Compressor Question - Lowes

I'm looking at getting my first airbrush/compressor set. There's a Kobalt Quiet Tech compressor on sale at Lowe's for $179 and gets excellent reviews. The Paasche compressor I was looking at is $139 on Amazon.

Is there any reason not to pay the extra 40 for a compressor that can be used for other things too (nail guns, etc) instead of one that is pretty limited to airbrushes?

I guess that would depend on your needs. Do you use air tools often? Those little compressors aren't good for much beyond a nail guns or blowing dust off of your work bench. I have a Campbell Hausfield 2-gal compressor that I used for years. It's loud as hell and can only be used in the garage. I eventually replaced it with a dedicated (and very quiet) Pasche unit that I can use inside my house and can't imagine why I didn't make the switch sooner. It looks like the Lowes unit you're asking about is a lot quieter than the C-H unit I have, but still wouldn't lend itself to indoor use:  LINK   My 2-gal compressor never got much use for anything beyond airbrushing, since I'd go to my 30-gal compressor for air tools. Even that is sitting idle for everything except filling-up car tires, since I've been converting to more convenient battery-powered tools. I haven't used my air impact wrench for years. 

Ben

I have a Porter Cable pancake tank compressor from Lowes that works well for me. It is noisy when is it filling the tank, but otherwise soundless. I have learned to turn the switch to the OFF position once it is filled so that I am not startled when it kicks on during an airbrushing session.

I bought it for airbrushing so using for other needs wasn't a factor for me.

As Ben said, it is a personal choice sort of thing.

It might even be on sale now for $99.

HTH,

Bob

Of those two I would go for the Kobalt. With the larger tank(s) it would be refilling far less often. It will also give you more air pressure (and maybe more consistent air pressure/air flow because of the larger tank(s) ) if you ever wanted to run air tools. The Paasche has an output of 20-40 psi which is certainly adequate for airbrushing. But I would prefer more air pressure so that if I needed it, it would be available. And Kobalt makes good tools.

Paasche...1/5 hp and 47 decibels.  Kobalt 1hp and 60 decibels.And a 4.3 gallon tank(s). The bigger motor means it will run with less effort and probably last longer. And it's got wheels!!  :)  

Again, it is personal preference and to some extent where you are doing the airbrushing. But I would go for the Kobalt hands down.

Bob

Kobalt YES YES YES.... FYI 60db that's pretty quiet it's like a normal conversation . I bought a Senco that's similar but a bit louder 75db  and LOVE It. The large tank is a BIG PLUS...

I am liking this one so much I just might have to get it and keep the one I have as a backup...LOL

Just a note if you are a Veteran you can get 10% off the price when you shop in store. just go to the customer service desk ask about the Military discount. Just need some form of proof of service and they will get you set up..

Since you are looking at compressors meant for air tools, save a ton and go to Harbor Freight.   They have a hot dog tank and pancake tank for $50.  use the 20% coupon and get a deal.  I have the hot dog tank going on 3 years now with no issues.  They will be noisy compared to an airbrush compressor.

You get what you pay for at HF. Buyer beware. I saw a hobbyist's table saw there one time, on display...the miter gauge bar was wider than the slot for it in the table! It was useless right out of the box.

And he is looking for a compressor for airbrushing.

True many tools are junk at HF but these little compressors seem to be fine and since you are using it for airbrush use, they are not getting abused and taken from work site to work site.  Like I said, mine is going 3 years strong.  I can buy 3 for the price of one at lowes per the price you found.  Also it is an air tool compressor so it can do double duty if you need it to.  You can use these for airbrushing.

Edited by route62us
  • 2 weeks later...

about 8 years ago I bought a Husky utility compressor with a 2 gal tank. While it was quiet compared to the general home compressor it replaced, it was way to noisy you use in the house as everyone complained. I could only paint during the afternoons or when no one was at home. Almost 3 years ago I had enough of that and bought a Iwata pro with a tank and two Air brush set up for $430 give or take a few dollars. it's so quiet that I can paint any time I want to including in the middle of the night or very early morning and no one hears it nor feels any vibrations. The Husky now resides in the garage for home utility work. 

Joel