On 2017-11-29 at 8:56 AM, Ranger74 said:

I also made same mistake. Just finished reading Osprey's book on the battle.....oh, well. Sometimes getting sucks.

Actually neither of us made a mistake. It is spelled three different ways, or misspelled in various article.

Fairly sure it is in all reality spelt two different ways, I suspect on way is the French version and the other English.

On 11/28/2017 at 12:40 AM, Scooby said:

I don’t think the tail wheel is up, the resolution of those images isn’t the greatest. I have some coverage on DVD that clearly shows the gear is down. It is well documented the Corsairs/Hellcats just lifted off the airfield and dropped their ordnance. I see no reason to use the dive brakes in straight and level flight.

The one Corsair with his gear up probably had more time to loiter so he retracted his gear.

The island was so small that it took less than 15 seconds to arrive on target after takeoff, not even enough time for the Corsairs to retract their landing gear. At one point there was a bombing run on a Japanese strongpoint only 1,000 yards from MAB, close enough for bomb fragments to pepper the airfield.

Just because you don't think the tail wheel was up doesn't mean it's not, believing a lie doesn't make it true.

Firebombs are not delivered in level flight, they are delivered in a 10 to 30 degree dive, this helps increase the splash pattern (coverage area). Also, there is a minimum and maximum release airspeed limit for delivering ordnance in order for the fuze to arm properly, hence the reason for deploying speed-brakes while in a dive.

You don't just take off and start dropping ordnance 15 seconds after take off, especially within close proximity to friendly ground forces, that's a sure fire way to fry your own forces and that doesnn't help your side at all. If they were releasing ordnance 15 seconds after take-off like you have stated I'm sure they were not above the minimum release airspeed (for firebombs it was at least above 150 knots) since they were still climbing for altitude with a fully loaded aircraft.

There's a lot to consider when employing ordnance, you don't just take off and hit the pickle. You have carriage/release min/max airspeed limits, fuze arm time/time of fall, down range travel, splash pattern, hazard pattern and now a days, safe escape just to name a few.

We'll just have to agree to disagree and let the reader's of this thread make up their own minds.

Edited by GW8345