Information About Specific F/A-18F

Hello Guys,

I need some help from you. I am looking for information about this aircraft:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/180323/L/USA-Navy/Boeing-F-A-18F-Super-Hornet/166620/

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/180324/L/USA-Navy/Boeing-F-A-18F-Super-Hornet/166620/

It looks like a tanker, but the only pictures I found were on Airfighters.

I would like to build a Hasegawa model from this airplane.

Have anyone of you guys have some information about this aircraft??

Thanks in advance.

The F/A-18 Super Hornets do not have specific tankers.  Any one of them can carry perform the tanker mission.  It is just a matter of carrying the buddy refuelling pod on the centerline, and then four drop tanks on the wings.  On any day, any aircraft in the squadron could be a tanker.

Each US Navy squadron is usually allowed one aircraft with color.  The squadron typically paints it in a full color scheme unique to the squadron, and this is know as the CAG's aircraft (or CO's aircraft) as it carries the name of the air group commander or the squadron CO.  For most squadrons, this aircraft is the 00 aircraft.  The first digit of the modex (in this case 200) represents the squadron's order in the air group or the wing.  In this case, VFA-103 was the second squadron on the carrier.  Then, the next two digits identify the individual aircraft and usually go in numerical order from 00 up.  For carrier squadrons, 00 is typically the CAG's jet, 01 is the squadron CO's jet, and so on.

Any of the Hasegawa F/A-18F boxings should work for this jet, and tracking down decals for VFA-103 shouldn't be too hard, as they are probably the most popular squadron these days.

Chris

About CAG's aircraft... So when each squadron has an aircraft that bears CAG's name, is this just a symbolic thing or is the idea that the CAG can fly any of these aircrafts (all fighter, attack, recon squadrons)? Always thought it was symbolic but not sure what the story is. 

1 hour ago, Janissary said:

About CAG's aircraft... So when each squadron has an aircraft that bears CAG's name, is this just a symbolic thing or is the idea that the CAG can fly any of these aircrafts (all fighter, attack, recon squadrons)? Always thought it was symbolic but not sure what the story is. 

In the early years of NavAir, the CAG would most likely be proficient in all aircraft. I would imagine that's not the case now, so it's symbolic. You also don't get the jet with your name on it. I believe your "assigned" jet with your name on it depends on your status in the squadron. If you're a newbie, you get the higher modex/sidenumbers. The more senior you are, the lower the number. So X00 would be the CAG, X01 would be the CO, X02 would be the XO, X03 would be the next senior officer, and so on and so forth. This is more of a guideline and not a hard and fast rule.

4 hours ago, wgpavan said:

Thanks a lot guys!!!

And thank you Chris!

Now I just need to find 2 more drop tanks and the buddy refuelling pod (wich I never saw in any model). Despite that, I am good to go!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Wolney

You don't mention scale.

The Hasegawa F/A-18F kit includes 4 fuel tanks already in both 1/48 and 1/72.

As for the refueling pod, wolfpack designs makes a resin one, although their page shows the 1/48 as sold out you may try your luck finding it in some hobby store or ebay.

http://wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp48132.html

http://wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp72069.html

Edited by Inquisitor

You can also find a buddy refueling pod in ES-3A Shadow version of the S-3 Viking kits.  There are also resin versions in any of the KA-6B Intruder tanker conversion sets.  The best way to find them is to look for 'buddy pod' or 'D-704'.  There is a bit of a difference between the true, original, D-704 pods, and what is generically called the 'D-704' today, but the difference is minor.  If you really want to get into the weeds on the difference, let me know, but I hope this helps get you started in finding one.

Chris

For the buddy store you are looking for the A/A42-4 or -5 (depending on time frame you are doing).

The -4 was in use from the early 2000's to about five years ago, then the -5 took over. The main difference is the nose RAT, they are different shape. The D704 was not used by the Super Hornet.

This link has a lot of useful info;

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2015/06/things-under-wings-inflight-refueling.html