Vallejo Surface Primer

So quick question has anyone here used Vallejo Surface Primer, and if so have you had any problems with it.  I don't know if I got a bad batch or not, but it's almost watery and applying spotichily is the best way to describe it.  I have thinned it down, and not change, though it's funny some times it applies beautifully other times it's enough to pull my hair out.   

Hello

Just started to use it a few months ago, didn’t have the problems you mention and got somewhat decent results after I started applying it in thin coats (especially the first one) and let it dry a few minutes in between. What I found out is that different ratios of pressure, distance and thinning make it prone to tip drying which result in blobs of primer landing on the finish, what airbrush setup and what specific Vallejo product are you using?

Regards

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

I did use it when I tried Vallejo paints, and it didn't stick very well to raw plastic. It easily scratched and chipped. I've seen gone back to Tamiya gray primer and Mig Ammo Acrylic primers.  Never had a single issue with either of them.  I only use the Tamiya lacquer primers under lacquer paints. Everything else gets the Mig Ammo acrylic primers

Joel

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, 04yellowjeep said:

I have added a few drops of Future to an already thinned mix it seems to go on and stay on for me, clean up is a pain but when isn’t it ? :crying:

Makes little sense to add a gloss medium to a primer as it decreases the little nooks and crannies that the paint pigment adheres to. 

One issue is that the plastic surface itself may be too smooth for the acrylic primer to get a proper bite to. you could polish the surfaces with 1,000 grit or so to just rough it up a tad. 

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

I tossed my bottle of Vallejo primer when it 1st came out as it stuck to nothing nor the paint to it.  I've always used Tamiya primers since then, but lately have been using Mig Ammo primers, and have been impressed with them.

Joel

I must confess, I've had similar experiences with Vallejo's polyurethane primer.  I wanted to like it, since I like some of Vallejo's other products, and have used other brands of acrylic paints for years with great success.  And I did some fairly comprehensive testing on clean scrap plastic, adhering to any instructions I found.  (Generally, the advice was layer it on with very thin coats.)  But the stuff came up easily with my finger nail, and tape would reliably lift it, too. I find a lot of Vallejo's Model Color and Model Air paints are similarly fragile, too.  Ironically they, including the polyurethane primers, seemed to reliably stick when applied over gunze lacquer primers. 

I'm using up the last of it where adhesion isn't particularly important.    Looking forward to trying Mig products, and Stynylrez.

• 2 weeks later...