin brass rod instead.

bbmf081.jpg

The top turret was much too tall, so about 1/16 inch was sanded off the bottom of the turret until it sat much lower in the fuselage. It's still the wrong profile, looking more like a Martin turret, but it will do. Because the original gun barrel slots were now lost below the fairing, new barrel holes were drilled.

bbmf082.jpg

Today, the Lancaster was armed! The brass gun barrels were fitted. They are still far too big for scale, but an improvement on the plastic kit parts.

bbmf088.jpg

Top turret. The barrels were glue in with PVA, which is still wet in this shot and hasn't yet dried clear.

bbmf089.jpg

The tail and fin de-icer boots were applied next. Then both the Lanc and Dak were trial fitted in the picture frame. The backboard was slightly over size, so that was trimmed to match. With the aircraft almost complete, I'll be starting on the dispersal's concrete and grass and the white metal vehicle soon.

bbmf096.jpg

The Dakota was given its matt coat late this afternoon.

bbmf097.jpg

The wheels were painted and glazing glued in with PVA. That just needs a small touch up once the glue is dry.

bbmf100.jpg

While things were drying, I also cut some styrene for the concrete perimeter track, based on the track just outside the BBMF hangar at RAF Coningsby. The back was roughed up with 80 grit sandpaper and it was epoxied down and weighted until fully cured.

bbmf101.jpg

Yesterday, I left the styrene weighted down and gluing with some 24 hour epoxy. Today it was given a wet sand with some 400grit wet & dry and then the concrete slabs joints were marked out in pencil, based on the Google Earth picture of the area just outside the BBMF hangar.

bbmf102.jpg

The joints were then scribed before priming. I had some etch primer which was mixed with some cellulose grey to give a quick dry time but firm bond.

bbmf103.jpg

Once dry, it was given a light wet sand and sprayed over in just grey cellulose primer as the base coat for the concrete.

bbmf104.jpg

The lower left area was masked off and the rest sprayed a lighter yellow/grey to match the real perimeter track. Using a darker grey, I went around the joints and random concrete slabs shading them. The whole area was then sprayed over again with a couple of different grey and yellow/grey shades. I final dark grey speckle was sprayed over everything. It was then all left to fully dry.

bbmf105.jpg

On the Dakota, the wheels were attached today and once they were dry, the landing lights and astro-dome were fitted, the glue being still wet at the time of the pictures. Just a little green to touch in around the cockpit and the props fitted after I sort the mounting points in the base.

bbmf106.jpg

bbmf107.jpg

Thanks!

The grass areas of the base were given a green undercoat in preparation for the final grass finish.

bbmf108.jpg

The edges of the frame were covered in Sellotape to protect the frame from the next stages. Fine sand was then sprinkled over the grass area. The frame kept a border free from sand where it would later be attached.

bbmf109.jpg

Loose sand was then brushed off the concrete areas with a paint brush. A water/detergent mix was used to wet out the sand, sprayed on with a plant sprayer.

bbmf110.jpg

A PVA/Water/Detergent mix was dripped onto the sand, allowing capillary action to pull the dilute glue into the sand grains. 

bbmf111.jpg

The glued area was then left to fully dry, which can take a good 24 hours or more, depending on glue/water ratio and temperature. It will then be ready for the grass colour to be added.

bbmf112.jpg

This morning, the grass was painted. I used green and red emulsion tester pots mixed together to make a slightly brown green colour. 

bbmf113.jpg

Both models were placed on the diorama and after a bit of shuffling around, I decided it worked best with the Lancaster over the larger area of concrete. Before the models could be mounted, I would need to cut some small lengths of M3 studding.

bbmf114.jpg

The Morris truck was painted a green base coat the other day and had 'Mickey Mouse' camo added today, followed by an RAF roundel on the bonnet. It still needs a matt coat.

bbmf115.jpg

I also had a packet of figures delivered the other day. They came unpainted and needed a little cleaning up at the sprue joints.

bbmf116.jpg

With the Lanc and Dak being modelled on recent paint schemes, but a WW2 era truck to include, I decided on using the people to tie it all together. This was done in the painting of the figures. There are three sets of people. The BBMF crew are in black overalls. Then there are some WW2 aircrew re-enactors in RAF blue with kit bags and life jackets. Finally, as there were some figures with walking sticks, they were painted as WW2 veterans and their families. The scene will be a veterans reunion with the BBMF crew and re-enactors showing them the aircraft. 

bbmf117.jpg

After the M3 studding was cut and screwed into the models, a piece of scrap wood was marked up for the positions of the studding. Holes were drilled in it to allow the model to sit down onto its wheels. This would be the alignment jig for the holes in the base of the diorama.

bbmf118.jpg

Once both the Lanc and Dak had a hole template made, they were placed into the frame, along with the mount card to set their final position.

bbmf119.jpg

Once I was happy with the position, the frame was lifted clear and then carefully, each model was lifted off, leaving the wooden hole jig behind. The holes were marked through onto the base and then drilled.

bbmf120.jpg

Once looking down on the models in the frame, the studding shouldn't be seen, but if it is from any angle, I'll touch it in with paint to match the concrete base and model colour.

bbmf123.jpg

The Lancaster props were glued on next, and the model placed by my photo backdrop for a picture.

bbmf124.jpg

The Dakota props were added after the Lanc and that was also photographed against the backdrop.

bbmf125.jpg

It's getting close now. The figures and Morris truck were drying, as were all the props on the aircraft. The mounting holes were done and it was just about ready for final assembly. I may sleeve the studding with painted brass tube. This will allow the nut to be tightened on the back of the frame without placing stress on the landing gear.

bbmf127.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Tuesday February 6th - the last day on the project!

Today was final assembly day. The Lancaster and Dakota were placed back on to the base to judge the position of the truck. That had previously had the bottom drilled and a piece of copper wire epoxied in. This was useful for holding during painting, but would also help secure the vehicle to the base. The copper wire was trimmed so it stood a couple of millimetres beyond the back of the base, and filed with a coarse needle file to rough up the surface. The copper was coated with epoxy, and a dab was added to the back axel. A small nut was also epoxied to the back of the copper wire.

bbmf129.jpg

The Lancaster and Dakota were attached next, with small M3 nuts onto the protruding studding. They were nipped up and a bead of epoxy applied around the nut to keep it from turning. Small feet were glued to the back of the picture, which would later have a felt square attached. These stop the picture from scratching the wall it is hanging on.

bbmf130.jpg