MiG-21SMT color questions

Going to be starting Eduard's 1/48th SMT (a wonderful looking kit by the way).   I'm going to be modeling a nuclear strike version, using the Brassin IAB-500 https://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Brassin/Aircraft/1-48/IAB-500-imitation-atomic-bomb-1-48.html .   Always liked the SMT in this configuration, loaded and ready for WW3. 

Had a few questions -

Directions call out for either grey or interior green for the wheel wells.   Which color was most prevalent?  Any equivalents out there using US spec paints?

I heard the turquoise green they used for the cockpit PE is not accurate.  Is this really the case?  How does Testor's Interior Blue / Green measure up?

I like the look the of the 80's tactical camouflage but am a bit nervous about airbrushing such a complex scheme.   Just curious, did the Soviet's "freehand" this randomly or was it applied in a uniform pattern like US schemes?  Every picture I've seen shows differences.   Any suggestions for paints?  I think AK offers a bunch, not sure which ones airbrush the best.

Thanks in advance for any info.

John

Yesterday at Plastiková Zima 2017 modeling show in Bratislava I was consulting with Mr.Paint guys and they have shown to me versions of their paints for MiG cockpits, acrylic and traditional. They look a little bit pale in comparison to real factory new MiG parts that I have in my collection. But we have agreed that the paint in the way they have it is a perfect scale representation of the Russian cockpit colour.

As far as I have seen the camo was applied freehand on MiG-21’s with no 2 identical aircraft. I believe they only had an order to use certain paints and approximate ratio between colours was given. Having seen in mid 1980’s in person on the ramp 21’s at Tokol on the Russian side and inside other bases, they were different.  

All this is in stark contrast with what is happening today. The new Su aircraft are painted based on a precise order. They are still painted “freehand” with variations between airframes but the pattern is basically the same and only differences are in the “waves” between colours.

Best regards

Gabor

On ‎24‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 10:52 PM, 11bee said:

I heard the turquoise green they used for the cockpit PE is not accurate.  Is this really the case?  How does Testor's Interior Blue / Green measure up?

Testors/MM paint is way too pale, to be accurate representation. And if you are going to use the PE parts, you'll be forced to match the PE's colour, accurate or not.

well, I don't know about which is more common, but I am also not sure which interior green is mentioned in the instructions? Well I don't recall seeing them green at all, ever - maybe grey with greenish hue, neutal grey, blueish grey, even cream colour.

Just one of the many MiG-21 walkarounds on the net: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/mig-21smt_walk_1.htm

11bee: if you're building the Profipack boxing, most of the cockpit is photo-etch, so you're going to be pretty much stuck with Eduard's color. IMHO it's not bad. It's a bit bluer than greener, but it's a pretty good match for at least some photos I found online when I was building the same kit. There are some areas that need to be painted. The best match I found for the Eduard PE was Model Master Tropical Turquoise. I used the spray can version, decanted and airbrushed, before I discovered that it's also available in the small square bottles.

FWIW, I went with USN Medium Gray FS 35237 for the wheel wells -- blue-greenish tinge.