Exhaust fan for my spray booth

Greetings all,

Like the title says, I'm looking for a suitable fan for my new paint booth. The inside dimensions of the booth are 36 inches wide X 27 inches tall X 24 inches deep. I will be using a 20 x 24 x 1 furnace filter and 4 inch duct-work approximately 32 inches long. Would a 265 CFM fan be enough or overkill ??

Thanks guys,

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

I suggest this article if you haven't already seen it. These guys probably know more about blower performance and specs than most of us here in these forums. If you opt for the blower they suggest (or one similar), consider spending $20 for their square to round fan adapter.

https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth

Steve, I used the fan recommended by the Vent-works folks.  I don't think 265 cfm is overkill at all.  I also concur with David on using vent-works' adapter, even if I used a "cheapo-equivalent by hacking a exterior dryer vent hood into an adapter.   If I did it all over again, I would have also added room for a LED light bar at the top of the unit.  I just don't have room for one now, in mine.  

On 11/30/2017 at 10:14 PM, David Fifer said:

I suggest this article if you haven't already seen it. These guys probably know more about blower performance and specs than most of us here in these forums. If you opt for the blower they suggest (or one similar), consider spending $20 for their square to round fan adapter.

https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth

Thanks David, this is the exact article I read and where I got the fan idea from. I will also be purchasing their fan adapter as well.

Steve

The bathroom fans can be a problem if you use a lot of lacquer paints or other flammable fumes.  They are not always isolated from the air flow and can cause combustion of the fumes.  Some may be ok, you just have to be aware and look in to the design. 

It's not just the paint, it's also the solvent.

I hope you all read that vent-works article, especially the FAQ, which answers "Is the spray booth explosion proof?"

No, to be classified as explosion proof, a vapor proof motor and switches must be used. Explosion proof components are very expensive and would make this booth cost prohibitive. However, for an explosion to occur, the concentration of flammable vapor must be at or above its lower explosive limit (LEL). In most cases, if the fan is running before vapor is introduced, the concentration of vapor will be diluted and less than its LEL.

I'm a technical person. The phrase "In most cases..." just doesn't work it for me...

• 3 weeks later...

Scott, I couldn't agree more with you. Using the small doses of lacquer thinner and gun cleaner, for the last 20 years, and never having a problem, I'll stick with the fan choice above and my lacquer based paints.

Steve