Blast from the past - MPC 1/25 Datsun 620 resurrected (OOB)

Some kits you just never expect to be rare. Some, especially those by MPC, got issued, reissued and re-reissued and reworked so many times that it makes sense to think they’d be around forever. However, history has shown that’s almost never the case for the more mundane vehicles, like Pacers, Fieros and Pintos. That same fate applies to the MPC 1975 Datsun 620 pickup model as well.

Despite numerous warmovers, customs and reworkings, the 620 hasn’t been largely seen around for years and years. When the Monster Tow Truck version was repopped by Round 2, I don’t think too many of us expected to see the stock ’75 ever see the light of day. However, we were (gladly) wrong, and somehow the good folks at Round 2 have managed to bring back this classic in a much less radical form. You can also build it purely stock… almost.

Clearly, since it is an “everyday” car and an MPC, I was all over this when I saw it at my local shop. Check out this newest in Round 2’s “Legion of the dead”; it proves that with hope, anything is possible!

(Still need that ’75 Sprint and Monza notchback, if you’re listening there, Round 2…)

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/round-2-mpc-1-25-1975-datsun-620-pickup/

1975-datsun-truck-oob-1.jpg?w=400

Edited by Faust

I'm not a car modeler but do have the impression that for dates after the 1960s muscle cars models of what might be called normal cars are not much produced.

Then again, how many 1950s and 1940s 'normal' cars have been produced?

Hmm, something about that brings to mind historical accounts where a thing is described as being "done in the usual manner" and because it was so usual no document recording its details has been found.

Guess similar might be true for "the usual manner of automobile"?

I was excited to see this reissue as well. Since I will probably never be able to own  the actual truck, I figured I would build one.  It does have buckets for the headlights in the grille, but the headlights are the dreaded chromed plastic variety. I have been looking into ways to make  more realistic headlights.  I did not look into the tires as carefully as you did.  I want to build this one stock and lightly weathered.  I did not like these trucks when they were around, but I have grown to really like small pickups, and especially old ones which were simple, and rugged.  And now the small pickup is all but extinct. 

This is a kit I am excited to build if I can solve the headlight problem.

6 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I was excited to see this reissue as well. Since I will probably never be able to own  the actual truck, I figured I would build one.  It does have buckets for the headlights in the grille, but the headlights are the dreaded chromed plastic variety. I have been looking into ways to make  more realistic headlights.  I did not look into the tires as carefully as you did.  I want to build this one stock and lightly weathered.  I did not like these trucks when they were around, but I have grown to really like small pickups, and especially old ones which were simple, and rugged.  And now the small pickup is all but extinct. 

This is a kit I am excited to build if I can solve the headlight problem.

I really think that Round 2 wasn't expecting people to care about the stock tires. I'm surprised myself that anyone but me cares, but that does seem to be the case.

Maybe they can have a service where you can get another two tires for free? Like a mail in thing? I doubt it, but it would certainly make this a better kit! 

As for the headlights, paint them light grey. I mean really light grey, like Model Master Acrylic light grey, or even white. Over the chrome, it'll work surprisingly well. I've done it on some of my kits, and it's very effective. If a bit of the chrome shows through on the raised texture, it just looks like "glint" and still works!