Hasegawa CL-13 Sabre - RAF Sabre 4 - FINISHED!

Here's another Sabre build for this GB.  When the RAF identified a capability gap in their fighter arsenal in the early 50's, they contracted Canadair to build and supply a number of Sabres for them as a stop-gap measure until they had a home grown fighter that they could replace the Swords with.  430 Sabres, the Sabre 4, were ultimately delivered to the RAF.  Some had hard wings with the fences, a la Sabre 5, and some were retrofitted in the field with slatted '6-3' wings.  This build is an approximation.  I'm building a slatted wing Sabre from 67 Sqn based at Wildenrath, Germany in 1955.

Starting with the "U.S. Air Force" boxing of the Hasegawa Sabre.  It's a F-86F-30, fenced wing.  I've glued a bunch of parts together but no paint yet; rudder pedals glued to IP,  cockpit tub and nose gear bay glued to intake trunk, exhaust nozzle glued together, drop tanks (unfinned) glued together and main wheel halved glued together.

37966799764_f5a2f5c97c_c.jpg

I've also filed off and filled in vents on the fuselage that are not found on Canadair Sabres.

37966798844_01c7aabdea_c.jpg

I've filled in the holes in the top of the wings, where the fences would attach, with glue and stretched sprue and sanded the area smooth.

24812094598_7de0053931_c.jpg

I've also drilled the holes in the lower wings for the drop tank pylons.

37966801724_f5c1a7f9c1_c.jpg

These are the decals.  I'm building the one on the bottom.

24812096318_2bf7397631_c.jpg

37966803874_1e598eb2b4_c.jpg

Tanks for looking.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

The original wings were Mk 4 wings (slatted but not 6-3 wings) and then they were retrofitted with hard edge 6-3 wings (Mk 5 wings with the fence) I don't believe any had slatted 6-3 wings (ie Mk 6 wings) . You can tell them apart in photos by looking at the gun access door, if the wing extends onto the door then Mk 5 6-3 wing (the fence also gives this away) but if not extending onto door, then original Mk 4 wing and not a 6-3 wing......just saying.....

Edited by RCAFFAN

According to ‘The Canadair Sabre in RAF Service’, Sabre XB664(B) was fitted with the 6-3 after delivery.  So you could open up those holes for the wing fences and put them on if you wish.  As RCAFFAN has mentioned, you are slightly confused as to the proper wing status.

Tony

Thank you to not only RCAFFAN but to Snowbird3a for pointing out my error regarding the wings.  I knew that the Mark 4's were basically Mark 2's with some changes that we don't need to go into here.  I also knew that the slatted wings were like those on the Mark 2's and that some were also fitted with the '6-3' fenced wing.  I guess I misinterpreted about wing slats being installed on the '6-3' wings.  Having said that, I can see in the photo of the three aircraft on the decal sheet above that the bottom two have the Mark 2 slatted wing while the top one has the '6-3' fenced wing with the ammo door partially covered by the removable little triangle on the leading edge of the wing at the root.

As far as I'm concerned, close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades, spit fights and atomic bombs is good enough for me.  I could have just built the kit as in the box with a '6-3' fenced wing and used the 112 Sqn 'Shark Mouth' decals but that scheme isn't very appealing to me.  As nobody, that I'm aware of, makes a 48th scale F-86E or Sabre 2, unless you want to do major surgery on the kit wings or graft on a set from an F-86D, the end product of this build wont be an accurate Sabre 4.  When I'm done, and as I said in my introduction, this is an approximation and that's good enough for me.

Thanks for pointing out the oversight gents.

Mike

I thought Tony might chime in here. I went through this when Airfix announced an RAF Mk 4 in 1/72 as I was hoping for a new 1/72 Mk4 or early wing kit but what they released was a Mk 4 with the upgraded hard edged fenced Mk 5 wing. Don't get me wrong as it is a very nice kit but I was hoping for the early wing. Oh well you can't always get what you want......Enjoy your build as only you know what makes you happy.....

Cheers

Bruce

49 minutes ago, RCAFFAN said:

Oh well you can't always get what you want.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.  Every time I fill out one of those "What kit would you like to see manufactured?" surveys, I always ask for an F-86E or Sabre 2 (with the appropriate Canadair vents and the likes) in 32nd and 48th scale.  Nobody ever seems to listen.  :angry:

Mike

Fast work, Mike! Is this the right time to point out that the dimpling on the pilot's harness is not the right gauge... :doh:

I love your artistic licence. And your reasoned, polite responses. I only wish that one day I will match your expertise in building a Sabre.

ALF

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ALF.

I looked at the camo job and was not impressed with my freehand efforts.  I resprayed the green and masked the grey.  A mini vacation to Quebec City and Xmas chores have stalled progress but I have made some.  Since completing the three colour camo, I've masked and sprayed the area around the exhaust opening, the anti-glare panel, gear door inners and the wheel wells.  There is some overspray on the PRU Blue that will need to be addressed.  Once that's done, I'll gloss coat and apply the decals.  Will provide photos when the clear coat is on.

Mike

Photos before sealing gloss coat applied.  Decals are from Eagle Strike, kit stencils and a few extras from CanMilAir.  Some silvering of kits stencils but not much.

24252766187_7a4d036ef7_c.jpg

39113817591_80ff0af662_c.jpg

24252763877_c0c1ec04a2_c.jpg

39113819751_544cb70291_c.jpg

Next photos will be of the completed project.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Nice camo job, Mike. I did a double-take when I saw the strange orientation of the underwing number, then looked up the 3-view drawings for an RAF Sabre. Strange, how they have numbers facing two directions! Kudos to you for getting it right.

ALF

Thanks ALF.  I saw that orientation on the instruction sheet and did a double take and some extra research myself.

She's finished.  I know it's not a true Sabre 4 but it's a close representation and that's good enough for me.

24279223937_76a9263b17_c.jpg

24279221917_f510e59dcc_c.jpg

24279220727_c286cfe11c_c.jpg

38257183855_aede80d003_c.jpg

38257181945_ae25c61630_c.jpg

24279222457_80ea19a190_c.jpg

24279219277_6448e8f29c_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike