Operation Gothic Serpent Aircraft references

I just spoke with a OGS crew chief who was crewing an assault bird on the 3rd and he said that the life rafts were NOT inside the cabin.

They were inside for over water missions, but not while flying around Mogadishu. 

Tim

On 5/22/2019 at 1:32 AM, hawkwrench said:

I just spoke with a OGS crew chief who was crewing an assault bird on the 3rd and he said that the life rafts were NOT inside the cabin.

They were inside for over water missions, but not while flying around Mogadishu. 

Tim

One less thing to add, thanks for checking that out.

I've corrected the inside cabin description and deleted the life raft comment on page 1. 

( Super 64 had the raft. My source said he sat on it while training with Bill Cleveland and Tommy Fields.)

Tim

On 4/8/2019 at 5:28 PM, Dave Williams said:

Yep, saw that too.  Thinking of using the Academy part as a pattern to build the H structure out of styrene rod, and the Eduard interior sets for the Academy kit have the clips that attach the rods to the cabin roof.

I would advise against using any of the Academy parts as a reference point. Academy's H-bar should look like a lower case h, hence the name, but instead they made it look like a Y-bar.

Not strictly OGS-related questions, but... in this image of Live Resin's M-134, is the smaller box the gun's power unit? And where would it usually be placed? I was thinking directly behind the pilot seats.

246286-10067-66-pristine.jpg

Also, are there any clear images of the harnesses on the cabin seats? Most images have them tucked into the pocket or are difficult to see. The Kitty Hawk instructions are a bit weird and blurry about the 2 lower belts, they don't seem to attach to anything in particular.

Thanks!

The smaller box is called a SLAB battery.  It's the power source for the minigun. On MH-60's there is no battery though. The gun gets its power from the aircraft electrical system. The power cords are connected into a junction box. 

Depending on what type helo you are modeling,  the junction box is in a different location.

In the OGS birds, the junction box is mounted behind both pilots seats.

The gray box is the minigun junction box 

FB_IMG_1514856115355_zpspqlgffll.jpg

Hope this helps

Tim

^^ saw it too and was surprised, it can be a pretty annoying website as one of its writers, Tyler Rogoway writes articles that are anti military with a political agenda instead of writing about technology, the writer of this article is their better one, pretty cool to see there are interested in the same things we are

On 5/24/2019 at 11:44 PM, DarkKnight said:

^^ saw it too and was surprised, it can be a pretty annoying website as one of its writers, Tyler Rogoway writes articles that are anti military with a political agenda instead of writing about technology, the writer of this article is their better one, pretty cool to see there are interested in the same things we are

In this day and age, finding anything online or in the traditional media that doesn't have a political angle is impossible (unless you stick to Dora the Explorer cartoons).   The Drive does some solid reporting, especially when you get into US "black" aerospace programs / units.    I do find it amusing that some of their articles (including the one about that Seaspray MD500) were heavily based on info posted here on ARC.  

Edited by 11bee
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know Floyd posted the first video clip earlier in this thread but I thought I would add the second one here as it does have footage of the OH-58's, AH-1's, Little Birds and Blackhawks flying around. I've been watching and listening some videos and interviews lately and I'm finding out (at least for me) that the Cobras were actually used quite extensively on October 3rd and 4th doing gun runs while supporting the guys on the ground. Wish we had more stuff on them.

***WARNING*** There are graphic images in this and may not be suitable for some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFFT7Wd2iuc

Edited by Whiskey
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Building the MH-60L kit..(Wolcott's ) Can anyone shine any info on interior colors or info of the cargo area. I know the flight area is black, cargo is gray, but I read that the floors had armor blanket/panels?...if so what color would they be. How about they cargo ceiling, was it covered or open like the kit. Also info says no cargo hooks, in place was a 3in tube with rings, anyone have pics or something what it would look like. Thanks...in advance.

6 hours ago, Helo_Dud said:

Building the MH-60L kit..(Wolcott's ) Can anyone shine any info on interior colors or info of the cargo area. I know the flight area is black, cargo is gray, but I read that the floors had armor blanket/panels?...if so what color would they be. How about they cargo ceiling, was it covered or open like the kit. Also info says no cargo hooks, in place was a 3in tube with rings, anyone have pics or something what it would look like. Thanks...in advance.

If you can hold off just a little bit longer,  you're patience will be rewarded.  Trust me!

Tim

LOL...ok. How much should I hold off, I'm working on it now but will hold off with most of the assembly. Does the info coming out will help with the colors or new reference and when will this new come out.

thanks,

Joe