1/48 French Helicopters

How about an NH-90, Tiger, a twin Ecureuil, EC145/UH-72, and Caracal?

AFAIK, the only French helicopters in 1/48 are:

(1) Heller - SA 330 Puma.  Awful and dated kit.  But only choice for a Puma, and I have seen online some very nice models.  OOP.

(2) Heller - Alouette 2.  OK but basic kit. 

(3) Heller - Alouette 3.  Not in 1/48...more like 1/35 and awful kit.  OOP.

(4) Fujimi - Alouette 3.  Basic kit, awful main rotor head.

(5) Heller Gazelle.  Seems too little for the scale.  Advertised as 1/50.

(6) Fujimi - Aloutte 3.  Basic kit. recently re-released.

(7) Italeri Tiger (also available as Revell).  Not representative of in-service helicopters.  OOP.

(8) Heller Ecureuil.  Single engine version, various boxes, still in production.  Basic kit.  Many decals available to make Australian, Brazilian machines.

(9) Heller - Frelon (not Super Frelon).  Even more awful than the Puma.  OOP.

(10) Fujimi Gazelle - not sure about its accuracy (e.g., carries 6 "hot" missiles, and I never saw than on an ALAT machine).  OOP.

(11) Heller Dauphin 1.  Simple kit.  As with the original Frelon, the Dauphin 1 was a commercial failure.  OOP.

(12) Trumpeter Dauphin 2. A number of releases for making civilian and Chinese military machines.  Very bad clear parts.

(13) Kitty Hawk Dauphin 2. A recent kit, but I have yet to be able to assemble this kit correctly.  Is it only me?

I don't think I missed anything.

...And I will not hold my breath for a new release from Heller.

Edited by helonewb
5 hours ago, helonewb said:

How about an NH-90, Tiger, a twin Ecureuil, EC145/UH-72, and Caracal?

...And I will not hold my breath for a new release from Heller.

yes, we definitely need a new tool Tiger.

In service in France, Germany, Spain and Australia.

Has been on heavy duty in Afghanistan, Mali, Centrafique, Libya, even Somalia...

EXPH-0397-03R_A4.jpg

And no, It is better not to expect anything from Heller.

Maybe Kittyhawk? Trumpeter?

Talk French helicopters, talk Heller.  Major problem was indeed Heller's inability to get the scale right most of the time; the Alouette III ridiculous overscale and the Gazelle too small (I consider the Heller Gazelle better than the Fujimi Gazelle btw). The Dauphins 360 and 365 and the Alouette II/ Lama seem undersized too. Other regular peculiarity of imho all Heller kits, is the standard rudimental rotor head as Helonwb already mentioned.

Somehow every time Heller seems to rise back up, and I am happy with the opportunity to stock up on Alouette II's and Ecureuil's/ A-stars. Although these models are a bit basic, the dimensions are ok and overall fit is not too bad. One can add the desired detail one wants. I rather have that than f.i. the KH Dauphin that is stuffed with so much interior detail that in the end it fits like s#!t (So no: it's not only you, Helonewb!).

In my dreams Heller would get (or take) the chance to continue their 1:48 helicopter kit- line. We could definitely use a Cougar/ 225, new Dauphin (or EC155), 130 and 135 and 145.

Edited by GeejeeZ

There was a rumor Italeri will do a Caracal helicopter (EC-225, EC 725 family).

For the KH kit, if you remove 1 mm from the bottom of the cabin backwall (make it fit the wheel well) all the kit builds fine.

1 hour ago, norbert said:

There was a rumor Italeri will do a Caracal helicopter (EC-225, EC 725 family).

For the KH kit, if you remove 1 mm from the bottom of the cabin backwall (make it fit the wheel well) all the kit builds fine.

Thanks for the tip on the KH Dauphin, Norbert! I will give it another try.

I guess what I find attractive about the Heller kits, is exactly the fact that they build up pretty basic and fast. The KH Dauphin takes ages, because of the fact that it builds up from the inside; you have to stack up all kinds of later completely invisible interior and engine parts, before you get to closing the thing up and sanding flush the separate fuselage panels, thereby removing panel detail. If I would want all that kind of detail, I am capable of adding it myself.

Take for example the Heller Ecureuil/ Astar or the Alouette II: inexpensive kits on which I enjoy experimenting with adding parts to the rotor head, and spicing up the interior and the interior parts. No need for a kit that costs a fortune and that supplies all the extra parts I'm not interested in.

Ok guys, I know: off my soapbox again!

:cheers:

Gertjan

Yes, I forgot about the Scalewox Alouette III.  I have 2 on order.

I also forgot about the Lynx, but to be fair, the project was led by Westland, and the current kit (Airfix and Academy) are for recent Lynx models.  The French Navy use an older model that cannot be depicted with the Airfix kit.  You can depict a French Navy Lynx with the limited run Belcher Bits Lynx though.  The Academy kit is a rebox of the Airfix Navy Lynx for the ROK Navy.

On 11/23/2017 at 1:36 PM, helonewb said:

Yes, I forgot about the Scalewox Alouette III.  I have 2 on order.

I also forgot about the Lynx, but to be fair, the project was led by Westland, and the current kit (Airfix and Academy) are for recent Lynx models.  The French Navy use an older model that cannot be depicted with the Airfix kit.  You can depict a French Navy Lynx with the limited run Belcher Bits Lynx though.  The Academy kit is a rebox of the Airfix Navy Lynx for the ROK Navy.

Mike Belcher of "Belcher Bits" has a nice early Naval Lynx conversion. The decals are very nice, too (you get two identical sheets).

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/148conv/bb35.htm#

4 hours ago, Raymonds said:

I ve' just made my own 1/32 super puma ,  no idea why no manufacture interested in this helicopter :soapbox:

Don't know why you would need someone to make a kit for you. You do very well on your own. 

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

Don't know why you would need someone to make a kit for you. You do very well on your own. 

but he is right, Puma family have many nice schemes, from china rescue to french special forces, through US Navy carrier palet handling and offshore transportation, and so much more.

Was hopping Trumpeter or Kittyhawk do one

Norbert

1 hour ago, norbert said:

but he is right, Puma family have many nice schemes, from china rescue to french special forces, through US Navy carrier palet handling and offshore transportation, and so much more.

Norbert

But not in 1:32 please.

My complete house would fit inside a 1:32 SuperPuma/ Cougar.

18 hours ago, norbert said:

Norbert

I do think trumpeter / KH will make H175 instead of super pump, becoz chinese army will use Z-15 (H175 chinese version) in furture

7 hours ago, Raymonds said:

I do think trumpeter / KH will make H175 instead of super pump, becoz chinese army will use Z-15 (H175 chinese version) in furture

Now THAT would be awesome! Would love to make some H175 civil offshore models!!!

Edited by GeejeeZ