Happy Turkey (F-14) Day

Here's my yearly contribution to Thanksgiving "Turkey" Day.

Preproduction

dsc-0507_orig.jpg

VF-1 Wolfpack

5461970_orig.jpg?198

2060181_orig.jpg?198

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

8493148_orig.jpg?198

6864993_orig.jpg?198

5819004_orig.jpg

VF-11 Red Rippers

4465757_orig.jpg?198

35281_orig.jpg

VF-14 Tophatters

6421034_orig.jpg?175

2497752_orig.jpg

VF-21 Freelancers

8946830_orig.jpg?198

VF-24 Renegades

8186218_orig.jpg?198

VF-31 Tomcatters

7194667_orig.jpg?198

VF-32 Swordsmen

2955161_orig.jpg?198

9380231_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts

What a great collection! Seeing all these markings through the same lense really helps appreciate the different squadrons. Aardvark, VX-23, Sluggers and hiviz Swordsmen are my favorites there.

About your Ghostrider below. What decals did you use for the finflash, AG, star and bars? The Modex 212 with yellow outlines and the pilot names, are they from the Revell-Monogram F-14A? I am looking to build the exact airframe but have been stuck as I don't have the yellow modex and pilot names. 

Also, can you comment on R/M decals in general? The last time I built one was many years ago, but I remember the decals to be actually pretty good (thin and no silvering). If this is the case, I may try to find RM VF-142 decals and use them the way I think you did here.

7955627_orig.jpg?198

There was actually an old, old Repliscale sheet that had these markings on them. You could use the Monogram decals, though. Most of the recent (past 10 years) are decent. You could get ahold of the Furball lo-vis sheet that has the AG and the grim reaper in dark gray and either paint over it in black or make a copy of it. This scheme is the only one Geoff hasn't released. He said it will probably be a future release. Good luck with the project!

On 11/23/2017 at 7:20 PM, Darren Roberts said:

There was actually an old, old Repliscale sheet that had these markings on them. You could use the Monogram decals, though. Most of the recent (past 10 years) are decent. You could get ahold of the Furball lo-vis sheet that has the AG and the grim reaper in dark gray and either paint over it in black or make a copy of it. This scheme is the only one Geoff hasn't released. He said it will probably be a future release. Good luck with the project!

Great, thanks. I have the Furball sheet and was indeed planning to use the grim reaper from there like you said. I just realized I have the RM decals that I could not find any buyers for:

IMG_2045.JPG

Now looking at these, the yellow shadow around 212 is too thick. I may just end up printing my own numbers on a color printer. 

To all: I have a 1/48 Hasegawa F-14A that does *not* have the old grill gun vent seen below. It has the NACA vents only. It has everything else including the ECM bumps, L-braces on the fins, TCS chin pod etc. that the Tamiya kit does not have: 

F-14A_VF-142_Ghostriders_Jan_1985.JPEG

I would really like to use the Hasegawa kit. Is there an AM gun vent grill I can use for this kit? Some old Hasegawa boxings have this old style vent, but not my boxing. To add to the confusion, in Hasegawa A boxings, both the grill and NACA vents are numbered A15!!! Please see here for more details:

Apologies for the confusing post... In summary, I am asking if: (1) there is an AM part for the grill vent, or (2) somebody could sell me the Hasegawa part A15 from the old boxings (not the NACA vent). I can trade my NACA vent away if needed.

Edited by Janissary