Whatever happened to inexpensive F/A-18A or Cs

So I've been gone from the hobby a long time (even forgot my old ARC password, and changed emails, so now I'm Frankycee2, not frankycee...)

ANYHOW...

Want to build a not too expensive CF-18 in 1/48 with my 12-year old kid (i'm stationned in Bagotville, Qc, so the CF-18 is a favorite), but all I see are Hasegawas and Kinetics in 1/48 and they are pretty expensive...whatever happened to the good old 'normal' kits like the Revelogram?   Out of production?

Frank

Revell Germany has these:

And aftermarkert decals will probably be necessary for Canada.
1/72 currently listed on their own website,
https://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/aircraft/military-modern/id/04894.html

1/48 which Squadron says in stock soon,

http://www.squadron.com/1-48-Revell-Germany-F-A-18C-Horney-Swiss-Air-Force-p/rg4874.htm

Google just found these folks offering decals

http://www.canuckmodels.com/

Pretty much any modern jet from Monovell or is it Revogram, has listed for around to over $20 for some time now.

look on Amazon too. I found one from Minicraft, https://www.amazon.com/Minicraft-Models-CF-18-Hornet-Scale/dp/B001SX7MGS

Edited by southwestforests
11 hours ago, frankycee2 said:

whatever happened to the good old 'normal' kits like the Revelogram?   Out of production

Frank

Hi Frank,

You can still find them however, depending on where the seller is located you might as well pay up to $45 to get a kit of the F/A-18.

Unfortunately, even our 'humble' hobby has become an expensive-one in nowadays!!!!

Lucky Model has the Kinetic F-18c and Cf-188 kits for about $40 (which is not a bad price, they're good kits). The shipping is not too bad. I usually get them delivered in about 2 weeks to Milwaukee, WI.

I built a few of the Hobby Boss legacy hornets a few years back.  They were actually a lot of bang for the buck.  Engineering almost mirrors Hasegawa, minus a few of the over engineered parts.  Vertical tails will need a little bit of work to grind the tops to more accurately depict hornet tails, and they come chocked with ordnance.  I don't know why more people dont talk about these - as they're great alternatives. 

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

I know where the cheap F-18As are, Canada is buying them from Australia.

And Australia is laughing all the way to the bank.

Yeah, thats just weird...we are we gonna buy next...Mig-29s from Russia???

NO KIDDING! I haven't built a model in a long time because I just got priced out of the hobby! Like southwestforests said, just the increase in inflation is a pretty significant increase!

I think it's incredibly hard for kids to get into it nowadays because of the expense, and the frustration a lot of them have when they end up with a glue bomb after all that expense and time.

That's why it's so great seeing veteran model builders take up mentor roles! I've seen miracles from these types of people!

One consolation is younger people getting into drone piloting which...at least is something? That's its own can of worms of course. You open up a Revell and you don't find any worms in there, although the sprue trees can certainly look like it!

On 12/19/2017 at 2:12 AM, Just call me Ray said:

NO KIDDING! I haven't built a model in a long time because I just got priced out of the hobby! Like southwestforests said, just the increase in inflation is a pretty significant increase!

I think it's incredibly hard for kids to get into it nowadays because of the expense, and the frustration a lot of them have when they end up with a glue bomb after all that expense and time.

The hobby here is growing, and a big part of it is *cheap* kits.  Kids don't need 1/32 super kits. A nice new mould Airfix, Revell or Hobby Boss kit can be had for barely over A$10, which these days is chicken feed, and provide enough fun for the duration of most kid's attention span to be good value

Shane

On 12/22/2017 at 7:13 PM, sweier said:

The hobby here is growing, and a big part of it is *cheap* kits.  Kids don't need 1/32 super kits. A nice new mould Airfix, Revell or Hobby Boss kit can be had for barely over A$10, which these days is chicken feed, and provide enough fun for the duration of most kid's attention span to be good value

Shane

I haven't seen too many, a quick look at the last time I remember being at Micheal's, most of the kits there were in the $15-20 range.

On 15/12/2017 at 1:21 AM, habu2 said:

I think Shawn 'Phantom' Weiler built them all.....    :rolleyes:

Naw... i only built a couple of those old Reveĺs. I do have a nice stash of Hasegawas i have collected over the years.