The BBMF decals don't have wing walkway lines as some 1/144 scale sets do, so I had to cut my own. They're too think for scale, but a little less than 1mm is as small as I could cut.

bbmf049.jpg

They don't look too bad once on the wings. The ailerons are of course too big, but it's being built to a budget, so there's a limit to the changes I was prepared to do to the kit. The roundels are also possibly a fraction too big looking at photos of the real aircraft.

bbmf050.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The BBMF Lanc often has heavy exhaust staining across the wings. These were masked with blu-tac and sprayed. They came out heavier than I wanted, and the lighting in this picture makes them look heavier than real life. Part of the problem is using an Iwata Kustom TH airbrush bought for spraying 1/6 to 1/3 scale radio controlled aircraft, which has a 0.6mm nozzle. A bit big for 1/144 scale. I had a plan to fix it though.

bbmf057.jpg

Prop tips were also painted.

bbmf058.jpg

The canopy hadn't moulded well, and was missing part of the lower edge. This was built up with some tube glue and will be mostly covered by the painted lower frame edge anyway.

bbmf059.jpg

The main canopy was masked for the frames. I always mask in straight lines and paint in stages, rather than masking lots of tiny squares and triangles and paint all the frames in one go. The straight line method allows much easier masking. The turrets were all painted freehand, squinting through a x15 watch makers magnifier. 

bbmf060.jpg

To tone down the exhaust staining, I used a cotton bud, and stippled green and brown over the exhaust marks, similar to dry brushing. The canopy was placed on just for the pictures, but the frame painting wasn't complete at the time. The wings are also not attached yet, just pushed into place for the pictures.

bbmf061.jpg

The wheels were clipped into the legs and the Lanc set up for a few photos.

bbmf062.jpg

Wow, you're doing an outstanding job on what looks to be 2 kits that give no quarter! :thumbsup: 

Also looks like both suffer from horribly outsized landing gear. Interesting how you're doing the canopy. I'll try that out on an Amodel Lanc I have yet to build; a 1/144 X-1 also has that canopy frame style. I also like your diorama boxes. Do you have some more that you can show?

I've built the Minicraft C-47, and the wings are a bear. I've scraped the inside trailing edges with a knife blade to get the wings to behave. Take a look at the Roden C-47s in the future, the plastic is so much nicer, but you do need to get other decals as Roden's are very sad.

Those are excellent! I love the stories in them.

Looks like you're using a combination of image editing and collage work to make the bases. I've recently discovered how to make nice bases using Gimp for image editing and the local photo printer, like the F-4F in my current sig. It would be nice to try something like what you've done for a future C-47 build I have waiting with some nice decals I have for the Berlin Airlift.

The DH.88 is one of my faves; is that 1/72 or 1/144?

The Comet is the old 1/72 Airfix kit. Poor fit and lots of sanding and filling, but a very nice shape once complete. I also use GIMP for photo editing. The background graphics were all done with GIMP and printed on 12x8" photo paper by an online firm. On the Camel, I found a set of embroidered RFC wings on Ebay and glued them in with "No More Nails" silicone adhesive.

Having them framed and behind glass protects them and keeps the dust off.

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • 1 month later...

Life got in the way recently, but the Dak finally got its tail on a couple of days ago.

bbmf065.jpg

After a bit of filling and sanding of the tailplane joints, the nacelle lower halves were fitted.

bbmf066.jpg

In the kit, there were two sets of cowlings, and three sets of front nacelle sections of different lengths. After a check of a photo of the BBMF Dak, I picked the combination that looked the closest match and attached the engines to the nacelle front sections.

bbmf067.jpg

Hi pal, what a great build   .. rarely to see, that someone is still building these ancient kits. Btw. I have been searching for this Crown Lancaster kit in the past, for a future model kits museum. My question now is - in case you don`t need those any more - I`d buy from you the original box, the instructions and even If you don`t need the leftovers of all the decals. If Ok, just tell me the price incl. shipping (as a letter) to Germany. Thanks !

I printed out a Dakota plan and side views, and using photos of the original found online, drew out the camo pattern on the drawing. I then went to the workshop and copied the pattern onto the model.

bbmf070.jpg

Because of the tight space between the fuselage and nacelles, I decided not to mask and spray the green, but to brush paint it freehand instead. There's a slight shine on part of the brown on the fuselage where the brown is still wet. That had to be touched up after accidentally getting some green on it while trying to paint the inside face of the starboard nacelle.

bbmf071.jpg

Today, the masking on the sky underside was removed, and the whole model given a light wet rub down with a flatting pad to knock off any lumps and bumps. There's a couple of minor touch ups where the thin green paint crept along panel lines, but otherwise came out well. After the touch ups, it will be time for a gloss coat and decals.

bbmf072.jpg

bbmf073.jpg

On 1/15/2018 at 12:56 PM, Army_Air_Force said:

Here's what I have left. Even the decals! :-) You can have it all for the shipping cost. I'll check later today and send you a private message.

IMG_0451.JPG.79aa2364f53cd89367a130fbfa1a8bac.JPG

Hi Steve, the boxes have arrived, thanks a lot !!!!

Fortunately for the 'AI' squadron codes, the BBMF Lanc set had a red 'V' and 'T' amongst them. The arms of the 'T' was cut off to make the 'I' and the cut off parts, along with the 'V' inverted, made the 'A'.

bbmf076.jpg

I couldn't resist a quick picture of the pair together.

bbmf077.jpg

I also made the graphic for the Pegasus logo on the nose, and printed that onto decal paper. It was given a protective sprayed coat, but left overnight to fully cure before it gets dunked in water.

bbmf078.jpg

bbmf079.jpg

Later in the day, the Lancaster was jigged up and its wings were glued in place and left to dry.

bbmf080.jpg