Spray Booths - Input for Artograph vs Paasche

I'm moving to a new house and am going to have a legitimate man cave finally.  A big part of this was including a dryer vent/pipe outside for a spray booth.  I've been looking at the Artograph 1530 and Paasch HSSB-30-16.  I was wondering if anyone had some input.  These are the thoughts I've had so far:

Artograph 1530: I like the downdraft design and the clear top to let more light in.  I'm not such a fan of having to change proprietary carbon filters yearly(ish) and the filter paper.  It's also 370 cfm between the 2 fans and I will have a 10-15 foot run with 3 90 degree turns by the time it gets outside to the dryer vent.

Paasche HSSB-30-16: Looks rugged, I like the more generic filter.  The fans are 540 cfm, so I wonder if they are better suited to my run.  Not such of fan of needing to mount extra lights inside.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?  Thank you!

I don't have any experience with the Artograph or Paasche, but here are a couple more options to consider if you haven't already:

http://pacepaintbooths.com/pace/Products.htm

https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth

After studying everything I could find online about all four, I decided to give the Vent Works DIY booth a go. I've got all the parts in my garage (they look good) but won't get around to building it for another month or two. All brands seem to have different pros and cons as you note. At the end of the day I suspect any would work fine.

If you are handy beyond modeling, take a look here for an idea for a DIY: https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth.

I actually built my spray booth last year, out of mdf, then saw the above video and took their advice and bought the fan.  materials were total under 140.00.  

For anyone that doesn't have room or funds for a spray booth....the kitchen rangehood works great.....just protect the area from any overspray and do your painting when your lady is out at work etc.

Be careful if you have a gas stove with pilot lights and you plan to use a cardboard box for the spray booth overspray under your rangehood.

Just use common sense to keep things safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of researching a proper spray booth that vents through a window with a vent kit. But for years I've been using my homemade one with complete success. I purchased from Walmart a desktop box type fan that would just fit into the bottom of a large storage bin that fits the model room window. I cut out the bottom so the hole was slightly smaller then the fan, drilled four holes and using wire crisscrossed, I secured the fan. I just place the unit into an open window against one side, and pull the window down to secure it. I  bought some rigid insulation that I cut to fit the opening left that seals off the cold/heat, and keeps the bugs out. Just mount the fan so that it exhausts air out not sucks air in.  I've been using a clip on light to illuminate the inside when I air brush. As for a filter, to be perfectly honest, I've never used one, and the fan still works just fine.  When I've messed up the inside too much from paint, I remove the fan, and clean it with lacquer thinner on a rag, then wipe it dry. I've yet to replace either the bin nor the fan.  The only issue is that I did remove the window screen so you really can't leave the window open in the nice weather. 

Joel 

8 hours ago, Joel_W said:

I'm in the process of researching a proper spray booth that vents through a window with a vent kit. But for years I've been using my homemade one with complete success. I purchased from Walmart a desktop box type fan that would just fit into the bottom of a large storage bin that fits the model room window. I cut out the bottom so the hole was slightly smaller then the fan, drilled four holes and using wire crisscrossed, I secured the fan. I just place the unit into an open window against one side, and pull the window down to secure it. I  bought some rigid insulation that I cut to fit the opening left that seals off the cold/heat, and keeps the bugs out. Just mount the fan so that it exhausts air out not sucks air in.  I've been using a clip on light to illuminate the inside when I air brush. As for a filter, to be perfectly honest, I've never used one, and the fan still works just fine.  When I've messed up the inside too much from paint, I remove the fan, and clean it with lacquer thinner on a rag, then wipe it dry. I've yet to replace either the bin nor the fan.  The only issue is that I did remove the window screen so you really can't leave the window open in the nice weather. 

Joel 

Joel, do you have any pictures of your setup?  This sounds like an easy way to go about it without a bunch of cost.  I'd rather spend the money on kits and buts to make the kits better.

I've got an Artograph 1530. 

No complaints, only praise for it. 

Clear top is handy too, I mounted a light behind and it provides excellent light for my paintwork. 

Small problem? Filters are a little expensive but do last a while depending on how much you spray. 

-Anthony 

On 11/28/2017 at 9:17 PM, ytsejam87 said:

If you are handy beyond modeling, take a look here for an idea for a DIY: https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth.

I actually built my spray booth last year, out of mdf, then saw the above video and took their advice and bought the fan.  materials were total under 140.00.  

How does the fan do? I have a booth I made that has a 300cfm fan and it doesn't seem to be pulling enough. I have over spray floating around in the booth at 18psi

14 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

How does the fan do? I have a booth I made that has a 300cfm fan and it doesn't seem to be pulling enough. I have over spray floating around in the booth at 18psi

I guess it depends on the size of booth.  I have to spray into the booth, but I have no issues.  My booth  is 20" wide, and "12 inches tall, with the fan on top of the booth.  my exhaust run is less than 8 ft  from booth to outside of the basement, with two 90 degree turns.  I am running (at the moment) tamiya paints with mr color leveling thinner with no issues.  

I do recall someone recommending to use the cheapest filter available, to allow the airflow to be as efficient as possible, as those cheap filters are the least restrictive. 

To troubleshoot, you might want to disconnect from your vent pipe, and using some type of candle, check to see if the pull is adequate, possibly showing that your ventwork might be restrictive.  I would also, at that point try it (with candle) without any filter in place.  In my opinion, this would be the least restrictive your vent could be, so if the pull is good, then the problem isn't the hood or fan. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Robert S said:

I use these so I don’t have to open the window that much to vent it 

https://www.rcjaz.com/mrhobby-gsigt03e-vent-attachmentair-duct-for-gt03-mrsuper-booth-p-90068769.html

That's a great idea. Are they the same diameter as a standard dryer hose? If smaller it will not be as efficient with the air flow and cause less "suction in the booth.