A-6 Wingfold Question

The  struts are called "jury struts". They would normally be removed by the ground crew before the pilot showed up for his walk-around. They travelled with the aircraft to cover the eventuality of the aircraft landing at an airfield/ ship other than its own.

Paul O'Reilly

1 hour ago, Paul O'R said:

The  struts are called "jury struts". They would normally be removed by the ground crew before the pilot showed up for his walk-around. They travelled with the aircraft to cover the eventuality of the aircraft landing at an airfield/ ship other than its own.

Paul O'Reilly

I don't think the struts traveled with the aircraft, they were about 5 to 6 feet long and to my knowledge there is no place in the aircraft to store them. When the maintenance department of the squadron went on detachment or deployment that struts were put in the pack-up and went with all the tools/parts. If the aircraft went on a cross-country flight by itself the struts did not travel with the aircraft, there was no place to put them in the aircraft.

On the ship the struts were used when the aircraft was in the hanger bay and the only time I saw them used on the flight deck was when we went to heavy weather tie down (21 chains on the aircraft) and when the aircraft was going to take an elevator ride during heavy seas. They were not installed while the aircraft was on the flight deck during normal ops.

Respectfully,

GW