caudron c.460 racer color

I am having difficulty fin6ding a mention of what color blue was the Caudron racer that was flown in the Thompson Trophy race in 1936.  Current color photographs don't help, as they're of Tom Wathen's replica built a few years ago.  I've read mention of the airplane being 'dark blue', which makes me think darker than 'French blue', but then why would not a flagbearing French airplane not be painted 'French blue'? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Peter,

You are thinking too much.

You have to consider that if Tom Walthens went to all the trouble to build such a nice replica, they probably did pretty good research into getting the color right.  French Blue on a French airplane.

C2j

Thought about that (and just maybe over-thought!).  Part of my asking came from looking at my rattle-can of Tamiya 'French blue' lacquer and it sure looked lighter than I expected.  But Mr. Wathen doesn't commission half-thought-out projects.  Another part of my thought stream was the Bugatti racer, French as all get-out and painted much darker blue than 'French blue'.  I think the blue on the restoration was color-matched to the original finish. 

• 2 weeks later...

if the blue is specific to french airplanes, each constructor had  his own blue

1934, this pamphlet was edited on Caudron request and describe the C460.
may be the blue ink which was used on the cover was make to be similar to the paint to reminder the airplane color?

couver10.jpg

Edited by Sowar