Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 6/29)

58 minutes ago, JesusNut said:

Charlie, please excuse my ignorance, but what is HDR? I don't even know what it is that I don't know.  And where do I find it?  

High Dynamic Range

means that your camera will process photos slightly differently than normal in order to capture greater detail from bright and dark areas in your photo

on the google snapseed app is under TOOLS then on the right side of the pop up window youll see HDR if you have an iphone you can see it on the camera options

This one have HDR

bW9fn8W.jpg

1 hour ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

High Dynamic Range

means that your camera will process photos slightly differently than normal in order to capture greater detail from bright and dark areas in your photo

on the google snapseed app is under TOOLS then on the right side of the pop up window youll see HDR if you have an iphone you can see it on the camera options

This one have HDR

Thanks Charlie.  It looks like my camera on my phone has that feature.  I also did a little research on it online and found that the Canon EOS Rebel I have has something along those lines and the editing software will allow me to do it also.  Another successful day as I learned something I did not know.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, JesusNut said:

Thanls Floyd!  I will take another look at my reference photos.  I thought I saw they were gray on this aircraft, so my plan was to just dirty them up.  I agree on the Eduard panel.  My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is that the gray does not really match the dark gull gray I painted the rest of the interior.  I am hoping that a wash will tone the brightness down some.

Bottom line it is your model.  Enjoy it.  I think it is looking great.

Floyd

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, CharlieUH-1H said:

looking at the picture on your signature, did your dads copter had white front glass frame? like it was repair or something my friend?

The 'white' around the glass is the fiberglass reinforcement around the glass that just hasn't been repainted after being replaced.  It happened all the time with all the windows, noticeably the windscreens and chin bubbles.

Floyd

5 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Bottom line it is your model.  Enjoy it.  I think it is looking great.

Floyd

2 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

The 'white' around the glass is the fiberglass reinforcement around the glass that just hasn't been repainted after being replaced.  It happened all the time with all the windows, noticeably the windscreens and chin bubbles.

Floyd

Thanks Floyd.  As it turns out, I do not have a reference photo that shows that bellows.  I thought I saw one somewhere, but it may have been a restoration bird in some museum or another.  I had no idea that the reinforcement was fiberglass.  I made the assumption that it was unpainted aluminum, probably based on it looking silver in the photos.  And I appreciate the compliment.  I still have a long way to go to match some of the folks I see on here, but I also realize that we all start somewhere.  

2 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Floyd

Thanks Floyd 

• 2 weeks later...
  • JesusNut changed the title to Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 1/30)
33 minutes ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

GREAT!!

AH! YOU DID THE CASE! I DID IT ALSO! GREAT DETAIL! MAN!

I did mine out of aluminum, what about yours?

I used PE out of one of the Eduard sets.  I think it was from the detail set.   Still have to beat it up a little bit.

A little bit of weathering done.  It may seem like I overdid it a little bit, but I think I like it.  This aircraft was a worn out bird, as evidenced in my signature photo below.  I will check with Dad later, but I think the sig pic was taken during the dry season, so that red dust was all over everything.  I still plan to add some pigments, or rather chalk pastels to it, so we will have to see how that turns out.  Please also excuse my picture taking ability.  I am learning photography and trying to learn some post-processing of these photos and I think I overdid some of them above.  

18_01_30_UH-1_WIP_0018

18_01_30_UH-1_WIP_0015

18_01_30_UH-1_WIP_0014

18_01_30_UH-1_WIP_0013

15 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Wow!

15 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

that is awesome!

14 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

man this is fantastic!!!

Thank you gentlemen.  This means a lot coming from model builders such as yourselves.  

6 minutes ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

WILL you add somebody brown pastel in the steps area next on rhe pedals? And joystick? 

I am planning to.  I have never done any pigments, so I need to figure it out.  I want to add then there and in the cargo area and where the CE and DG sit.

• 2 months later...

I'm calling the front office as done!  Weathered with Mig washes and chalk pastels.  I was initially worried that I was overdoing the weathering, but then remembered this aircraft was fast approaching its 300 hour inspection and was dirty and worn.  I also decided to model it during the dry season and Dad said the fine dust was all over everything.  Please let me know if any of you think it is overdone.  It's a little too late to do anything about it, but as this will not be my last one, I want to learn.

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0042

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0041

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0040

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0039

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0038

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0037

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0036

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0035

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0034

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0033

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0032

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0031

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0030

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0029

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0028

18_04_08_UH-1_WIP_0027

• JesusNut changed the title to Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 4/8)
  • JesusNut changed the title to Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1H WIP (Update 6/29)