Operation Gothic Serpent Aircraft references

12 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Super 61- Lightning bolt-yellow, grey lettering

Super 63-Grey    

Super 65-OD 

Super 66-OD  

Super 67 is Texas Express. 

Super 68-OD

65, 66 and 68 were in a tan/yellow lettering not OD.

Here's a pic of 66 again. I think it's more toward the tan/yellow side.

24988336638_e2b67e75d4_z.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
2 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Super 61- Lightning bolt-yellow, grey lettering

Super 63-Grey    

Super 65-OD 

Super 66-OD  

Super 67 is Texas Express. 

Super 68-OD

Floyd, 

Do you have the tail # for Super 67 "Texas Express" as well?  Maybe a good pic of the artwork too?

Edited by HeavyArty

5 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

I have a tentative tail # for Texas Express.

It's 84-23924.

I'm waiting for a confirmation on it. 

I'm also trying really hard to find that close up pic of the helo in my collection.

I have a tentative drawing of the artwork that was passed to me when we were doing the decal sheet.  I can't swear to its accuracy but it was better than what we had before, which was nothing.

2 hours ago, JakubJakepilot said:

OK gents, got a little time and created a table with probably all known info on Blackhawks from GS. Here it is, please, comments/updates/info is more than welcome !! Where there is a blank space in the table, it needs info. Hope you like it ;-)

MH-60A/L Gothic Serpent

Looks good.  I believe it was only D Company that had the lower fairings removed.  Also you are missing Texas Express and Black Widow

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
12 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Jakob, all helos had crew chief seats installed. 

Hmm, strange, HeavyArty from the other forum wrote " Most, if not all were withoug the gunners seats.  They used 40mm ammo cans to sit on.  It gave them more room in the cabin for extra troopers and gear. " - so this is incorrect ?

16 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I have a tentative drawing of the artwork that was passed to me when we were doing the decal sheet.  I can't swear to its accuracy but it was better than what we had before, which was nothing.

Looks good.  I believe it was only D Company that had the lower fairings removed.  Also you are missing Texas Express and Black Widow

Floyd

Do we have a serial numbers for that Texas Express and Black Widow ?

Also, there is an info that plume detectors were not installed and AN/APR-39s were installed. Are they same ? Different ? Do we have a picture of both of them ? Enclosed is a picture of MH-60L DAP I guess with the sensors, can anyone confirm that ?

Thanks !!

5a31.jpg

Edited by JakubJakepilot
update

The small circles are the APR-39 sensors. The oval circles are the plume detectors. Gothic Serpent birds did not have the plume detectors. According to my crew chief source, all the crew chief seats were installed. When they flew in a DAP configuration (which was for currency only)  they turned the crew chief seats to face forward. The tail #'s for Black Widow and Texas Express are in my thread I started. 

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
2 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

The small circles are the APR-39 sensors. The oval circles are the plume detectors. Gothic Serpent birds did not have the plume detectors. According to my crew chief source, all the crew chief seats were installed. When they flew in a DAP configuration (which was for currency only)  they turned the crew chief to face forward. The tail #'s for Black Widow and Texas Express are in my thread I started. 

Tim

Great, thanks for clarification. Table updated. One small question though: I can not find 84-23882 Black Widow, this airframe probably does not exist, but 83-23882 exists. So maybe a typo ?

EDIT: same with 84-23924 - looks like it should be 83-23924 ? another typo ?

Edited by JakubJakepilot
1 hour ago, hawkwrench said:

Probably my fat fingers, but I'll check to make sure, but it's supposed to be 83-23882, not 84. Where are you looking to find the tail #s?

Tim

I am usually checking those two websites - http://www.scramble.nl/ and http://www.joebaugher.com/

They helped me a lot in the past ..

All of the MH-60's deployed to Mogadishu carried the life rafts on board in between the crew chief's seats except Super 63. The C2 console was installed in between the 2 crew chief's seats. Here's a pic of the life raft on board a MH-60:

38898511201_497140aa5c_c.jpg

The lift rafts were big orange bags with off white carry handles. Down the middle was the zipper. When you unzipped it, you activated the air bottle which filled the raft full of air.

They were stored lengthwise in between the crew chief seats when flying over water or operating near water environments. At the end of the flights, they were turned back in to the ALSE shop. (Aviation Life Support Equipment)

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
11 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

All of the MH-60's deployed to Mogadishu carried the life rafts on board in between the crew chief's seats except Super 63. The C2 console was installed in between the 2 crew chief's seats. Here's a pic of the life raft on board a MH-60:

38898511201_497140aa5c_c.jpg

The lift rafts were big orange bags with off white carry handles. Down the middle was the zipper. When you unzipped it, you activated the air bottle which filled the raft full of air.

They were stored lengthwise in between the crew chief seats when flying over water or operating near water environments. At the end of the flights, they were turned back in to the ALSE shop. (Aviation Life Support Equipment)

Tim

Thanks for all the info, I updated my table. Hope you dont mind using your text on my page, just to get all info on one page ;-)

On 9. 12. 2017 at 3:55 PM, 11bee said:

Not sure if you guys have seen this site - I just stumbled upon it.   Pretty good source of OGS pictures.   Mostly geared towards the operators / rangers and their gear but also has some decent shots of some of the helos. 

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/270465-operation-gothic-serpent-black-hawk-down/

Great site !!! Thanks a lot for the link.

One more question - cocpit FS 37038 Black and main cabin FS 36375 Light Compass Ghost Grey ? Thx .

EDIT: What about FRIES system ? On all birds ? even on the C2 bird ?

Edited by JakubJakepilot