What's needed to build a 48th Scale EKA-3B

Pondering my next project and wanted to know what I need to for aftermarket items to build an accurate EKA-3B.   There have been multiple threads over the last few years that touched on this but it's tough to find them with the current ARC search engine.  From what I recall, the Trumpeter kit has some issues with the nacelles and other areas.  Also, are their any aftermarket decals / PE detailing sets out there for this kit?

Thank you in advance. 

I've got the same question.

I've already read multiple theads here about resin correction sets for these Trumpeter kits, but they all got pretty tiny and lackluster pictures of the resin parts:

What bring the Hypersonic nacelles?

Please add some good pictures of the resin parts, the plastic parts and the real A/C, which explain directly the need.

Same thing for the other manufacturers.

The EKA-3B parts are actually in the KA-3B kit. Here are some things that you could fix in the kit:

-seats from Steel Beach
- engine nacelles from Hypersonic (the kit ones are too narrow at the opening)

- refueling pod from SB (the one in the kit is oversized and can only be built in the extended position)

- fuel dump from SB (the tip of the fuel dump has a triangle shape which is missing from the kit)

- nose from SB (the kit nose is a bit too flat at the tip, but with paint you may not notice it)

The canopy also has some issues, but others will know more about it. i think Hypersonic was trying to do a clear resin canopy, but I don't know if they succeeded or not. The other issue is the wheel bays. They are in the wrong position on the kit and not "see through" like on the real thing. Again, Hypersonic was toying with doing a resin set.

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

The EKA-3B parts are actually in the KA-3B kit. Here are some things that you could fix in the kit:

-seats from Steel Beach
- engine nacelles from Hypersonic (the kit ones are too narrow at the opening)

- refueling pod from SB (the one in the kit is oversized and can only be built in the extended position)

- fuel dump from SB (the tip of the fuel dump has a triangle shape which is missing from the kit)

- nose from SB (the kit nose is a bit too flat at the tip, but with paint you may not notice it)

The canopy also has some issues, but others will know more about it. i think Hypersonic was trying to do a clear resin canopy, but I don't know if they succeeded or not. The other issue is the wheel bays. They are in the wrong position on the kit and not "see through" like on the real thing. Again, Hypersonic was toying with doing a resin set.

Looks like aside from the seats, all the other SB stuff is out of production.   Any plans to reissue these bits?  

11bee,

I am building a EKA-3B from VAH-134 on it's 1972 cruise aboard USS Hancock.  I am using the Trumpeter EKA-3B kit #02872.  I have a couple of the Steel Beach sets, and have corresponded with Jeffrey of Hypersonic (UK) to get on the waiting list when he recasts the engine sets.  I am using Caracal Decals 48045 sheet, cutting and splicing the BuNo. and adding in the correct NP tailcode from the Microscale Skyhawk sheet. I was just at the NAS Pensacola airshow and they had an ERA-3B from the museum on display.  I took a few pictures, and yes, you can see through from one side to the other at the forward part of the main gear well. Good luck. R/ Dutch

15 hours ago, Dutch said:

11bee,

I am building a EKA-3B from VAH-134 on it's 1972 cruise aboard USS Hancock.  I am using the Trumpeter EKA-3B kit #02872.  I have a couple of the Steel Beach sets, and have corresponded with Jeffrey of Hypersonic (UK) to get on the waiting list when he recasts the engine sets.  I am using Caracal Decals 48045 sheet, cutting and splicing the BuNo. and adding in the correct NP tailcode from the Microscale Skyhawk sheet. I was just at the NAS Pensacola airshow and they had an ERA-3B from the museum on display.  I took a few pictures, and yes, you can see through from one side to the other at the forward part of the main gear well. Good luck. R/ Dutch

Hi Dutch,

Any pics of your build? I'd be interested in following along.  Didn't know the Hypersonics set was OOP, it wasn't listed as such on their website.   That's a disappointment, I won't bother starting this build until I can get my hands on this set, I think it's pretty critical.   Any chance you can post that pic of the wheel well?

Both (bomber) canopies and engine sets are on stock and have been for a while now. I'm down to my last engine set of the latest cast run though, new ones being made and added soon.

Sorry Dutch, I've re-stocked the engine sets at least twice since our last exchange, but it wasn't quite clear whether you actually wanted one at the time. That might have been a misunderstanding...

After the early batch I had for Telford 2016, the bomber canopies (early and late) have been in regular production since spring this year and are regularly re-stocked. I only can't keep them (and the engines) permanently in stock like my other items because a lot of casting work and time goes into making them. I have to stock finite numbers, let them sell out and re-stock another finite batch as and when the parts are ready.

If I get a chance, I can try and post comparison photos with the kit parts, it's just that posting has become a little more complicated with Photobucket's demise and I'm always short of time...

Currently, I'm working on the "Version" canopy master (again, an early and late type will appear). The wheel well set will happen one day, but I still can't say when I can finally pick up the work on this again.

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK

Hi Folks - may I offer you some assistance?

Here are a couple of quick snaps of one of the Hypersonic A-3 engine nacelles alongside the kit parts -

HyperNacReps1.jpg

Hypersonic on the left, Trumpeter on the right

HyperNacReps2.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo - I just grabbed these and took a couple of quick snaps.

I picked up my set at Telford and must say that it's absolutely delightful. It does need careful handling, though - the casting is very fine. Detail is excellent and the engineering is great.

Jeffrey - I've decided to do my KA-3B as an in-flight refuelling (along with a thirsty RA-5C) diorama, so won't be needing the wheel wells - sorry.

If any of you need better photos just PM me and I'll take some better ones during this week.

All the best

Kev

5 hours ago, 11bee said:

Without being too much of a pain, any rough idea when you think those bits will be available?   

I think everything you need is now available.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/sba48109.htm

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/sba48116.htm

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/sba48154.htm

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/sba48112.htm

I forgot about the tailhook. That's the fourth item I listed above.

@11bee, I have not started my EKA-3B build yet. In fact, I have a dozen 1:144 models in various stages of completion, so am devoting my attention there. 

@Darren, on a side note, I need two of set SBA48-103 A-4F Super Fox intake set. Currently OOS @ SprueBros. Can I order direct from you or wait for SprueBros to restock?

@ Jeffrey, my apologies, the misunderstanding was all mine. I didn't realize that you were casting in small batches. I will order an engine set directly in the next fortnight. Cheers! R/ Dutch

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Wow... that was quick!   Order placed at Sprue Brothers.   Got approx  ~ $20 Cyber Weekend discount on the kit and your resin.   

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Both (bomber) canopies and engine sets are on stock and have been for a while now. I'm down to my last engine set of the latest cast run though, new ones being made and added soon.

Sorry Dutch, I've re-stocked the engine sets at least twice since our last exchange, but it wasn't quite clear whether you actually wanted one at the time. That might have been a misunderstanding...

After the early batch I had for Telford 2016, the bomber canopies (early and late) have been in regular production since spring this year and are regularly re-stocked. I only can't keep them (and the engines) permanently in stock like my other items because a lot of casting work and time goes into making them. I have to stock finite numbers, let them sell out and re-stock another finite batch as and when the parts are ready.

If I get a chance, I can try and post comparison photos with the kit parts, it's just that posting has become a little more complicated with Photobucket's demise and I'm always short of time...

Currently, I'm working on the "Version" canopy master (again, an early and late type will appear). The wheel well set will happen one day, but I still can't say when I can finally pick up the work on this again.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey,

I just went to your site to order the engine set.  Listed as "out of stock".   Any update on when it will be available for order would be appreciated.   

Love to see the comparison pics you mentioned for the canopy, as I'm not clear what the issue is with the Trumpy part (to be honest, I need to crack a book on the A-3, since I'm not 100% clear on whether the EKA-3B is a bomber or a "version"). 

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

@11bee, I have not started my EKA-3B build yet. In fact, I have a dozen 1:144 models in various stages of completion, so am devoting my attention there. 

@Darren, on a side note, I need two of set SBA48-103 A-4F Super Fox intake set. Currently OOS @ SprueBros. Can I order direct from you or wait for SprueBros to restock?

@ Jeffrey, my apologies, the misunderstanding was all mine. I didn't realize that you were casting in small batches. I will order an engine set directly in the next fortnight. Cheers! R/ Dutch

I'm casting more this week. The plan is to bring them to SB next Sunday and they will be available soon after that. At least that's the plan. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, 11bee said:

Jeffrey,

I just went to your site to order the engine set.  Listed as "out of stock".   Any update on when it will be available for order would be appreciated.   

Love to see the comparison pics you mentioned for the canopy, as I'm not clear what the issue is with the Trumpy part (to be honest, I need to crack a book on the A-3, since I'm not 100% clear on whether the EKA-3B is a bomber or a "version"). 

Sorry, at point of posting I had one left, but as of this morning (UK) it got sold.

I'll cast more this week and have a small batch ready next week.

Afaik, the EKA-3B was a converted tanker which in turn was a converted bomber, so the late bomber canopy would be appropriate... ( correct me if I'm wrong).

J

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 3:50 AM, JeffreyK said:

Sorry, at point of posting I had one left, but as of this morning (UK) it got sold.

I'll cast more this week and have a small batch ready next week.

Just saw that you had some in stock.  Order placed!!

On the fence about ordering the canopy, will look for some online reviews (or if any ARC'rs have purchased one, please chime in) and then make a decision.   Just realized that Eduard has a pretty extensive photo etch set for the interior.  Already got the Steel Beach resin, this could turn out to be a pretty expensive project.....   Just need someone to release some aftermarket decals. 

10 hours ago, 11bee said:

Just saw that you had some in stock.  Order placed!!

On the fence about ordering the canopy, will look for some online reviews (or if any ARC'rs have purchased one, please chime in) and then make a decision.   Just realized that Eduard has a pretty extensive photo etch set for the interior.  Already got the Steel Beach resin, this could turn out to be a pretty expensive project.....   Just need someone to release some aftermarket decals. 

It will probably be on the pricey side, but it will look really impressive when it's all done. You don't see many built up. I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it finally gets done. Kursad at Caracal is hopefully going to release a decal sheet.

10 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

It will probably be on the pricey side, but it will look really impressive when it's all done. You don't see many built up. I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it finally gets done. Kursad at Caracal is hopefully going to release a decal sheet.

I'm ok with spending a few extra dollars, at the rate I build (my last project, a US-2B Tracker took close to 4 years), I'll get my money's worth.    Hey -  any idea if the EKA-3B kit has the parts to build an EA-3B?   I'm starting to get interested in that version (no pun intended).   If not, I'm fine with the EKA, just hope we get some decals by the time I'm done. 

@dnl42 Yes, Tommy's blog is a huge help.   For any with even a remote interest in US Naval Aviation, I strongly suggest they check his blog out. 

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

I'm ok with spending a few extra dollars, at the rate I build (my last project, a US-2B Tracker took close to 4 years), I'll get my money's worth.    Hey -  any idea if the EKA-3B kit has the parts to build an EA-3B?   I'm starting to get interested in that version (no pun intended).   If not, I'm fine with the EKA, just hope we get some decals by the time I'm done. 

@dnl42 Yes, Tommy's blog is a huge help.   For any with even a remote interest in US Naval Aviation, I strongly suggest they check his blog out. 

Unfortunately, you can't build a correct EA-3B from any of the Trumpeter releases. They released an EA-3B, but it was actually an A-3B in the box. The best way to do it is to get the TA-3B and a Steel Beach EA-3B set which gives you the canoe fairing. I'm currently reworking the molds, so they are OOS at the moment. Here's my EA-3B that I did as a Shemya aircraft that was modified to record the trajectory of Soviet ballistic missile firings.

5216396_orig.jpg

492102_orig.jpg

4203851_orig.jpg

45 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Unfortunately, you can't build a correct EA-3B from any of the Trumpeter releases. They released an EA-3B, but it was actually an A-3B in the box. The best way to do it is to get the TA-3B and a Steel Beach EA-3B set which gives you the canoe fairing. I'm currently reworking the molds, so they are OOS at the moment. Here's my EA-3B that I did as a Shemya aircraft that was modified to record the trajectory of Soviet ballistic missile firings.

That's too bad.  I've already got the EKA-3B kit.  Was actually thinking about building "Ranger 12" the EA-3B that crashed after making multiple landing attempts on the Nimitz in 87.  All crew were lost.  This was the catalyst to remove all remaining A-3's from carrier decks.  Oh well.... 

That's a great looking model BTW.

If anyone out there has the TA-3B and wants to trade, PM me.

Darren,

Is there any chance you have a list of what Trumpeter kit and what Steel Beach resin you need to make a particular variant of the Skywarrior?  I know in some cases the best base kit isn't necessarily what you'd expect it to be, like needing the TA-3B kit to do an EA-3B.

Chris

I've thought about a similar project for awhile myself. I'd like to do an EA-3B but this is confusing. It seems to me that the best starting place is the  EA-3B with at least the correct nose and the Steel Beach set with the canoe. Help me figure this out?

Chuck