Operation Gothic Serpent Aircraft references

That was for personnel operating the C2 console. Harrell and Matthews were sitting there. There was still room for the CE's to get out, albeit cramped between the seats and the ammo can and feed belt. I wish I could release the pic of the C2 interior, but I told the crew chief it would remain private. 

Sorry, just trust me on this!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
9 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

When I get the kit I’ll have to look what’s involved in hanging the two seats sideways instead of facing the rear.

The standard way the gunners' seats face (and in the KH kit) is outboard out the gunner's windows, as it is depicted in Tim's picture.  You won't have to change anything.

Edited by HeavyArty
58 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

The standard way the gunners' seats face (and in the KH kit) is outboard out the gunner's windows, as it is depicted in Tim's picture.  You won't have to change anything.

The KH kit instructions shown here (Step 1, bottom of page 4) seem to show them facing to the rear.

http://www.moxing.net/2019/0403/9852_8.html

You're right, it does.  I hadn't seen that.

They should be easy to turn 90 degrees by filling the holes and drilling new ones. 

202046p02y2bb2s2sy0idp.jpg

Usually, there is an "H" bar there that the gunners' seats attach to, as in the Academy kit (part D5, step 3). Hmm, Kitty Hawk doesn't have this.

10113078z2.jpg

With the seats attached below.

10113078z3.jpg

You can see the "H" bar in this pic.

28.jpg

Even with the seats turned rearward, there should be bars on the ceiling to attach them to.  These look to be another detail to add.

32_rear_crew_compartment_3.JPG

Edited by HeavyArty
1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

You're right, it does.  I hadn't seen that.

They should be easy to turn 90 degrees by filling the holes and drilling new ones. 

202046p02y2bb2s2sy0idp.jpg

Usually, there is an "H" bar there that the gunners' seats attach to, as in the Academy kit (part D5, step 3). Hmm, Kitty Hawk doesn't have this.

10113078z2.jpg

With the seats attached below.

10113078z3.jpg

You can see the "H" bar in this pic.

28.jpg

Even with the seats turned rearward, there should be bars on the ceiling to attach them to.  These look to be another detail to add.

32_rear_crew_compartment_3.JPG

Yep, saw that too.  Thinking of using the Academy part as a pattern to build the H structure out of styrene rod, and the Eduard interior sets for the Academy kit have the clips that attach the rods to the cabin roof.

Hawk said that they were "Huey seats". I take that to mean that they were using the jump seats from the UH-1. These jump seats are different than the standard Blackhawk seats and do not have a ceiling attachment point. They are also not crashworthy. There is a four-man bench seat that is also available but I can't find an online picture of it.

PICT1898.jpg

21 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Did they all carry the extra fuel tank in front of the rear cabin bulkhead?

No, only Super 63, the Command and Control (C&C) aircraft, did so they would have a longer loiter time.

For more Op Gothic Serpent-specific info, check out this thread:  http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=216895&page=1

Edited by HeavyArty
6 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

What's up with that toolbox?

He was doing some maintenance on the bird that day.  If you look close, you'll see the transmission drip pan access covers dangling so he could pull some inspections. 

In front of the aux tank is a black box that stores some additional C2 equipment.  It was kept in the aircraft while flying. 

All the Somalia MH-60's had the old style transmission drip pans.

Tim

Tom

Edited by hawkwrench
17 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Did they all carry the extra fuel tank in front of the rear cabin bulkhead?

Hi, I did this table to sort out all the bits and pieces, all info taken from this thread and pics:

http://212.158.133.54/_other/mh-60_gothic_serpent.html

also did a table for AH/MH-6s

http://212.158.133.54/_other/mh-6_gothic_serpent.html

Regards

Jakub

• 4 weeks later...

I've been collecting images of Super 62, 83-23882 Black Widow for a project. There are some photos of it with the RPG damage about to be sent back to be repaired . Clearly many things have been removed for that purpose and I have been trying to figure out the configuration from that day. I know it had the miniguns on board, does anyone know if the FLIR or radar was on it?

Thanks for any help.

5 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

I've been collecting images of Super 62, 83-23882 Black Widow for a project. There are some photos of it with the RPG damage about to be sent back to be repaired . Clearly many things have been removed for that purpose and I have been trying to figure out the configuration from that day. I know it had the miniguns on board, does anyone know if the FLIR or radar was on it?

Thanks for any help.

Look here:  http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=216895&page=1  All the info you could want on Op Gothic Serpent Black Hawks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate or provide a reference of the starboard wall section in this image? I'm finding it hard to get an unobstructed view of it in photos, and not really sure what it actually is. I've seen a twisted phone-like cable dangling from in that area in some images, so guessing it may be an intercom of some kind? I'd like to add some more detail and get the colour at least sort of right! 🙂

Thanks for any help!

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg.6dc9f6742d5b3b60cb6750eeed522f52.jpg

That is the control panel for the external hoist.  The twisted cable goes to a hand-held joystick that the operator can hold to control the hoist while hanging/kneeling out the door for a better view. 

15.jpghh-60g_03_of_51.jpg

23 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

That is the control panel for the external hoist.  The twisted cable goes to a hand-held joystick that the operator can hold to control the hoist while hanging/kneeling out the door for a better view. 

15.jpghh-60g_03_of_51.jpg

Exactly what I needed. Thank you very much! It's nice to finally know what it actually is.

Would the OGS helos which didn't have the hoist installed have removed the joystick or just keep it?

The OGS helos did not use the panel. The hoist control pendant was plugged into the top of the bulkhead.

You can also see the early style FRIES release  

received_10211440604631300-1_zpsztdic9tw

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench