Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 6/29)

Disaster!  Ok, maybe not a disaster, but something I need to try to recover from.  I laid down some primer on the interior and decided to try the Badger Stynylrez after reading some great reviews on it.  This stuff comes off the plastic with almost normal handling.  I cleaned the plastic with soapy water and a brush before I started this build, so I am fairly confident release agents are not the cause.  I usually use Mr Surfacer 1500, but it was black and I thought going with the gray primer on the interior would make things a little easier if/when I painted the interior.  I will need to do so, since the gray is a little too dark for my liking, but now I don't think it is gonna stick very well, since the primer is not even sticking.  Will putting another coat of a different primer down work?  My guess is no, since the initial coat is not sticking, therefore the coat on top of that will not stick.  If anyone has any ideas at all, please contribute.  I was thinking about soaking it in IPA or WIndex to remove the primer (acrylic), but I have lots of PE attached, much of it with Gator's Grip Glue, making me afraid that it may dissolve and all the PE comes up.  

Thats pretty weird, i have used the mr surfacer 1500 for a long time and the thing sticks like a rock. Have you cleaned up the surface first? It could have some oil that does not let the surfacer stick in.

The black surfacer would look great as a primer to create shadow and color blending before you apply the Dark Gull Gray.

Rod.

Just now, salvador001 said:

Thats pretty weird, i have used the mr surfacer 1500 for a long time and the thing sticks like a rock. Have you cleaned up the surface first? It could have some oil that does not let the surfacer stick in.

The black surfacer would look great as a primer to create shadow and color blending before you apply the Dark Gull Gray.

Rod.

Sorry Rod.  I explained that wrong.  I did not use the Mr. Surfacer first.  I used the Stynylrez first and it is coming off with almost normal handling.  I don't know why I did not go with my tried and true Mr Surfacer 1500.  Now I am afraid everything that goes on over the Stynylrez will come off with just normal handling while completing the assembly of the interior.

• 1 month later...
RVN 0046

Thos is a closeup of Dad's helicopter. I need your opinions.  It appears to me in this picture that everything on the top of the transmission (swashplate?) Is painted the same color as the helicopter.  Do you agree?  

56 minutes ago, JesusNut said:

RVN 0046

Thos is a closeup of Dad's helicopter. I need your opinions.  It appears to me in this picture that everything on the top of the transmission (swashplate?) Is painted the same color as the helicopter.  Do you agree?  

Looks like black to me,, but just to me,, a weathered black...

14 minutes ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

Looks like black to me,, but just to me,, a weathered black...

I can see what you are saying.  I was thinking it matched the green on the cowling in the foreground, but I cannot disagree with your assessment.  Thanks Charlie!

Getting close to getting the interior done.  Here are the latest WIP pictures.  The pilots' seats are not attached yet.  I still need to clear coat and weather everything, then install the seatbelts.  If you recall from an earlier post, the crew chief's seat has been removed and a scratch-built foot locker was installed.   The pilot's seat was painted FS34087 with Tamiya XF62 and the cargo area seats were painted FS34127 with Vallejo Model Color 70.924.  The interior gray is FS36231 with a mix of Tamiya paints.  

IMG_1820

IMG_1821

IMG_1822

IMG_1823

IMG_1824

IMG_1825IMG_1826

IMG_1827

• JesusNut changed the title to Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 1/18)
18 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Probably black.

Floyd

Thanks Floyd!  I will come up with a plan to try to replicate it.  But I think we can all agree that it is not the typical gray we see on other aircraft of the period.

22 minutes ago, JesusNut said:

Getting close to getting the interior done.  Here are the latest WIP pictures.  The pilots' seats are not attached yet.  I still need to clear coat and weather everything, then install the seatbelts.  If you recall from an earlier post, the crew chief's seat has been removed and a scratch-built foot locker was installed.   The pilot's seat was painted FS34087 with Tamiya XF62 and the cargo area seats were painted FS34127 with Vallejo Model Color 70.924.  The interior gray is FS36231 with a mix of Tamiya paints.  

IMG_1820

IMG_1821

IMG_1822

IMG_1823

IMG_1824

IMG_1825IMG_1826

IMG_1827

that pit is just perfect!!!

11 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Looks great.  The 'bellows' under the instrument panel could use either orange or black.  It is a flexible tube.  I've seen both colors.  The whole thing looks awesome.  The Eduard instrument panel looks good too.

Floyd

Thanls Floyd!  I will take another look at my reference photos.  I thought I saw they were gray on this aircraft, so my plan was to just dirty them up.  I agree on the Eduard panel.  My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is that the gray does not really match the dark gull gray I painted the rest of the interior.  I am hoping that a wash will tone the brightness down some.

Edited by JesusNut
5 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Thanks Charlie! Still have a lot of work to do on it, but it's getting there.

looking at the picture on your signature, did your dads copter had white front glass frame? like it was repair or something my friend?

8 hours ago, JesusNut said:

RVN 0046

Actually, Tom, it is neither OD nor black, but unpainted metal.  I would suggest using oily steel to get the closest approximation.  Here you can see the swash plate and trunions on this UH-1B I photographed which was the same color.

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by rotorwash
50 minutes ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

looking at the picture on your signature, did your dads copter had white front glass frame? like it was repair or something my friend?

Charlie, I think it is bare aluminum.  As you said, I think it may have been a repair in theater and I believe it was due to be painted shortly after this picture was taken.  Dad said the whole helicopter was repainted at some point in his tour.  I have also heard a couple members of the 195th call this aircraft the old war horse.  Dad was happy to be assigned this aircraft, as he said it had one of the stronger engines in the unit, in his opinion. Also, if you zoom in close enough, chin bubble looks like it has 100 mph tape at the top of it.  I'm not sure how I'm going to replicate that! 

28 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Actually, Tom, it is neither OD nor black, but unpainted metal.  I would suggest using oily steel to get the closest approximation.  Here you can see the swash plate and trunions on this UH-1B I photographed which was the same color.

28 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Great job on the interior, by the way!

Ray

Thanks Ray! That makes perfect sense.  Although I am a little surprised that it would remain unpainted, just because I remember the old military adage of "if it moves, grease it, and if it doesn't, paint it!"  If I understand the rotor system, isn't this stationary, or rather, does not spin.  I guess stationary is the wrong term as it does tilt.

19 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

Looking great.

Thank you midnightprowler!

Edited by JesusNut
7 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

Really nice job on the interior so far. Now I know what color to use on my Huey seats for my MH-60L C2 build!

Tim

Thanks Tim.  I tried a few different colors on some of the extra seat parts I had in the kit and this was the best I could come up with.  I think they turned out ok.  I got the original idea from one of the builds I saw on the web, but I am not sure which one.  The two I have looked at most is Floyd's reviews and here.  

I am still learning this photography thing, so please bear with me as I post some repeats of the earlier photos.  I played around and edited some of them, just using Google Pictures editing app and I thought I was able to take some of that washed out look out of them.  These are the same pictures as above, just cropped and edited.  I think they look better, but I am far from understanding all this stuff.  These were edited from the raw photos as opposed to the .jpg file.  I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.  

IMG_1820.CR2

IMG_1821.CR2

IMG_1822.CR2

IMG_1824.CR2

IMG_1825.CR2

IMG_1827.CR2

5 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

Try to give the photo HDR is under tools on the right side below ,, pictures turn out a bit better..

can you believe that I am a photographer and still dont get to shoot great pictures of my models,,, hahahahah :crying:

Charlie, please excuse my ignorance, but what is HDR? I don't even know what it is that I don't know.  And where do I find it?  

• JesusNut changed the title to Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 6/29)