Airbrush question

A question for you guys with Iwata knowledge .

I build mostly 1/72 but I am looking at larger possibilities . Namely some 1/48 and larger kit . I use acrylics for the  most part.

I really enjoy my Iwata revolution but it is aimed mostly at finer details .

I was looking at the parts in the Iwata CR models but don't see a clear answer between the Revolution or the eclipse .

Ability to spray and ease of upkeep.

Thank you in advance .  Thanks, Christian 

Christian,

If you like your Revolution CR and have mastered it, then I think it will be fine for larger scales.  From what I see it has a .5 needle set. with the only upgrade being the .3 needle set.  I understand that to mean the ability to spray a finer smaller line.  Take a look at this video on youtube.  

I do have a Eclipse hp-cs, that i have about 20 hours thru (painting 1/35 and 1/48) as well as a new yet-to-be-used iwata neo-cn.  I mention the neo, as it seems to have a similar structure as the revolution.

I find the Eclipses nozzle assembly to be quite easy to clean,  as it is much larger.   With the head cap used to clamp the eclipses nozzle assembly in place it seems to be much less fiddly to disassemble than the microwrench method the revolution or neo use.  That neo nozzle is SMALL!.  I would imagine it COULD be susceptible to over torque-ing when reassembled.  The eclipse can be reasonably had at hobby lobby especially with their "once a week" 40% off regularly priced item coupon.

Enough of my fan-boy enthusiasm of the eclipse!    If you like your revolution, and spray well with it,  you should keep your revolution!  

As mentioned above, a 0.5mm needle and nozzle will be key for larger models. I have an HP-CS (0.3mm) and a HP-TH  (0.5mm) on QD fittings so I can readily switch between ABs. Here's a pic of my setup, where I attached a clamp-on dual AB holder to the side of my compressor.

iwata-hanger.jpg

If you look at the parts breakdown of each brush  (you can find them on the Iwata site) you will see that the heads are entirely different.  The Eclipse is a much easier-to-service head design ... and it is really designed to work with the paints we use ... however if you are looking for a larger spray pattern , you're not going to see a huge amount of difference. If that is what you're looking for, then you would be better off with the Iwata RG-3 or Eclipse G-6  ... Look here ... http://paulbudzik.com/miniature-spray-guns/miniature-spray-guns-pg-3.html

Edited by Paul Budzik
Spelling Error
47 minutes ago, Paul Budzik said:

however if you are looking for a larger spray pattern , you're not going to see a huge amount of difference

Have to respectfully disagree. I see a huge difference between a 0.3mm and 0.5mm nozzle. I know you're no fan of the TH, but I am! The important point, however, is that its 0.5mm needle is so much better for primer, base colors, and clear coats than the 0.3mm needle on the CS. Perhaps I notice this because I use lacquer, which demands careful application. Other paint formulations may well be more forgiving, but if that is true, why rely on forgiveness?

The OP was asking about the Revolution CR which has (at least according to the literature) a .5mm nozzle and needle and comparing it to the Eclipse.  The only way he will have that size nozzle with an Eclipse is either buy the BCS (bottle feed) or the CS and a conversion kit.  As far as the TH ... I have had that airbrush for many years and I think I am as familiar with it as any one ...

While in round pattern form, it is marginally larger than an Eclipse CS with a conversion (I know because I use them both)  and with the fan pattern ... it is a poor performer when compared to the Eclipse G6 (or any other proper fan pattern that is adjustable) ... which I'd be willing to bet ... you've never used.  I may have misunderstood the OP, but it seemed to me he was looking for a pattern significantly larger than the Revolution that he is currently using.  If you are unfamiliar with, or have limited exposure to, quality miniature spray guns, you might want to review my videos.

Paul

To make this clear , I have mastered the revolution BR , not the Cr

Ok , I have now read all the replies and considered each point made by each modeler.

After wading through the Iwata webb information  here is what I found. 

#1 , the  C model airbrushes holds  more paint which will help with larger  projects.

#2 the  .5 MM Revolution claims a spray pattern  of 1 1/2 "

the .5 MM  Eclipse claims a spray pattern of 2 "

#3  the spray nozzle on the Eclipse should be easier to disassemble and clean than the revolution . ( Something I seem to do fairly often ) .

One of the reasons I am interested in a  .5 MM nozzle is because my friends claim that the thicker paints do not spit from the larger nozzles as they sometimes do from the .3 MM models.

So, from what I have read only, the .5 MM Eclipse CS might be my best bet for 1/48 to 1/35 models ?

I do agree , that HP TH is likely a better suited airbrushes for 1/32 & 1/24  scale models and possibly a bit of overkill for what I currently have my sights on . 

The .5 MM  eclipse might be a good in between tool.

One more question . Seeing as the nozzles between the Revolution and Eclipse look so different , does anyone find a difference in how they sprays ?

Please feel free to add any comments or thoughts on this subject . 

Cheers, Christian