1:20 Scale completely scratch built Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a

Hi Every one

I have been going through my scratchbuilt model builds recently trying to replace photos on posts here and there because of all the hassle I have had from PhotoBucket (I'm sure most of you have as well!). ....and I thought that I would show you my scratch built SE5a I built a few years back!

So.....I built it in 1:20 scale...and it took me about 9 months to complete and was made from balsa,ex Christmas cards,paper,plastic card,tissue,coca cola cans,wire,food packaging,Bulgarian Yogurt pots and any thing else I found useful in the kitchen waste bin!!!!...................no aftermarket accessories were used...I hate them!!!

I have put the photos into sections......please don't think I am pretentious. :blush: ..ok...you can if you want!! :rolleyes:

This first photo is of the real thing and this is what I wanted my model to look like..................

1713535.jpg

.......and here is my SE5a

myse5afinished004.jpg

Section 1...overall photos taken in my back yard!

myse5afinished002.jpg

myse5afinished2008.jpg

myse5afinished2009.jpg

myse5afinished2007.jpg

myse5afinished2005.jpg

myse5afinished2013.jpg

Edited by Fozzy

...and finally here are 3 silly flying pics...minus the pilot and stationary prop...oh and a few of my fingers!!!! :lol:

overalldetail037.jpg

overalldetail038.jpg

overalldetail039.jpg

Well that's it...you will be pleased to hear that that is the last of the photos!

Thanks very much for taking an interest!

Cheers to every one and happy scratch building! :)

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy

This is just SUPERB!!

Don't worry about being pretentious ... this is the kind of modelling that I love!

Post it in every aircraft Forum out there!!  :thumbsup:

The details you've built are excellent!

I have so-o-o many questions ... do you have any WIP pix?

Did you build the skeleton and wrap fabric over the structure?

Is the propeller laminated wood?

This only took you 9 months??

I see you've included a Heads-up display and I don't think this aircraft had ......... aw-w-w I'm just kidding ...   :rolleyes:

Thanx for posting these!!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
spelling
3 hours ago, K2Pete said:

This is just SUPERB!!

Don't worry about being pretentious ... this is the kind of modelling that I love!

Post it in every aircraft Forum out there!!  :thumbsup:

The details you've built are excellent!

I have so-o-o many questions ... do you have any WIP pix?

Did you build the skeleton and wrap fabric over the structure?

Is the propeller laminated wood?

This only took you 9 months??

I see you've included a Heads-up display and I don't think this aircraft had ......... aw-w-w I'm just kidding ...   :rolleyes:

Thanx for posting these!!

Pete

Hi Pete

Firstly thanks for your comments !

Well I did have a complete WIP for the entire build with hundreds of photos over on LSP but PhotoBucket soon put a stop to that and now the the whole WIP is ruined!:angry:

I built the Fuselage structure out of Hardwood and Balsa wood and yes...skinned it with tissue...the rest was built using bits of scrap plastic/card/electrical wire/pieces of annealed Coca Cola can aluminum.

The prop I laminated Balsa wood and hard wood alternately together and sanded it into shape.

....and yes it took me 9 months ...but loved every second of the build.....well maybe not the wings!!:whistle:

Cheers! 

Wow, you're a true artisan.   The paintjob --- it looks so realistic.   The engine so realistic it looks like it's gonna turn.  I notice that in places the paint is hand brushed (?) with realistic imperfections and characteristic sheen which I often see in vintage hardware and adds so much to the realism.   That machine gun --- it looks like real hardware/metal.   The skin looks like real doped fabric.   The rigging looks amazing.  That prop....Yep, this looks like a real plane used in the field.    The first photo is the model and yours is the real deal.

7 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Wow, you're a true artisan.   The paintjob --- it looks so realistic.   The engine so realistic it looks like it's gonna turn.  I notice that in places the paint is hand brushed (?) with realistic imperfections and characteristic sheen which I often see in vintage hardware and adds so much to the realism.   That machine gun --- it looks like real hardware/metal.   The skin looks like real doped fabric.   The rigging looks amazing.  That prop....Yep, this looks like a real plane used in the field.    The first photo is the model and yours is the real deal.

Thanks for your kind words!...yes your correct....some parts were hand painted!