Operation Gothic Serpent Aircraft references

• 1 month later...

Here is a podcast of a recent discussion on an Irish radio channel that examines the "Gothic Serpent" operation. The discussion includes a contribution from Dan Schilling who was on the ground on October 3rd. Nothing new for the most part with regard to aircraft but he does mention that four members of Seal Team 6 were added to the roster and that they were involved in the events of October 3rd and also "did other things". Some of the later part of this documentary wanders into a debate on U.S. foreign policy and other political stuff but it's worth a listen if you have a spare 50 minutes.

https://www.newstalk.com/search/mogadishu

LD.  

• 1 month later...

Just seen your post LD. Thanks for the update.

Probably nothing that some of you guys don't already know but the Seals were originally two Sniper Teams that were in the city doing over watch and Intel gathering with the CIA. 

Howard Wasdin covers it in his book SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper.

They were integrated into the mission after their operating base was discovered and due to be attacked. Seems like they spent their time mixing with the Airforce combat controllers and PJ's. They were in the Ground Force Convoy driving a Cutvee (modified HMMWV). All of them are known now but not sure it is the done thing to post their names here.

Jay. 

HeavyArty. The CutVee was the name the SEALs gave to the modified HMMWV they had. It was a M998 Troop/Cargo type. He quotes "we stepped out of our “cutvee”—a cut Humvee without a top, doors, or windows, officially called the M-998 cargo/troop carrier".

I also have a found few pics of it parked at the hanger.

Took a while to find it and unfortunately not the best quality or size. As you can see the middle vehicle is the SEAL CutVee. They did it so they would have a 360 degree shooting platform but no one foresaw the hell they would end up driving through.

HMMVE Line Up 2.jpg

Edited by 7165jay07
Added Picture.
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 7165jay07 said:

Does anyone know what Super Six had this installed? Iv'e had this image for a while but can't seem to find the story behind it. I do remember it was done to give the Delta Snipers a more stable shooting platform.

Thanks, Jay

IMG_0781.JPG

Holy crap!!!  Now that would make for an interesting mod to an MH-60.  Talk about a crude setup!    I did wonder how snipers stabilized their weapons while airborne.  

It also gives some new light on all that "the M82 Barret 0.50cal is only an anti-material rifle"-BS - don't know of much material that would justify as a target in Somalia during that time... 😉

HAJO

40 minutes ago, 7165jay07 said:

My understanding is that it was set up for part of the vehicle interdiction mission template but don't quote me on that 😉.

That makes sense for using a Barrett.  

I do like the crashworthy park bench seating quite a bit. Cost-effective and yet quite classy.    

8 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

It also gives some new light on all that "the M82 Barret 0.50cal is only an anti-material rifle"-BS - don't know of much material that would justify as a target in Somalia during that time... 😉

HAJO

I've fired a few rounds from a Barrett over the years plus I had many of my troopers qualified as Squad Designated Marksmen and although I was but a wee lad during our '93 adventures in Somalia, I can tell you there were probably plenty of targets worthy of a .50 cal round from an expert trigger puller.

5 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Whiskey, "hard" targets or "soft" targets?

HAJO

Both. Just because one might be a "soft target" as you put it, doesn't necessarily devoid it of being unworthy of a .50 round.

The Barrett allows you to engage targets (hard and soft) beyond the range of regular sniping systems and also allows you to engage targets that are protected behind vehicles, walls, etc.   For those reasons (and for the vehicle interdiction role mentioned above), it’s a very useful weapon.  

Yeah, I haven´t made myself fully clear. Of course there were "worty" targets in Somalia, but not necessarily "hard" ones. I always wonder why the Barret is called "Anti-Material Rifle", because it implies you´d only shoot on vehicles, equipment, etc. with it. I don´t think any sniper using it would switch so lighter stuff just because of the official designation...

HAJO

1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

Yeah, I haven´t made myself fully clear. Of course there were "worty" targets in Somalia, but not necessarily "hard" ones. I always wonder why the Barret is called "Anti-Material Rifle", because it implies you´d only shoot on vehicles, equipment, etc. with it. I don´t think any sniper using it would switch so lighter stuff just because of the official designation...

HAJO

I don’t believe the military recognizes “hard” or “soft” targets.    You kill the target with whatever system you have access to.   No idea where that designation for the Barrett came from but it’s meaningless.   

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 7:06 PM, 11bee said:

Holy crap!!!  Now that would make for an interesting mod to an MH-60.  Talk about a crude setup!    I did wonder how snipers stabilized their weapons while airborne.  

With all this extra time on my hands I have researched deeper into this picture and I think I may have found the answer if its of interest to anyone.

I believe it is one of the 10th Mountain BlackHawks that was being used as a Sniper / Overwatch Platform. A number of books and interviews reference that there were Navy SEAL's providing Sniper support for operations being carried out prior to Oct 3/4. Looking at the picture carefully it looks like the guy on the right has a 10th Mountain patch on his left shoulder.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 1:06 PM, 11bee said:

The paracord is how they stabilize the weapon.  It is the most common way to do it, at least from the "super sniper dudes" I've talked to.  I am not a super sniper dude, so, I rely on what they tell me.  

I'd guess that, from that steep angle of the wood and rifle (while not in flight), they were way above the target, or in a decent orbit.

• 1 month later...

Found the below in a book called The Aircraft-Spotter's Film and Television Companion by Simon D. Beck:  https://books.google.com/books?id=Nh6TDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA41&lpg=PA41&dq=mh-60s+filming+Black+hawk+down&source=bl&ots=bZKtDhRrdy&sig=ACfU3U0S2RatZCz1XRX9WrHQsxu1rSnpUQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjoJrx9I3qAhVsU98KHTgUCigQ6AEwEXoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=mh-60s filming Black hawk down&f=false

..two of the Black Hawks supplied for filming - MH-60L (s/n 91-26365) ... and MH-60L (s/n 91-26350) ... both are 160th SOAR serving helicopters.

Edited by HeavyArty
45 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Found the below in a book called The Aircraft-Spotter's Film and Television Companion by Simon D. Beck:  https://books.google.com/books?id=Nh6TDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA41&lpg=PA41&dq=mh-60s+filming+Black+hawk+down&source=bl&ots=bZKtDhRrdy&sig=ACfU3U0S2RatZCz1XRX9WrHQsxu1rSnpUQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjoJrx9I3qAhVsU98KHTgUCigQ6AEwEXoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=mh-60s filming Black hawk down&f=false

..two of the Black Hawks supplied for filming - MH-60L (s/n 91-26365) ... and MH-60L (s/n 91-26350) ... both are 160th SOAR serving helicopters.

Good find .... apparently the four MH-60L arrived named as Night Stalker, Black Scorpion, Armageddon and Gladiator. Armageddon and Gladiator being movies by Jerry Bruckheimer and Ridley Scott.

Thanks for the info

Edited by shuck