Operation Gothic Serpent Aircraft references

This might be nothing but the jeep and trailer in this photo look "odd". It looks like it has the batwing antenna and various other blade antennae fixed to the roof. Does anyone have any idea about what make and model of vehicle this is, what unit might be operating it and what its role was? It has the look of something "special" and with those antennae on the roof, it might be connected with the air mission in Somalia. Thanks for any info.

LD.

post-153751-0-80659400-1524903029_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure the Jeep was long gone from big Army by this time.  The Rangers has some unique rides, assume this belonged to one of the “special” units.    

BTW, what’s on the horizontal stab of that LB in the foreground?   Looks like a couple of pods on the back edge.   

14 hours ago, 11bee said:

BTW, what’s on the horizontal stab of that LB in the foreground?   Looks like a couple of pods on the back edge.   

I think the two items on the horizontal stab are two protective pads of some kind to protect the tail when loaded on an aircraft for transport. 

I didn't realize the FAV in the Somalia photo was a member of the MUTT family. I thought they'd have been long retired by 1993. Thanks for the info.

LD. 

• 2 months later...

Wow, what a wealth of information on this subject! Wish I had found this earlier when I started my project. I'm making a 1/6 scale diorama on the subject, featuring an animated Task Force Ranger hero figure. All of you with sharp eyes will notice the Huey imposter faking as a crashed UH60. I will be adding damage details later so it won't be recognizable:) I also started a build thread here: 

Pat Leong

Edited by Patrick Leong
  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Watr84 said:

I have yet to find, other than one picture, if all aircraft involved in OGS had hand holds on the stabilators. 

AFAIK, all the squared folding stabilators have the squared notches (not sure if they are handholds) on them.

Tim

13 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

AFAIK, all the squared folding stabilators have the squared notches (not sure if they are handholds) on them.

That is correct, they all do.  All the Op Gothic Serpent helos were either MH-60As or MH-60Ls and all had the square, folding stabilators.

Generically, any Multi-Mission (MH) version of S-70 Hawk has the folding stab.  You can use any MH/HH-60G, MH-60L, or MH-60S to get the folding stab.  With any of the other Naval versions (SH-60B/F, HH-60H, MH-60R) you will bet the folding stab, but the fuselage is wrong.

If you are talking about Kitty Hawk's 1/35 models, then the MH-60L kit is the one you want.  It is a 160th SOAR helo out of the box.  To make it an Op Gothic Serpent helo, you have to change up some things on it. 

Here is my Op Gothic Serpent MH-60A "Heavy Metal" build using the KH MH-60L:  

Edited by HeavyArty
On 9/10/2019 at 12:15 PM, Cobrahistorian said:

Just for giggles, here’s Super 68 (90-26288) as she currently sits in the US Army Aviation Museum.  

I may have some shots of 10th Mountain Cobras too.  Will see what I can find. 

52E1425B-06AC-44B6-ABE9-488AF246CBEA.jpeg

Did they use these kind of front windows back in Somalia? or the ones with frames on them? KH has both options and instructions say should be the same as in the picture, but watching pictures of that time, one can see the frames.

Thnx

8 minutes ago, kike said:

Did they use these kind of front windows back in Somalia? or the ones with frames on them? KH has both options and instructions say should be the same as in the picture, but watching pictures of that time, one can see the frames.

Thnx

They used the ones with the small sliding window often called the dairy queen window on all the Somalia MH-60L's.

Tim

19 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

They used the ones with the small sliding window often called the dairy queen window on all the Somalia MH-60L's.

Tim

Thnx Tim! I'm going with those then

22 hours ago, Watr84 said:

Is Super 68 at the Ft. Rucker museum???

Yes, but it is in a later configuration than it was in Somalia in '93.  It is as it was when it last flew operationally in A'stan in 2012.

Super 68 at the Army Aviation Museum:  http://www.armyaviationmuseum.org/super-68/

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Fantastic thread, thank you very much everyone for the information, however, I miss knowing which models can be used.

Using Scalemates filters -> https://www.scalemates.com/es/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=mh-60&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"&fkCATNAME[]="Helicopters"&fkTYPEGROUP[]="Sikorsky S-70"

Could this Italeri reference be used by modifying it to an MH-60L?

Boxart MH-60K Blackhawk SOA 2666 Italeri

Edited by McFly
1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

Not really, the K model had a different nose radar/FLIR mount and other sensors not present on the MH-60L.

This kit includes all the parts needed for an MH-60L.

Thanks a lot.

17 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Not really, the K model had a different nose radar/FLIR mount and other sensors not present on the MH-60L.

This kit includes all the parts needed for an MH-60L.

UH-60/MH-60 Black Hawk "Night Raid" Helicopter Italeri #2706 1/48 Scale New Model Kit - Shore Line Hobby

Newer boxings of the Kilo kit amusingly no longer have the K nose, but still have the L radar nose.  I need to look back in mine to confirm but I think a FLIR might still need to be sourced.  Miniguns and the mounts definitely will.

19 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

Newer boxings of the Kilo kit amusingly no longer have the K nose, but still have the L radar nose.  I need to look back in mine to confirm but I think a FLIR might still need to be sourced.  Miniguns and the mounts definitely will.

...in this kit:

imagen.png.f341ba0ae161236553ff2274e36a6929.png

• 1 month later...