Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 6/29)

15 hours ago, Tank said:

Weathering is very subjective and unfortunately photos and viewing devices can and will distort or miss the effects. In general less is more. 

Oliver laid a very nice SBS on weathering. 

Another option, I like to use Is spray XF16, hairspray, XF12:XF2 mix. Add a little water and brush away where it's to be worn. Add oils afterwards. If I ever get around to build my Huey kit, this is what I will doing.

Thanks for the link Tank.  That was a great tutorial on using hairspray.  I played around with it some on a paint mule about a year ago, but I was a little too heavy handed with the water and chipping.  It looked ok, but I could definitely improve my technique.

1 hour ago, JesusNut said:

Great info Oliver.  Thank you for the step-by-step process as it really broke it down for me to understand it a little bit better.  Now to put this into practice and really get an understanding.  I have noticed in your builds and in the tutorial above, you do not seem to actually assemble much before applying at least the base coat and the steps above.  Does this create any problems with assembly later?  And what kind of glue to you use to assemble painted pieces?  When I came back to the hobby, I picked up Tamiya Extra Thin and it works well, but I have also noticed that if I assemble painted pieces, it is a little too hot and affects the paint.  

Hi

The constant quest about paint before assembly or the other way around. I usually try to paint as much as I can before assembly. I do use Tamiya thin as well and super glue whenever I can.

Just sprayed Alclad for the first time and this stuff is amazing!  Prepped with Tamiya gloss black, then the Alclad the next day.  Painted the deck of the engine compartment and the tranny compartment stainless steel.

20180422_080643

20180422_080634

Got in a great day at the bench today.  Engine, transmission and compartments are assembled and painted.  Still need to weather everything.  Test fitted the parts into the fuselage.

20180422_181034

20180422_181009

20180422_180953

20180422_180945

20180422_180934

20180422_180927

2018-04-22_07-27-09

In this last picture, the swash plate looks way too low to me.  I set the transmission deck 5 mm down from the top of the interior bulkheads as seen in other builds.  Does this look off to anyone else?

• JesusNut changed the title to Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 4/22)

Looking good, Tom!  I agree the swash plate looks a bit low.  Is the top of the transmission mount or the bottom of the mount 5mm from the top of the interior bulkheads?  I believe it should be the bottom o the plate that is 5mm from the top of the bulkhead.  I am so annoyed they didn't fix this issue in the kit.

Ray

15 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Looking good, Tom!  I agree the swash plate looks a bit low.  Is the top of the transmission mount or the bottom of the mount 5mm from the top of the interior bulkheads?  I believe it should be the bottom o the plate that is 5mm from the top of the bulkhead.  I am so annoyed they didn't fix this issue in the kit.

Ray

I did 5 mm to the top of the plate.  But I think it would still be too low even if I had done it the other way.  Every picture I have ever seen the swash plate is well above the the top of the cowling.  I'm going to fix it somehow, just not quite sure how yet.  It is all glued in and painted, but I have realized you cannot see the tranny compartment when it is all together.  I'll come up with something.

9 hours ago, Rotorman said:

good looking engine painting.

Thanks Oliver.  I did not spend a crazy amount of time filling and sanding and painting, as everything will be closed up.  I did it more for the practice for my next one where I plan to open it all up.

• 1 month later...

Posted this in tools and tips, but also wanted to post it here. 

Having trouble this morning.  Trying to spray some MIG Crystal Green on some clear parts on my UH-1H and can't seem to get it to spray very well.  Thinning 1:1 with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, using a .25 mm tip on my Paasche Talon airbrush, starting at 12-15 psi.  Keep increasing the pressure to get something to flow, then it really just makes a mess.  This is my first time spraying this paint.  My ideas are a 1. larger tip.  AB came with .38 mm tip.  2. Thin it with something else. I dont have the MIG thinner, and don't mind buying it, but it's gonna take a week or so to get it.  3. Thin it even more with the Mr C LT.  Anyone with experience spraying this stuff that can lead me to the promised land? 

2 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Posted this in tools and tips, but also wanted to post it here. 

Having trouble this morning.  Trying to spray some MIG Crystal Green on some clear parts on my UH-1H and can't seem to get it to spray very well.  Thinning 1:1 with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, using a .25 mm tip on my Paasche Talon airbrush, starting at 12-15 psi.  Keep increasing the pressure to get something to flow, then it really just makes a mess.  This is my first time spraying this paint.  My ideas are a 1. larger tip.  AB came with .38 mm tip.  2. Thin it with something else. I dont have the MIG thinner, and don't mind buying it, but it's gonna take a week or so to get it.  3. Thin it even more with the Mr C LT.  Anyone with experience spraying this stuff that can lead me to the promised land? 

I don’t think I thinned mine at all and did multiple passes. 

Floyd

4 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I don’t think I thinned mine at all and did multiple passes. 

Floyd

Thanks Floyd.  I just tried that and didn't have any luck with it.  I may switch to tamiya clear green or something else.

Just a small update.  Added the Werner's Wings first aid kits to the the B posts and closed up the fuselage and painted the yellow that surrounds the pilot and co-pilot doors.  Also painted the upper windshields Tamiya Clear Green, but forgot to take pictures of that.  

20180629_063004

20180629_063004

20180629_063130

20180629_062915

20180629_063047

20180629_063038

20180629_062943

20180629_063018

• JesusNut changed the title to Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 6/29)
On 6/29/2018 at 4:44 PM, midnightprowler said:

Looks great. I wish they had connected the engine and transmission.

Me too.  This one is going to be closed up, so it will probably not be a big deal, but I want to do another one with covers open/removed so I will need to scratchbuild some of that.  The other thing I noticed is that the swashplate linkage is at the back of the tranny, exactly where the short shaft would be going into the tranny.  This cannot be unless the short shaft is offset somehow and I have not done enough research to make sure.  I will have to find some pictures to see how it works.  The other problem was my mistake.  The tranny is sitting way too low and I did not catch it until it was too late.  I will have to live with it on this build for now, and will correct it on the next build.

14 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

Amazing!!!!

Thanks Charlie!  I am forcing myself to find a little bit of time a couple nights a week to work on it.  I have too many things going on and am not making enough time to work on this.  

I love the interior, looks like a well worn combat vet.  Especially the seat belts. Great job on weathering them.    Question - for a helo on the ground, with pilots out - wouldn't the armored side panels be in the retracted position so the pilots could get in and out easily?

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

I love the interior, looks like a well worn combat vet.  Especially the seat belts. Great job on weathering them.    Question - for a helo on the ground, with pilots out - wouldn't the armored side panels be in the retracted position so the pilots could get in and out easily?

Thanks for the compliments.  Yeah, they should be and I should have taken the time to fix that.  For some reason I didn't and I am kicking myself now for it.  It really came down to laziness on my part..😨...will fix it on my next one.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:17 AM, rotorwash said:

Beautiful work, Tom!  I love the interior on this build.

Ray

Thanks Ray.  While I am content with it, I want to do a better job on the next one.  There is still room for improvement in my eyes.  I just hope I can do the rest of the build justice.

14 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Cant wait to see this one finished. That interior is awesome.

Rod.

Thanks Rod! Slowly but surely getting there.  

11 hours ago, Rotorman said:

I agree it s looking really good. I love the interior.

Thanks Oliver!  I feel good about it for my first attempt.  I practiced a little bit after your tutelage earlier on the doors and that Revell 1/32 kit and think I can do better on the next one.